PDA

View Full Version : Send in a Citizen's Militia to guard against Rioting Protestors

DevilsAdvocate
04-28-2015, 08:39 AM
We the people, under common law and the US Constitution have the right to assemble a militia to provide for the common defense and protection of the community. This is established in plain English in the Bill of Rights, and in the past was an extremely necessary part of the community structure. The government cannot infringe upon this right, through licensing or regulation, we are free.

Watching footage of Ferguson burning to the ground, and now Baltimore, the thing that struck me most of all was how helpless the police were. Although they were heavily armed, with plenty of back up, they still stood back and let the riots happen. Knowing that if they intervened, they would just prompt an even more violent backlash. For hours rioters had free reign in large sections of the city which were left totally undefended.

I say when a riot is imminent, we the people exert our rights and send in an armed militia to defend these homes and businesses. We could set up armed patrols to make citizens arrests, and scare off potential looters. Highly targeted stores could be posted with armed guards standing watch.

Private citizens have far fewer limitations on their conduct than police officers (who are bound by innumerable regulations on their behavior when engaging in an arrest). And everything could be documented on camera, settling any inevitable legal disputes.

Unfortunately it seems the present day militia movement is unconcerned about the fate of the inner city, content to lay back in their peaceful rural communities when they could be making a real difference. I say we get organized and make this happen.

http://cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver/Breitbart/Big-Government/2014/Ferguson/ferguson-fire-AP.jpg

Root
04-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Doesn't the Congress have a duty to call/summon the people's militia? Not that we should be waiting for that...

specsaregood
04-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Private citizens have far fewer limitations on their conduct than police officers (who are bound by innumerable regulations on their behavior when engaging in an arrest).

You have gotta be kidding me with this statement. Police officers regularly get away with shit that would send any other private citizen to jail for life (or worse).

wizardwatson
04-28-2015, 09:49 AM
I got a better idea. Why don't we just find out where the drone strikes are happening and go there rather than organize ourselves in such a way to attract them?

DevilsAdvocate
04-28-2015, 10:22 AM
You have gotta be kidding me with this statement. Police officers regularly get away with shit that would send any other private citizen to jail for life (or worse).

Not according to my old Criminal Justice professor who was a former police chief. Police officers are very restricted in the ways they are allowed to approach people and deal with potential criminality.

For example, if a cop suspected your neighbor had a meth operation in his house, he could knock on the door, and be turned away. He would have to go search for some hard evidence or reasonable suspicion before he could take any action. However, you as "Private Citizen Man" don't have to do this. You can go to your neighbors house, break down his door, find the meth lab and make a citizens arrest. No constitutional limitations at all.

Another example, lets say you see someone fleeing from your neighbors house who has obviously robbed it. A police officer would have to act with restraint, pursue the suspect, approach and give him a chance to surrender. Use nonlethal options first...etc. Whereas you as "Private Citizen Man" can just pull out a gun and shoot him.

Notice how in either of these cases, the citizen is on the hook for a lot of liability if his "hunch" turns out to be false. In the first case, he might be charged with breaking and entering. In the second, possibly manslaughter. You still are only a private citizen without the powers of a police officer.

"Citizen justice" such as that of a militia movement is a little tricky. But there's room for it in the legal system, and it can be very powerful if used correctly. I think we need more of this, and less sheepishness. People need to be more self reliant in protecting their own communities instead of relying on police.

CaptUSA
04-28-2015, 10:25 AM
They did it during the LA riots.

http://cdn5.freedomoutpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/58852252.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7ufMwPY.jpg
http://bavatuesdays.com/files/2012/11/Korean-on-roof.jpeg

specsaregood
04-28-2015, 10:28 AM
/.

04-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately it seems the present day militia movement is unconcerned about the fate of the inner city, content to lay back in their peaceful rural communities

Damn straight. Why is that a problem?

JK/SEA
04-28-2015, 11:51 AM
my understanding of Militia's is that they are a buffer between a government hellbent on tyranny...and not getting involved in a potential civil rights violation(s).

DevilsAdvocate
04-30-2015, 06:59 PM
my understanding of Militia's is that they are a buffer between a government hellbent on tyranny...and not getting involved in a potential civil rights violation(s).

It's the duty of the militia to protect the community. If we had upstanding members of the community working together to patrol these inner city communities and provide security against crime and violence, we could change the whole situation.

Damn straight. Why is that a problem?
This criminality doesn't happen in a vacuum. The culture of crime and violence breeding in these areas affects everybody. We should all do whatever we can to change it. And considering that modern day militias don't do anything except drink beer and play soldier, this might actually give them a chance to accomplish something. Maybe they'll even boost their image with the American people.

GunnyFreedom
04-30-2015, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't mind helping if I could afford to but I can't. If anybody does, bear in mind Maryland's strict gun laws.

Do not carry a pistol of any sort unless you already have a concealed carry permit with reciprocity.

If a rifle has any two of the following: folding stock, grenade/flare launcher, or flash suppressor; then it is illegal to possess or carry in Maryland.

It's a good bet that the law in MD will call a collapsible stock a 'folding stock' for the purposes of prosecution under this law.

specsaregood
04-30-2015, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't mind helping if I could afford to but I can't. If anybody does, bear in mind Maryland's strict gun laws.
Do not carry a pistol of any sort unless you already have a concealed carry permit with reciprocity.
If a rifle has any two of the following: folding stock, grenade/flare launcher, or flash suppressor; then it is illegal to possess or carry in Maryland.
It's a good bet that the law in MD will call a collapsible stock a 'folding stock' for the purposes of prosecution under this law.

I wonder if one might have a decent court case here. Since the govt/cops have publicly decided to abdicate their duty to protect property in the riot zone and allow rioters to loot and destroy; it seems one could make an argument that depriving a citizen of weapons to protect their property themselves is unconstitutional. but I'm not a lawyer...

04-30-2015, 07:57 PM
It's the duty of the militia to protect the community. If we had upstanding members of the community working together to patrol these inner city communities and provide security against crime and violence, we could change the whole situation.

This criminality doesn't happen in a vacuum. The culture of crime and violence breeding in these areas affects everybody. We should all do whatever we can to change it. And considering that modern day militias don't do anything except drink beer and play soldier, this might actually give them a chance to accomplish something. Maybe they'll even boost their image with the American people.

Let me be honest here. I don't care what happens in an inner city ghetto hundreds of miles away, it doesn't affect me at all. I don't live there for a reason. If they want to escape the ghetto and live near me as decent people, fine. If they bring that crap here they will be dealt with in ways that will make them want to call those cops they hate to come save them.

JohnGalt1225
04-30-2015, 08:09 PM
We the people, under common law and the US Constitution have the right to assemble a militia to provide for the common defense and protection of the community. This is established in plain English in the Bill of Rights, and in the past was an extremely necessary part of the community structure. The government cannot infringe upon this right, through licensing or regulation, we are free.

Watching footage of Ferguson burning to the ground, and now Baltimore, the thing that struck me most of all was how helpless the police were. Although they were heavily armed, with plenty of back up, they still stood back and let the riots happen. Knowing that if they intervened, they would just prompt an even more violent backlash. For hours rioters had free reign in large sections of the city which were left totally undefended.

I say when a riot is imminent, we the people exert our rights and send in an armed militia to defend these homes and businesses. We could set up armed patrols to make citizens arrests, and scare off potential looters. Highly targeted stores could be posted with armed guards standing watch.

Private citizens have far fewer limitations on their conduct than police officers (who are bound by innumerable regulations on their behavior when engaging in an arrest). And everything could be documented on camera, settling any inevitable legal disputes.

Unfortunately it seems the present day militia movement is unconcerned about the fate of the inner city, content to lay back in their peaceful rural communities when they could be making a real difference. I say we get organized and make this happen.

http://cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver/Breitbart/Big-Government/2014/Ferguson/ferguson-fire-AP.jpg
No that would be racist. We need to, in the words of Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and some on RPF, it's "just property" and we need to give these poor, oppressed, downtrodden proletariat Sons of Liberty revolutionaries "room to destroy." After all this is REALLY the fault of white people and private property owners since they fund the government. They "had it coming" anyway.

phill4paul
04-30-2015, 08:10 PM
The Oath Keepers would probably go but the cops would tell them to leave like they did in Ferguson.