PDA

View Full Version : Are You Watching the Immigration Reform Vote on C-Span 2?

nayjevin
06-28-2007, 09:08 AM
If I understand correctly, the bill can be struck if 60 ayes are not reached.

ha ron paul's got me watching senate sessions. this is a revolution.

jj111
06-28-2007, 09:15 AM
If more than 60 votes, what happens?
If less than 60 votes, what happens?

nayjevin
06-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Okay somebody correct me if i'm wrong:

the immigration bill is to reform 1986 immigration laws that are obviously failing. (we have at least 12,000,000 illegals)

tons of people called their senators to say they don't support this bill, because it has several nefarious things attached to it, such as opening the door to the N.A.U. and creating the Real I.D.

If 60 'aye's are reached, I believe the bill then goes to congress, or the pres signing it maybe? i'm not sure about that. I don't think it would yet be in law, however. If 60 'aye's aren't reached, I think the bill is killed/tabled = they have to start over trying to pass it.

amonasro
06-28-2007, 09:21 AM
I thought the bill had to go to the House next if it passed the Senate. And as I understood it, there is LESS support of the bill from the House, which is a good thing.

ShaneC
06-28-2007, 09:23 AM
just turned it on. does it seem like the audio is cutting in and out?

And did they table the RealID provisions? Anyone know?

nayjevin
06-28-2007, 09:24 AM
on screen:

"Senators voting to limit debate & move forward with Immigration bill; 60 'ayes' needed."

"If 60 'ayes' are not reached, Majority Leader Reid says he will pull the bill from consideration."

BLS
06-28-2007, 09:24 AM
I can't believe I'm watching CSPAN2.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/BM1162~Crazy-Doesn-t-Cover-It-Posters.jpg

amonasro
06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
just turned it on. does it seem like the audio is cutting in and out?

And did they table the RealID provisions? Anyone know?

Yeah the audio is really crappy on mine, plus the video is kind of fuzzy. The cable company must realize NO ONE watches this channel!

nayjevin
06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
I thought the bill had to go to the House next if it passed the Senate. And as I understood it, there is LESS support of the bill from the House, which is a good thing.

And more time for people to let their congresspeople know they don't support it

IRO-bot
06-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Anyone know of a link I can read the Bill?

Delaware
06-28-2007, 09:29 AM
breaking news on MSNBC says the bill backers have been dealt a setback by the senate, so im guessing it didnt pass.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 09:30 AM
This is a vote on cloture. This is where we want to stop it, if we can. If however it passes cloture, THEN the bill is voted on.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 09:31 AM
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s110-1639

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Yeah! Cloture was blocked. At least for now.

ShaneC
06-28-2007, 09:33 AM
looks like its dead to me.

Byrd is speaking now....for 20mins.....

Texan4Life
06-28-2007, 09:34 AM
according to the main page on reuters.com:

"Immigration overhaul suffers major defeat in Senate"

nayjevin
06-28-2007, 09:34 AM
does anybody know why obama presided the discussion and everybody debating for 'aye' votes kept saying 'mr. president' ?

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 09:36 AM
does anybody know why obama presided the discussion and everybody debating for 'aye' votes kept saying 'mr. president' ?

Nope, I turned it on too late. That really happen? Wow.

Freedom
06-28-2007, 09:37 AM

It's just the formal title of the presiding member of the Senate. In the House, it's Mr. Speaker.

IRO-bot
06-28-2007, 09:37 AM
SEC. 413. BILATERAL EFFORTS WITH MEXICO TO REDUCE MIGRATION PRESSURES AND COSTS.

(a) FINDINGS- Congress makes the following findings:

(1) Migration from Mexico to the United States is directly linked to the degree of economic opportunity and the standard of living in Mexico.

(2) Mexico comprises a prime source of migration to the United States.

(3) Remittances from Mexican citizens working in the United States reached a record high of nearly $17,000,000,000 in 2004.

(4) Migration patterns may be reduced from Mexico to the United States by addressing the degree of economic opportunity available to Mexican citizens.

(5) Many Mexican assets are held extra-legally and cannot be readily used as collateral for loans.

(6) A majority of Mexican businesses are small or medium size with limited access to financial capital.

(7) These factors constitute a major impediment to broad-based economic growth in Mexico.

(8) Approximately 20 percent of Mexico's population works in agriculture, with the majority of this population working on small farms and few on large commercial enterprises.

(9) The Partnership for Prosperity is a bilateral initiative launched jointly by the President of the United States and the President of Mexico in 2001, which aims to boost the social and economic standards of Mexican citizens, particularly in regions where economic growth has lagged and emigration has increased.

(10) The Presidents of Mexico and the United States and the Prime Minister of Canada, at their trilateral summit on March 23, 2005, agreed to promote economic growth, competitiveness, and quality of life in the agreement on Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America.

(b) SENSE OF CONGRESS REGARDING PARTNERSHIP FOR PROSPERITY- It is the sense of Congress that the United States and Mexico should accelerate the implementation of the Partnership for Prosperity to help generate economic growth and improve the standard of living in Mexico, which will lead to reduced migration, by--

(1) increasing access for poor and under served populations in Mexico to the financial services sector, including credit unions;

(2) assisting Mexican efforts to formalize its extra-legal sector, including the issuance of formal land titles, to enable Mexican citizens to use their assets to procure capital;

(3) facilitating Mexican efforts to establish an effective rural lending system for small- and medium-sized farmers that will--

(A) provide long term credit to borrowers;

(B) develop a viable network of regional and local intermediary lending institutions; and

(C) extend financing for alternative rural economic activities beyond direct agricultural production;

(4) expanding efforts to reduce the transaction costs of remittance flows in order to increase the pool of savings available to help finance domestic investment in Mexico;

(5) encouraging Mexican corporations to adopt internationally recognized corporate governance practices, including anti-corruption and transparency principles;

(6) enhancing Mexican efforts to strengthen governance at all levels, including efforts to improve transparency and accountability, and to eliminate corruption, which is the single biggest obstacle to development;

(7) assisting the Government of Mexico in implementing all provisions of the Inter-American Convention Against Corruption (ratified by Mexico on May 27, 1997) and urging the Government of Mexico to participate fully in the Convention's formal implementation monitoring mechanism;

(8) helping the Government of Mexico to strengthen education and training opportunities throughout the country, with a particular emphasis on improving rural education; and

(9) encouraging the Government of Mexico to create incentives for persons who have migrated to the United States to return to Mexico.

(c) SENSE OF CONGRESS REGARDING BILATERAL PARTNERSHIP ON HEALTH CARE- It is the sense of Congress that the Government of the United States and the Government of Mexico should enter into a partnership to examine uncompensated and burdensome health care costs incurred by the United States due to legal and illegal immigration, including--

(1) increasing health care access for poor and under served populations in Mexico;

(2) assisting Mexico in increasing its emergency and trauma health care facilities along the border, with emphasis on expanding prenatal care in the United States-Mexico border region;

(3) facilitating the return of stable, incapacitated workers temporarily employed in the United States to Mexico in order to receive extended, long-term care in their home country; and

(4) helping the Government of Mexico to establish a program with the private sector to cover the health care needs of Mexican nationals temporarily employed in the United States.

nayjevin
06-28-2007, 09:40 AM
It's just the formal title of the presiding member of the Senate. In the House, it's Mr. Speaker.

thanks. do you know how they choose the presiding member of a bill? does it rotate? when and why?

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Now, go check out this SPP FOIA doc.

excerpt:
"A 10-page partnership “Work Plan for the Financial Services Working Group” is included (somewhat incongruously) among the Health and Human Service records. The “work plan” details 24 specific “deliverables” by officials from the U.S. Treasury, Finance Canada, BANXICO, the Federal Reserve Board – Atlanta, and regulatory agencies from all three countries. The deliverables include “cross-border” cooperation in the areas of car insurance, Social Security totalization for Mexico, banking, and Federal Reserve’s “Directo a Mexico” remittance program.

Among the specific deliverables outlined in the “work plan” is a taxpayer-supported program to improve Mexico’s infrastructure: “Improve North America’s competitiveness by enhancing Mexico’s competitive position through the establishment of a grant fund for development with U.S. and Canadian resources to finance the development of physical infrastructure in Mexico.” The objective has a timeline for completion of 6-18 months."

http://www.judicialwatch.org/6315.shtml

Delaware
06-28-2007, 09:41 AM
MSNBC has an article it was defeated 46 to 53

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Paul introduced a bill in January to shut down this totalization of Social Security for anyone other than Americans. Good for him.

Social Security for Americans Only Act of 2007

http://www.thelibertycommittee.org/pages/spotlight/2007/HR_190_bill.htm

Spirit of '76
06-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Byrd is speaking now....for 20mins.....

No matter what anybody says about Senator Byrd, he's got a very good record on immigration.

As far as other the other WV senator, I was somewhat surprised that Rockefeller is actually listening to us on this one.

Texan4Life
06-28-2007, 09:47 AM
SEC. 413. BILATERAL EFFORTS WITH MEXICO TO REDUCE MIGRATION PRESSURES AND COSTS.

Whats that suppost to do? Make Mexico look like it's "worthy" of being in the NAU when they try and swindle the people into forming the NAU? I hope this bill or anything like gets killed and never brought up again.

kern802
06-28-2007, 09:47 AM
So, is the bill actually dead, or just stopped for the moment? Can they bring it up again next week after everyone has dropped their guard?

IRO-bot
06-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Ready the sections on it. If this bill would have passed....your talking billions of dollars being flooded into Mexico....paid for by the tax payers.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 09:57 AM
So, is the bill actually dead, or just stopped for the moment? Can they bring it up again next week after everyone has dropped their guard?

Supposedly it's dead. But then again, I thought it was a couple of weeks ago and Bush revived it.

It'll be back in one form or another. Count on it. I just hope they don't try to sneak part of it through under the wire by tacking it onto some other bill. It would be really easy for them to do that with the SPP BS.

Swmorgan77
06-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Okay somebody correct me if i'm wrong:

the immigration bill is to reform 1986 immigration laws that are obviously failing. (we have at least 12,000,000 illegals)

tons of people called their senators to say they don't support this bill, because it has several nefarious things attached to it, such as opening the door to the N.A.U. and creating the Real I.D.

Real ID actually has already been passed, but takes effect next year integrating the state DL's. Several states have passed legislation rejecting it, however, including the latest - South Carolina.

The ID provisions in this bill go BEYOND Real ID, including Homeland Security approval for any employment.

THis bill needs defeating, but don't make the mistake of thinking that if it fails Real ID has been defeated. There's a lot of work to do on that still.

Original_Intent
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
The fact that this bill is even being discussed just shows more of King George thinking HE is the decider and to hell with what the citizens want. That more than anything else is what pisses me off:mad: