PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Rand Paul speech at Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition 2015 Spring Kickoff

robertwerden
04-25-2015, 04:12 PM
http://www.c-span.org/video/?325573-1/awaiting-iowa-faith-freedom-coalition-summit
It is now over.
Here is the TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWnMoCmMRLI

garyallen59
04-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks.

Does anyone know the line-up? When does Rand speak?

garyallen59
04-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Rand coming up now.

francisco
04-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Rand rocked it.

I watched Rubio speak earlier, waiting for Rand, and Rubio is truly a good speaker with excellent pacing and the ability to find rapport with his audience. Content? Eh, not so much.

I wish I had been keeping track with a stopwatch, because I think that Rand actually got more and longer-lasting applause lines than Rubio! That's an important benchmark to beat.

DevilsAdvocate
04-25-2015, 06:10 PM
I notice he decided not to use the podium. That's kind of like what Walker did at CPAC, he went out on center stage with nothing to look down at, and ended up looking like a preacher giving a sermon.

I don't know if I like how Rand is leaning on the podium with just one hand like that, it makes him look a little nervous and awkward in my opinion.

65fastback2+2
04-25-2015, 06:20 PM
I don't know if I like how Rand is leaning on the podium with just one hand like that, it makes him look a little nervous and awkward in my opinion.

its to give you the idea that you're having a friendly discussion vs. being lectured at

IndianaPolitico
04-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Watching it now, Rand doing well...

kbs021
04-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Great speech. Keep it up Rand.

francisco
04-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Just watched Frothy in real time on the streaming video.

Powerful, polished and warmongering to the max. A complete demagogue. I think that we need Cruz and Huckabee in the race as long as possible to dissipate his support and quash any possibilities this very dangerous man might have.

RonZeplin
04-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Jeb Bush has a stand in, George Secalow (sp?). LOL, he's affraid to even appear!

jct74
04-26-2015, 08:56 AM
here's a better quality video, no windowboxing

juleswin
04-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Love the speech except for the part about holding foreign aid for "countries that burn our flags". This is a silly criteria to use since someone in any country doing something doesn't mean that is the majority opinion in the country. I mean, are we going to stop aid to Israel if a citizen of Israel burns our flag? Also does it mean that he is against flag burning in the US? Just stop the stump speech at "countries that unjustly persecute religious minorities, punish apostasy and treat women as second hand citizens and he will capture 99% of the same countries as the original speech.

This is a line he should drop pretty fast before someone calls him out on it.

Virgil
04-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Love the speech except for the part about holding foreign aid for "countries that burn our flags". This is a silly criteria to use since someone in any country doing something doesn't mean that is the majority opinion in the country. I mean, are we going to stop aid to Israel if a citizen of Israel burns our flag? Also does it mean that he is against flag burning in the US? Just stop the stump speech at "countries that unjustly persecute religious minorities, punish apostasy and treat women as second hand citizens and he will capture 99% of the same countries as the original speech.

This is a line he should drop pretty fast before someone calls him out on it.

The base loves that line so I doubt he'll get rid of it.

-Virgil

presence
04-26-2015, 10:41 AM
12:17 - 12:32

"When they bring the police into your churches
and demand your minister give transcripts of his sermons,
that's when its time for civil disobedience."

- Rand Paul

The fight has taken an unusual turn now, as the City of Houston is attempting to subpoena the contents of sermons and other communications (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/City-subpoenas-sermons-in-ERO-court-case-5822800.php) by local Christian conservative leaders who have spoken in opposition to the law.
http://reason.com/blog/2014/10/15/the-annals-of-bad-ideas-houston-responds

juleswin
04-26-2015, 10:42 AM
The base loves that line so I doubt he'll get rid of it.

-Virgil
Until someone like Cruz uses it to attack him on Israel. Also that line will hurt him with liberals and a lot of independents who are symphatetic to the Palestinian cause.

There enough red meat for traditional conservatives in his anti foreign aid speech without that line. He doesn't need to use it

Sweman
04-26-2015, 12:36 PM
He has practiced his delivery. He's comfortable and doesn't signal his points as much.

squirl22
04-26-2015, 07:06 PM
That's a good speech. His last point about becoming the party that supports the entire bill of rights is well-taken. He has a lot going for him...

William Tell
04-27-2015, 07:56 AM
Wonderful speech, I'm glad he's using liberty to appeal to Christians, and in a successful way.

wizardwatson
04-27-2015, 10:03 AM
Wonderful speech, I'm glad he's using liberty to appeal to Christians, and in a successful way.

Speech overall was good.

But as far as "appealing to Christians" it didn't appeal to me at all. The parts where he talks about religion anyway.

Palestinians

So Rand says don't give Palestinians any money because they might hurt Israel. Why is he saying this? Israel is made up of Jews, which God is not done hating yet by my interpretation of scripture. A people cursed by both God and Jesus. Sitting in a place that Revelation refers to as Sodom and Egypt. Where is the Christian angle here? If I were forced to wager I'd say God is on the side of the Palestinians. Generally speaking, when moral bankruptcy is systemic, I speculate God sides with the underdog.

Persecution of Christians

The very first, or at least one of the first few, thoughts that should run through a Christians head when he thinks of Christians being persecuted isn't that so-and-so did this but that GOD DID IT. Yes, men are responsible for these acts but they don't happen unless God wants them to. With that in mind what is de-funding poor countries that happen to be persecuting Christians going to do? Is Rand going to end the persecution of Christians? Is Rand Jesus?

If anyone would actually read the bible they claim they follow which contains the Word and commandments of Christ given to Him by the Father and preserved by the Holy Spirit they would know exactly what this persecution is all about. It's the 5th seal. The martyrs. Literally a blood sacrifice.

Revelation 6:9-11 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? 11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Might seem like a pointless enterprise to us humans but God is just waiting for that bucket of blood to get filled up before he pushes the button. So this notion that Christians will find peace or acceptance in the world of men is non-scriptural false preaching. When the martyrs job is done then the 6th seal is opened and Babylon will be destroyed and Zion liberated in an event so great in mangnitude that the entire world will experience psychological trauma.

So Rand, who is certainly righteous in his words but obviously not a believer (by his own words), can use Asia Bibi as a political football if he wants but "defending" Christians shows you don't understand Christianity all that much.

One sees now how extraordinarily (that there might be something extraordinary left) -- how extraordinarily stupid it is to defend Christianity, how little knowledge of men this betrays, and how truly, even though it be unconciously, it is working in collusion with the enemy, by making of Christianity a miserable something or another which in the end has to be rescued by a defense. Therefore, it is certain and true that he who first invented the notion of defending Christianity in Christianddom is de facto Judas No. 2; he also betrays with a kiss, only his treachery is that of stupidity. - Soren Kierkegaard

Anyway, it really was a good speech. But Rand should just stay away from pandering to Christians. Any Christian who needs to be pandered to isn't one and Rand only risks painting himself as a false Christian rather than simply an agnostic which is what he really is.