PDA

View Full Version : Affleck: Hide my Slave Owning Ancestor

AuH20
04-20-2015, 09:15 AM
No individual should be responsible for the sins of their ancestors, but Affleck is exactly the type of guy who has been twisting the screws in order to shape such a hyper-racialized social environment. So this is incredibly amusing when you think about it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/04/19/ben-affleck-hide-my-slave-owner-answer.html

Actor Ben Affleck put the PBS documentary series “Finding Your Roots” in a tough spot when he begged for the show not to reveal he had a slave-owning ancestor, emails published b Wikileaks reveal. Affleck had asked the Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates, the host of the show, to censor the information. "Here's my dilemma: confidentially, for the first time, one of our guests has asked us to edit out something about one of his ancestors--the fact that he owned slaves. Now, four or five of our guests this season descend from slave owners, including Ken Burns. We've never had anyone ever try to censor or edit what we found. He's a megastar. What do we do?" Gates wrote in an email to Sony chief executive Michael Lynton on July 22, 2014. PBS did not end up including the segment, however Gates said the reason was they found a more interesting ancestor, not censorship. PBS says it was unaware of the discussions between Gates and Sony.

rpfocus
04-20-2015, 10:05 AM
No individual should be responsible for the sins of their ancestors, but Affleck is exactly the type of guy who has been twisting the screws in order to shape such a hyper-racialized social environment. So this is incredibly amusing when you think about it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/04/19/ben-affleck-hide-my-slave-owner-answer.html

Yes, pretty silly. However, you can't blame the guy for protecting his gig. He makes obscene amounts of money via the Hollywood machine.

AuH20
04-20-2015, 10:07 AM
Yes, pretty silly. However, you can't blame the guy for protecting his gig. He makes obscene amounts of money via the Hollywood machine.

You wonder how this would affect his social circle?

William Tell
04-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Now he gets headlines mentioning his ancestor, way to go, Affleck.:rolleyes:

AuH20
04-20-2015, 10:11 AM

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Ben-Affleck-Duck.jpg

acptulsa
04-20-2015, 10:13 AM

And he still seems fuzzy on the concept that his ancestor's actions really don't reflect upon him, but his attempt to use influence to censor the truth and flush it down the memory hole do reflect upon him.

juleswin
04-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Agree pretty much with everything said above but what a dick move by wikileaks to reveal this. Its one thing to expose schemes by world leader to create havoc, steal from their citizens but what good does this do? This is just gossip for the sake of entertainment. Gutter journalism if you ask me.

AuH20
04-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Agree pretty much with everything said above but what a dick move by wikileaks to reveal this. Its one thing to expose schemes by world leader to create havoc, steal from their citizens but what good does this do? This is just gossip for the sake of entertainment. Gutter journalism if you ask me.

You wonder if Affleck publicly criticized Wikileaks or Assange at one time.

juleswin
04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
You wonder if Affleck publicly criticized Wikileaks or Assange at one time.

Or maybe they just want to drum up attention like a typical filthy tabloid magazine? This is one of those info I wish I could erase from my memory because its someones personal business that doesn't affect my life in anyway shape or form

jmdrake
04-20-2015, 11:01 AM

I guess Julian Assange has decided that it's safer to screw with celebs than it is to screw with people like Hillary Clinton.