PDA

View Full Version : College Apologizes for Serving Mexican Food

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2015, 02:49 PM
College Apologizes for Serving Mexican Food During Sci-Fi Event (http://thepunditpress.com/2015/04/16/college-apologizes-for-serving-mexican-food-during-sci-fi-event/)
by Aurelius • April 16, 2015

Stevenson College, part of the University of California, Santa Cruz, is apologizing to its students for serving Mexican food during “Intergalactic” night.

In a letter sent out to students, the college apologized for having “a Mexican food buffet,” while also featuring spaceships and aliens. The college received complaints saying the combination was racist because of the association between Mexicans and illegal immigrants.

“We would never want to make a connection between individuals of Latino heritage or undocumented students and “aliens” and I am so sorry that our College Night appeared to do exactly that,” wrote Carolyn Golz who had taken this picture of the activities before the complaints:
Intergalactic Night

After receiving complaints, Dr. Golz said that the event “demonstrated a cultural insensitivity on the part of the program planners and, though it was an unintentional mistake, I recognize that this incident caused harm within our community and negatively impacted students.”

As a result, Dr. Golz “will require cultural competence training for Programs staff, in addition to implementing mechanisms for future program planning that will ensure college programs are culturally sensitive and inclusive.”
More: http://thepunditpress.com/2015/04/16/college-apologizes-for-serving-mexican-food-during-sci-fi-event/

tod evans
04-17-2015, 02:55 PM
More politically correct BS...

specsaregood
04-17-2015, 02:56 PM

orenbus
04-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Yea, this is stupid.

will require cultural competence training for Programs staff

Wow, even for people that are sensitive on the subject I don't get how they don't see this as being "a bridge too far". :/

Edit: I think this is a case of some loud mouth charlatans seeing an opportunity to advance themselves out of a nothing story and the school capitulating.

LOL just reading through some of the tweet replies (https://twitter.com/carolyngolz/status/588136100297859072):

Peter DeGiglio ‏@PeterDeGiglio 3h3 hours ago
@carolyngolz this has to be a joke right? Are they trying to put the Onion out of business?

Emilio Silvas ‏@esilvas 3h3 hours ago
@carolyngolz No one is offended in the real world. Mexican food is tasty no matter which planet serves it. Anyone offended is looking for it

Daringo ‏@daringo 2h2 hours ago
@carolyngolz DO NOT APOLOGIZE for the food menu. Mexican food is great and very common/popular in California. #growuppeople #wtf

And from Brian :)

B4Liberty ‏@USAB4L 15m15 minutes ago
@carolyngolz Serious question: Are you insane? This is pathetic. I want Mexican food every night!

acptulsa
04-17-2015, 03:28 PM
So, are people saying Mexico is on another planet now?

And was it Mexican, or was it Tex-Mex? Does that mean Texas is on another planet too?

presence
04-17-2015, 03:29 PM
SMDH

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2015, 03:37 PM
And from Brian :)

LOL. Busted. ;)

I have been contemplating a long winded rant for quite a while about the demise of Mexican food. There are areas and events in California where you can't find Mexican food anymore. People assume that new immigration is all Hispanic. Not true at all. Hispanic is being pushed out by Asian in California. And with that, we also have travesties of cuisine corruption. Asian-Mexican fusion. Yuck! Stir fry in a tortilla. And whoever introduced french fries to Mexican food needs to be taken out and shot. Gourmet tacos filled with fries and fried cheese? Give me a break!

morfeeis
04-17-2015, 03:55 PM
I wish this country would just punch itself in the face a few times.

this just may be the most useful sentence ever written in the history of the internet, it just about sums up my feelings on the state of our republic.

Philhelm
04-17-2015, 03:55 PM
". . . culturally sensitive and inclusive."

So fucking weak.

juleswin
04-17-2015, 04:06 PM
I am sure everyone was like "WTF" after reading the headline but then you read the meat of the article and realize they served it on a themed night to somehow connect Mexicans with being aliens

I bet you $1 m bucks that they will never have served Jewish food on "fake crooked nose" day or Redhead food (I know there's nothing like redhead food) on "soul less Sunday". I know nobody ever cares about being PC around here but it was a stupid idea PC or not.

Slave Mentality
04-17-2015, 04:14 PM
I am sure everyone was like "WTF" after reading the headline but then you read the meat of the article and realize they served it on a themed night to somehow connect Mexicans with being aliens

I bet you $1 m bucks that they will never have served Jewish food on "fake crooked nose" day or Redhead food (I know there's nothing like redhead food) on "soul less Sunday". I know nobody ever cares about being PC around here but it was a stupid idea PC or not.

Not a logical comparison at all. Lighten up Francis.

dannno
04-17-2015, 04:37 PM

Sorry, I think you're wrong. Mexican food is very common and a lot of people like it. Pretty sure they planned the theme for the movies and somebody came up with an idea for the dinner menu and didn't give it a second thought.

ThePaleoLibertarian
04-17-2015, 04:40 PM
My best friend went to UCSC, so I spent a fair amount of time there. Santa Cruz is a fun town, but this doesn't surprise me at all. The cultural Marxism in the UC system runs deep.

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2015, 04:42 PM
I am sure everyone was like "WTF" after reading the headline but then you read the meat of the article and realize they served it on a themed night to somehow connect Mexicans with being aliens.

juleswin
04-17-2015, 04:51 PM

WTF as in WTF is wrong with serving Mexican food?

Also, I don't mean aliens as in extraterrestrial, I meant aliens as in a play on words with illegal aliens. But like Danno said, it could have been a coincidence and the dinner and the event organizers did not arrange to prepare Mexican food on that day.

Zippyjuan
04-17-2015, 04:53 PM
So what type of food should one serve at a Sci Fi event? Given that it was college students (who don't usually have lots of money) choices were probably Mexican or pizza (noting nothing Mexican besides food included in the theme). Whole thing is rediculous and over-blown. No matter what you do these days, somebody will get pissed off.

http://thepunditpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Intergalactic-Night.jpg

juleswin
04-17-2015, 05:03 PM
So what type of food should one serve at a Sci Fi event? Given that it was college students (who don't usually have lots of money) choices were probably Mexican or pizza (noting nothing Mexican besides food included in the theme). Whole thing is rediculous and over-blown. No matter what you do these days, somebody will get pissed off.

You know, when you think about it, a Pizza sorta looks like a flying saucer and the pepperoni on pizza sorta looks like the asteroid craters on moon. Add to the fact that college students love pizza should have made pizza the overwhelming favorite. Ofc, there is a possibility that Mexican food has been scheduled on that day and the themed night had no connection to the choice of the menu

orenbus
04-17-2015, 05:18 PM
I hate you guys for talking about mexican food, made me so hungry I just came back from Chipotle. :/

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Whole thing is rediculous and over-blown.

Are you the new guy? I don't recall Zip ever misspelling that word. It's a common spelling error, but maybe just a long day of posting, huh? I do it with they're and their sometimes. No big deal.

Vaccines = Nazi Germany is pretty ridiculous.

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2015, 05:22 PM
WTF as in WTF is wrong with serving Mexican food?

Also, I don't mean aliens as in extraterrestrial, I meant aliens as in a play on words with illegal aliens. But like Danno said, it could have been a coincidence and the dinner and the event organizers did not arrange to prepare Mexican food on that day.

Are you trying to back-track now? You just posted that you agreed with this paranoid, political correct nonsense. "Stupid idea"?

Only a brainwashed politically correct drone would make a connection between Mexican food and "aliens", and then get outraged about it. This is pure paranoia.

PaulConventionWV
04-17-2015, 05:28 PM
If you have to 'connect the dots' to get offended, I think it's safe to say you're a twat.

Natural Citizen
04-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Likely wasn't authentic Mexican food anyhow. Which is really good. More likely, some American concoction pawned off as Mexican.

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2015, 05:36 PM
I hate you guys for talking about mexican food, made me so hungry I just came back from Chipotle. :/

Did you see Hillary? And did you tip?

orenbus
04-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Did you see Hillary? And did you tip?

LOL. No she would have stood out, the placed was packed (probably over 50 customers) and everyone there was under 30, for a second I thought I was in the movie Logan's Run.

No one tips at Chipotle even if they wanted to they wouldn't have a chance to, talk about fast food assembly line seriously. There is hardly time to make decisions on what you want in your buritto before your pushed onto the next person asking you questions, it's a dizzying experience, but the food yum :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KmtIHyCpf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfSGt6rHos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtnas5ScSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uERmpNGgaJA

Ender
04-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Mexican food is my favorite food, anytime, any place.

I'll bet if they served real Mexican food to real aliens, we'd have outer-space friends forever. ;)

Henry Rogue
04-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Likely wasn't authentic Mexican food anyhow. Which is really good. More likely, some American concoction pawned off as Mexican.

I love authentic tamilies, tasty.

PaulConventionWV
04-17-2015, 07:46 PM
//

fr33
04-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Nobody should ever apologize for serving mexican food. That is the best kind of food.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Good.

Dog vomit > Mexican food.

mad cow
04-17-2015, 07:53 PM
They should serve mars bars,milky ways and moon pies on Cinco de Mayo and everything will even out.

TheTexan
04-17-2015, 07:57 PM

Are you suggesting that mexican food is cheaper than other foods, because Mexicans are poor?

That's over the line, man.

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Are you suggesting that mexican food is cheaper than other foods, because Mexicans are poor?

That's over the line, man.

It's veiled antisemitism. It's obvious if you connect the dots.

alucard13mm
04-17-2015, 08:12 PM
I am very annoyed by those over sensitive fuckers that find offense over anything.

I had a friend in this mmorpg game... and his screen name was "Peta File". Someone reported his name as offensive. Peta is a number. Petabyte, megabyte, gigabyte. File is like any file on a computer. Apparently, it sounded like pedophile... seeing how it was an mmorpg, chances are, you will only see the same person only once.

heavenlyboy34
04-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Good.

:eek: Blasphemy! :P Real Mexican food=/= Taco Bell or any other Americanized style. Come visit the Sun Belt and you can find some excellent authentic places like Carlos O'Brien's.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2015, 08:18 PM

Check your privilege.

juleswin
04-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Are you trying to back-track now? You just posted that you agreed with this paranoid, political correct nonsense. "Stupid idea"?

Only a brainwashed politically correct drone would make a connection between Mexican food and "aliens", and then get outraged about it. This is pure paranoia.

I am not back tracking, just clarifying my original post. I also think it's not a stretch to make a connections between the illegal alien and alien. I don't know if you remember the song by sting where he sings about being an alien, an illegal alien. This is a popular word play.

I could easily see someone planning the menu as a joke. The school apologized out of respect and that is the end of story. Respect is ok, and I don't think its the end of the world that people are respectful to each other.

euphemia
04-17-2015, 08:25 PM
I work with people from every continent on earth (except Antarctica). Because of food allergies, I am probably the only person in the entire place that does not look forward to Taco Tuesdays in the cafeteria.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2015, 08:25 PM
:eek: Blasphemy! :P Real Mexican food=/= Taco Bell or any other Americanized style. Come visit the Sun Belt and you can find some excellent authentic places like Carlos O'Brien's.

Brother, I have been to Mexico and eaten authentic Mexican food at out of the way, non touristy spots, eaten Tex-Mex in the heart of Texas as well as being dragged to Chipotle's once a month.

It's carne de caballo, AFAIC...an old, broke down one at that.

:p

That said, I do enjoy a Brazilian or Argentinian churrascaria.

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2015, 08:26 PM
LOL. No she would have stood out, the placed was packed (probably over 50 customers) and everyone there was under 30, for a second I thought I was in the movie Logan's Run.

No one tips at Chipotle even if they wanted to they wouldn't have a chance to, talk about fast food assembly line seriously. There is hardly time to make decisions on what you want in your buritto before your pushed onto the next person asking you questions, it's a dizzying experience, but the food yum :D

It can be good, but not actually authentic. The beef (carne asada) at Chipotle always has gristle. A good carne asada is lean and sliced very thin.

thoughtomator
04-17-2015, 08:30 PM
this kind of thing is why political correctness Nazis ought to be told to go to hell from the get-go - don't give 'em an inch or they'll ride it all the way up your ass til you choke on it

Cissy
04-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Reporting the reporters for having so little regard for Mexican food that they believe it unworthy of being served at a sci fi convention.

I vote they serve calamari at the next Star Wars convention, to atone for their offense.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-17-2015, 08:42 PM
These public and blanket "apologies" are simply a political technique. First of all, you can't demand an apology. Second, you don't apologize beyond the aggrieved party and say "sorry" to everyone. Third, apologizing for something "unintentional" in this drama queen manner is now a damage control technique of the "offending" party.

The result is that people today have no understanding of the meaning of contrition. If I had to write any more on the subject, then there would be more words in quotes for this reason.

Stratovarious
04-17-2015, 09:16 PM
College Apologizes for Serving Mexican Food During Sci-Fi Event (http://thepunditpress.com/2015/04/16/college-apologizes-for-serving-mexican-food-during-sci-fi-event/)

How about f### illegal aliens.... did I say that out loud ?

I'll continue to eat Mexican Food, during whatever I please, and this college should try being illegal aliens in Mexico ....for a good time no senor ?

, ,

heavenlyboy34
04-17-2015, 09:47 PM
How about f### illegal aliens.... did I say that out loud ?

I'll continue to eat Mexican Food, during whatever I please, and this college should try being illegal aliens in Mexico ....for a good time no senor ?

, ,

Ur Thoughtcrime is reported.

Nicklibergamer34
04-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Who the hell serves Mexican food at an sci fi event? Asari, Turian, Salarian or Krogan cuisine would be more appropriate.

Dr.3D
04-17-2015, 09:58 PM
You know, when you think about it, a Pizza sorta looks like a flying saucer and the pepperoni on pizza sorta looks like the asteroid craters on moon. Add to the fact that college students love pizza should have made pizza the overwhelming favorite. Ofc, there is a possibility that Mexican food has been scheduled on that day and the themed night had no connection to the choice of the menu

Well, having pizza would then piss off the illegal Italian immigrants. Ya can't win when you have a country full of illegal immigrants.

TheSecretBillionaire
04-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Who cares if they are offended. The less attention you pay to these baseless complaints the less attention they get.

rp08orbust
04-17-2015, 10:08 PM
I guess you can't serve Mexican food at swimming parties because that implies Mexicans are wet backs. Nor at fencing competitions, because that implies Mexicans like hopping them...

pacodever
04-17-2015, 10:08 PM
But how was the buffet?

fr33
04-17-2015, 10:17 PM
and this college should try being illegal aliens in Mexico ....for a good time no senor ?

If you have a 100 dollar bill they'll treat you like a king.

Stratovarious
04-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Ur Thoughtcrime is reported.I'm watching Spaghetti Westerns now, and have switched to fortune cookies, sweet mother of repentance...

... 'oh the humanity' .....

If you have a 100 dollar bill they'll treat you like a king.I'll give em' a $100 to not treat me like a King...
'can't we all just get along...'...Rodney K....

:D

:shruggs:

, ,

Stratovarious
04-17-2015, 10:32 PM
But how was the buffet?

They sent it to Guantanimo Bay , three of the prisoners were so offended by the ethnic slur they chopped off their own heads with
disposable razors.

, ,

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Well, having pizza would then piss off the illegal Italian immigrants. Ya can't win when you have a country full of illegal immigrants.

Pizza?!! Yeah, we can put the pieces together. You talking about people with acne? You insensitive bastard!

Paul Or Nothing II
04-17-2015, 10:52 PM

It's not just this country, it's Western countries in general; except Japan of course........'cuz they're not white.......

Yup.

True.

If you have to 'connect the dots' to get offended, I think it's safe to say you're a twat.

Hey, hey, hey, there are women on this website......a few......I think......

Good.

RACIST! :D

Obviously!

this kind of thing is why political correctness Nazis ought to be told to go to hell from the get-go - don't give 'em an inch or they'll ride it all the way up your ass til you choke on it

True.

Reporting the reporters for having so little regard for Mexican food that they believe it unworthy of being served at a sci fi convention.

I vote they serve calamari at the next Star Wars convention, to atone for their offense.

Excellent :D

Ur Thoughtcrime is reported.

OMG!

Fair point :D

I guess you can't serve Mexican food at swimming parties because that implies Mexicans are wet backs. Nor at fencing competitions, because that implies Mexicans like hopping them...

Superb :D

Dr.3D
04-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Pizza?!! Yeah, we can put the pieces together. You talking about people with acne? You insensitive bastard!

Oh man, I never thought about it that way... I'm sorry.... I really didn't mean it that way....

Of course when you put the peaces together, you get a circle. Pizza's are round.

RickyJ
04-17-2015, 10:57 PM
I wonder how many Mexicans even know what the English word "alien" even means. You can be an "alien" and not be illegal, hence the adjective "illegal" in front of "alien." Any college that would apologize because some of their students wrongly accused them of being racists is not worth going to in any way.

heavenlyboy34
04-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Oh man, I never thought about it that way... I'm sorry.... I really didn't mean it that way....

Of course when you put the peaces together, you get a circle. Pizza's are round.

Elliptical, in my experience. Only slightly though, so the untrained eye wouldn't notice. :cool:

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2015, 11:02 PM

Round? What's wrong with being round?!!

Dr.3D
04-17-2015, 11:04 PM
Round? What's wrong with being round?!!
Yeah, some of my best friends are round. I think it's due to the beer they drink.

Edit: Usually mine. :p

presence
04-17-2015, 11:20 PM
I'm of the opinion that the people claiming this is somehow culturally insensitive are the ones that need cultural sensitivity training.

orenbus
04-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
Infect me with your love and
Fill me with your poison

Take me, ta-ta-take me
Wanna be a victim
Ready for abduction

Boy, you're an alien
Your touch so foreign
It's supernatural
Extraterrestrial

~ Katy Perry - 2011

clearly pro mexican food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Sd5c4o9UM

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2015, 11:47 PM
I am not back tracking, just clarifying my original post. I also think it's not a stretch to make a connections between the illegal alien and alien. I don't know if you remember the song by sting where he sings about being an alien, an illegal alien. This is a popular word play.

Great song. But it's "legal alien", not "illegal alien".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d27gTrPPAyk

acptulsa
04-18-2015, 06:15 AM
Well, having pizza would then piss off the illegal Italian immigrants.

This. If some smug, self-righteous screecher came at me with that, I'd accuse them of stereotyping Mexicans, because people could and probably have immigrated here illegally from any and every nation on earth.

Ronin Truth
04-18-2015, 07:23 AM
From my experiences, I figure colleges should apologize for serving all "food?".

tod evans
04-18-2015, 07:25 AM
From my experiences, I figure colleges should apologize for serving all "food?".

Get government money out of colleges altogether and the food and education will improve overnight.

Origanalist
04-18-2015, 08:45 AM

It does, daily.

acptulsa
04-18-2015, 09:05 AM
It does, daily.

Yes it does.

But I think he was trying to say it should slap some sense into itself. I'm just not sure if that's possible.

Origanalist
04-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Yes it does.

But I think he was trying to say it should slap some sense into itself. I'm just not sure if that's possible.

Lol, I think the proof is readily available it isn't.

Henry Rogue
04-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Good.

That's one way to get a hot meal.

Danke
04-18-2015, 11:32 AM
http://www.goldismoney2.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72653&d=1429376394

Danke
04-18-2015, 11:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2r6eNvEMiY&feature=youtu.be

Anti Federalist
04-18-2015, 01:29 PM
clearly pro mexican food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Sd5c4o9UM

Ugh, that was awful.

Do I gouge out my eyes, my ears or both.

orenbus
04-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Ugh, that was awful.

LOL 336 million views, 1.1 million likes can't be wrong can they? ;)

Origanalist
04-18-2015, 03:43 PM
LOL 336 million views, 1.1 million likes can't be wrong can they? ;)

Yes.

orenbus
04-18-2015, 03:44 PM

"Whitehouse is racist, why can't we call it the Blackhouse?"

LOL!

Slave Mentality
04-18-2015, 04:16 PM

Pizza = pizza face = college kids have zits =DISCRIMINATION OR SOME SHIT! You are so insensitive brah.

jmdrake
04-18-2015, 04:47 PM

Here's an easy solution. Don't serve any food favored by any ethnic group that might possibly get offended. No Mexican food. No soul food. Do French and Italian people get offended these days? Maybe. Ban that food too. Who knows, there might be a Godfather marathon playing and the cafeteria is serving Italian food. Ban it! Asian people don't seem to get offended so easily so we can keep the Japanese, Chinese and Thai food....but some might get offended by a "kung fu theater" marathon or those bad ninja movies from the 1980s. So ban that too. Oh and no Polish sausages. After all somebody might start chomping on one of those and tell one of those awful "pollock" jokes that used to be popular when I was a kid. (I'm seriously glad that kind of retarded humor went away.) I guess German food is safe. Hot dogs, hamburgers and French fries.....Oh no! We can't have French fries! The French didn't want to invade Iraq so we can only have "Freedom fries!" But after the whole "Charie Hebdo" thing the French seem to have bought into the GWOT so I guess that's okay. Hey, I like Mediterranean food. I guess we can serve that. If Greeks are being offended, call it Lebanese food. If Arabs are being offended call it Greek food. Or maybe we should just eat fried worms and don't tell PETA.

jmdrake
04-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Ugh, that was awful.

Your fault for watching a video that says "Kanye West" and "Katy Perry" in the title. You were duly warned that it had to be awful.

Spikender
04-18-2015, 04:55 PM
I won't even waste whatever energy I have in my fingers to type up a lengthy response.

All that can be said is: What else do you expect from college age Americans? Sadly I am one of them.

jmdrake
04-18-2015, 05:06 PM
I won't even waste whatever energy I have in my fingers to type up a lengthy response.

All that can be said is: What else do you expect from college age Americans? Sadly I am one of them.

Except that it doesn't sound like the college age Americans were the problem but the administration was.

Spikender
04-18-2015, 05:08 PM
Except that it doesn't sound like the college age Americans were the problem but the administration was.

It's expected from college administration. They've been a part of the problem for a long time.

My problem is that the students went along with it. Maybe I'm too quick to judge here.

Mach
04-18-2015, 05:26 PM
If I got one of those letters I would have complained that it offended me.

Maybe the "reds" weren't playing around..... same as above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoPmd_wc7s8

Mach
04-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Oh yeah and, what if there are extraterrestrials on this planet, how do they think that apology to those "aliens" made them feel?

RonPaul4Prez2012
04-18-2015, 07:12 PM
I always knew this guy was anti-latino

http://myenglishimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Aliens-300x231.jpg

orenbus
04-18-2015, 09:59 PM

Yep I think this is the case.

My theory (based on no evidence whatsoever :) ) Imagine the mexican food was ordered by students and it was Chipotle. I'd be pissed, because anti-GMO, organic, buying local, would have gone well with the sci-fi future thinking interstellar theme of living healthier through knowledge but was rebuffed by faculty and twisted into allegations of being insensitive, now that would be irony.

orenbus
04-18-2015, 10:17 PM
It can be good, but not actually authentic. The beef (carne asada) at Chipotle always has gristle. A good carne asada is lean and sliced very thin.

Yea I hear you there went back again tonight and got a steak burrito that had gristle didn't notice it yesterday, was still decent though.

I usually don't read up on the natural food, gmo, organic, anti-biotic use in meat, etc. discussions posted here it wasn't really a high priority area personally I wanted to focus on learning about, but last 36 hours I've been shocked at what I'm reading.

Looked through some older posts cause I wanted to know what Chipotle's rep was from what I consider a pretty critical community when it comes to these things and was surprised to hear the majority positive reviews, including from former employees that were also Ron Paul supporters. The only major criticism I've seen is perhaps labor costs vs. employee wages, overtime not being paid, short breaks, etc., but looking at glassdoor reviews although the general consensus from the employees is that they are being pushed a lot harder than other chains it's still generally positive.

Also going through some articles it seems although their company had their share of missteps many are giving them the benefit of the doubt vs. other food chains in the industry. One can always be skeptical of motivations, but it's good to see a company that may actually be one that can be rewarded based on good behavior, then again I might just be brainwashed through clever marketing, after all eating Chipotle two days in a row? lol.

Check out these two videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtnas5ScSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8R4dvZJ9Ck

Why the agriculture industry hates Chipotle
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/chipotle-scarecrow-ad-integrity-agriculture-97763.html

3-21-2015
But Chipotle remains the food industry’s poster child for antibiotic-free meat. The burrito chain showed its commitment earlier this year when it suffered a pork shortage after discovering issues with its supplier.

Still, the industry seems unlikely to change unless more consumers demand antibiotic-free meat.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/21/antibiotics-meat_n_6916932.html?ir=Business

juleswin
04-19-2015, 09:03 AM
So what type of food should one serve at a Sci Fi event? Given that it was college students (who don't usually have lots of money) choices were probably Mexican or pizza (noting nothing Mexican besides food included in the theme). Whole thing is ridiculous and over-blown. No matter what you do these days, somebody will get pissed off.

Really? I'd image that these guys have been serving dinner for years and there haven't had a problem. I can also come up with a half dozen menu ideas alien related that wouldn't have pissed anyone off.

Sorry but there is no connection between Italian Americans with illegal immigration. I bet you are more likely to win the lottery than meet an illegal Italian immigrant in your daily life. Also, its pizza night not Italian American food night, there is a difference between the two. One serves pizza and the other serves and assortment of Italian foods some of which would look nothing alien or extraterrestrial related.

Mexicans swim in regular swimming pools with their shirts on? I thought it was just something they did when trying to cross the Rio Grande.

Is there any lore about aliens having acne? I understand people think there is no connection between illegal aliens and extraterrestrial aliens but that is not true. Play a word association with as many people as you can and I bet you that virtually nobody will say acne for alien.

This. If some smug, self-righteous screecher came at me with that, I'd accuse them of stereotyping Mexicans, because people could and probably have immigrated here illegally from any and every nation on earth.

But reality says you are wrong, I don't think you can find any 5 mile radius in any big city in American that doesn't contain an sizable number of illegal Mexican immigrants which you cannot say for any other nationality. Some stereotypes are just true

Get government money out of colleges altogether and the food and education will improve overnight.

Yea, but would it lead to the end of issues like this? probably not, my experience with private companies is that they are even more sensitive to customer complaint that governments. These people bend over backwards to appease their customers. Had this happened in a private restaurant, they will be sending out discount coupons along with an apology letter.

Ugh, that was awful.

Don't worry, the older folks in your days said the same thing about the pop music of your time. Its the natural order of things and just like it happened to you, it would happen to all of us. I reckon you prefer old tv shows to newer ones, classic cars to modern cars etc etc.

Your fault for watching a video that says "Kanye West" and "Katy Perry" in the title. You were duly warned that it had to be awful.
This one has Kanye West in the title and its not awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWoUCDTfWqA

One more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbo9QlcLcX8

tod evans
04-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Sorry but there is no connection between Italian Americans with illegal immigration.

Where do you think the acronym WOP came from?

Oversensitive ninnies are a modern day invention.....Piss on the whole lot of 'em...:mad:

phill4paul
04-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Oversensitive ninnies are a modern day invention.....Piss on the whole lot of 'em...:mad:

Plenty out there....

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/334pyu/iama_acticist_against_westerners_racism_towards/

IAMA Acticist against westerners racism towards Asians

Including against :
westerners racism towards Asians in the form of cosplaying Anime/Asian characters that are similar to the "black face" racism. The reason why it is racist for westerners to Cosplay Anime/Asian characters is because imitating Anime/Asian characters are the same as imitating Asians while imitating other race is a form of racism, just like the "black face" racism no matter for what purpose it is good or bad imitating other race is still wrong.

westerners ruining Anime/Asian characters, doing bad/fail Cosplay are only ruining the Anime/Asian characters which in the end hurts the fans of those characters which can reach up to millions of fans [ depend on the popularity of the Anime ]. Because Anime/Asian characters are based on Asians, it is impossible for westerners to ever succeed imitating those characters because westerners are different from Asians in appearance. Not only in appearance but also in cultures which could cause missunderstanding from westerners especially the old generations towards Asians, for example the main reason many westerners who hate Anime have is because they said Anime promotes pedophilia while in Asian culture cuteness are the most "prized" for someone's beauty, in the west an adult who try to act cute will be labeled as pedo-bait there while in Asia that is seen as normal, etc other things like that due to the difference between Asians cultures and westerners culture.

:rolleyes:

http://www.zeusthaber.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/V66JHx3Qhqg8komnsvuCvQIlo1_500.jpg

Danke
04-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Plenty out there

http://www.zeusthaber.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/V66JHx3Qhqg8komnsvuCvQIlo1_500.jpg

Did you get AF's permission to post that?

phill4paul
04-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Did you get AF's permission to post that?

Still mad you didn't win that competition with your costume aren't you?

http://lol-photo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/31.jpg

juleswin
04-19-2015, 09:53 AM
It was a little late but somebody finally gave me a -rep for my post(speech) in this thread. Just like the people in this story, this member was so offended by what I said that he decided to give me a -rep. I guess I could give and over the top apology for hurting his feeling and maybe, just maybe some shit stirring writer can come up with a ridiculous headline "Libertarian forum member against speech". But lets hope nobody falls for that bait.

Seriously my main problem with stories like this is that whenever something like this comes out, there is an automatic knee jerk condemnation against politically correctness. People act like being politically correct is something just liberals do. But the truth is that we all go out of our way to be politically correct, some times its so ingrained in our psyche that we don't even realize we are doing it. I think the normal human behavior is to be courteous, considerate, civil and polite to one another. We subconsciously try not to piss each other off. We don't laugh or stare at handicap people, we don't call women cunts and hoes even when they annoy us and we don't call groups of people derogatory names even when they annoy us. You see, this too is a form of political correctness. Had this been about speech instead of food, you would have seen people mourning the dead of free speech when instead it just a situation of more speech.

So yes, being politically correct is not in of itself bad, its only a problem when it taken to an absurd level. So argue that and not the idea of being politically correct. The problem with this story is that, I don't know how much of a fuzz the students made, all we have is the overreaction from the Mrs Gotz. I lived on campus my first year in college and I know that these menus schedules are written at least 2 weeks in advance, could this be one of those changes that replaced a favorite night like steak night day with Mexican American food day? I know I would have been pissed off if only for a different reason. These are things we do not know about the incident. Trying not to be offensive is not a bad thing, these school offended a few paying customers, they complained and the school apologized for it. End of story

Also to the people that cannot make the connection between alien and Mexican people, I have to wonder how you watch modern comedies where jokes are filled with innuendos, current affairs and pop culture references? The jokes must be going way over your heads if you don't get this one.

Finally, I find it funny that people on a site which bans members for offending religious folks have a problem with people being overly sensitive.

osan
04-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Good.

When was the last time you ate dog vomit?

MX kitchen is OK, but nothing special. I like it, but there are others that are a lot better. The three best European kitchens tie for first and are French, Hungarian, and Italian. Spanish and Portuguese... meh. German - ultra meh. Romanian... meh. Norwegian, not bad but not spectacular. Same for Swedish and Finnish... Scandanavians do great roasts as my upbringing will attest. Polish... meh. And so it goes.

Asian - Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese in that order.

African... Homie don't do bush meat.

We eat lots of Indian, curry, masala, and so on. I like a good rhodesio (Brazil). Puerto Rican food I love because I grew up on it... friend's mom fed me almost daily for many years, may she RIP.

In my limited experience, most foods are nothing to write home about. The great ones, on the other hand...

PaulConventionWV
04-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Finally, I find it funny that people on a site which bans members for offending religious folks have a problem with people being overly sensitive.

Religion is a sensitive topic. Sci-fi themed Mexican food? Not so much.

juleswin
04-19-2015, 11:00 AM

MX kitchen is OK, but nothing special. I like it, but there are others that are a lot better. The three best European kitchens tie for first and are French, Hungarian, and Italian. Spanish and Portuguese... meh. German - ultra meh. Romanian... meh. Norwegian, not bad but not spectacular. Same for Swedish and Finnish... Scandanavians do great roasts as my upbringing will attest. Polish... meh. And so it goes.

We eat lots of Indian, curry, masala, and so on. I like a good rhodesio (Brazil). Puerto Rican food I love because I grew up on it... friend's mom fed me almost daily for many years, may she RIP.

In my limited experience, most foods are nothing to write home about. The great ones, on the other hand...

I am very offended, but not offended enough to give you -rep :). But seriously, how do you figure a continent with 1 billion plus people can sustain any native cuisine with bush meat? You know Africa has loads of cattle ranches, chicken farms, 100s of millions of goats and lamb heads. I have to say that in my 17yrs plus living on the continent, I have yet to eat bush meat. I would wager that more Americans eat bush meat in deer and other big games than Nigerians eat bush meat.

But yea, you probably wouldn't like most African foods, the spices, starch and vegetables used are all very foreign to most Americans who are not off Caribbean or Indian decent and from my experience of giving it to my American friends, its something you need acquired taste to enjoy. But not because of the bush meat.

Also rice, beans, plantains, chicken, beef and fish feature very prominently in most African dishes. You might see parts of the cow that would normally end up in sausages used but that's about it for weird meats used in everyday dishes.

Brian4Liberty
04-19-2015, 11:03 AM
I guess German food is safe. Hot dogs, hamburgers...

Not allowed. Hamburger -> Hamburg, Germany -> Nazis -> Hitler = anti-Semitic food.

GunnyFreedom
04-19-2015, 11:06 AM

My favorite is Greek/Turkish/Mediterranean. Draw an arc from western Greece to southern Israel, swap Syria with Turkey, and you have circumscribed my favorite cultural foods on this planet.

And I love MX food. I agree with your mehs thought. Love serious French food, extraordinarily complicated dishes that are amazing...they are so wonderfully fancy with presentation too...but my palate still gives Greek/Med food supremacy over French.

Maybe I like things less processed? Dunno. Could just be my blood type as to what I prefer for all I know.

Brian4Liberty
04-19-2015, 11:13 AM
The jokes must be going way over your heads if you don't get this one.

There isn't a single person here who doesn't understand the word play. It's that no one believes that was the intent, and that anyone who created and condones this false offense narrative is brainwashed, paranoid, and emotionally unstable.

GunnyFreedom
04-19-2015, 11:28 AM

I am very offended, but not offended enough to give you -rep :).

I admit to finding it interesting that you can recognize the identical offense when it is racial/cultural, and be largely oblivious to the identical offense when it is religious/philosophical. I don't even mean it in a critical sense, since every human has their blind spots; I just find this one a particularly fascinating study of it. A person's life-experiences sets them up for the perspective they will take. I try to shut my eyes, slip on another man's shoes in my mind, and try on life through their eyes until I have a grasp of the perspective from which they see. I usually find that most souls are looking for basically the same things, but we are divided by a common language made distinct in each of our individual perspectives.

So your perspective is disrespect your origin and it's offensive, but religion is some belief you take on. Less offensive.

But a system of faith is really a givenness to a ontological paradigm. Attacking that paradigm, to a believer, attacks the fundamental existence of reality itself, and the origin of all things.

You see, I agree with you that osan's comment was offensive. I am just trying to explain why offending faith is at least as offensive, and for the same reason.

Insult Polacks like it's a real thing and it's a bit offensive. Insult the origin of existence, and His plan for my life, and it's a bit more offensive. Both are the origins of me. One is a happy accident of genetics and families. The other directly criticizes the exact me, and my purpose, and God's plan for my life.

They are both offensive for the exact same reason. You can see the one that has affected you for your entire life, you cannot really perceive very well the one that has only ever been abstract...

juleswin
04-19-2015, 11:55 AM
I admit to finding it interesting that you can recognize the identical offense when it is racial/cultural, and be largely oblivious to the identical offense when it is religious/philosophical. I don't even mean it in a critical sense, since every human has their blind spots; I just find this one a particularly fascinating study of it. A person's life-experiences sets them up for the perspective they will take. I try to shut my eyes, slip on another man's shoes in my mind, and try on life through their eyes until I have a grasp of the perspective from which they see. I usually find that most souls are looking for basically the same things, but we are divided by a common language made distinct in each of our individual perspectives.

So your perspective is disrespect your origin and it's offensive, but religion is some belief you take on. Less offensive.

But a system of faith is really a givenness to a ontological paradigm. Attacking that paradigm, to a believer, attacks the fundamental existence of reality itself, and the origin of all things.

You see, I agree with you that osan's comment was offensive. I am just trying to explain why offending faith is at least as offensive, and for the same reason.

Insult Polacks like it's a real thing and it's a bit offensive. Insult the origin of existence, and His plan for my life, and it's a bit more offensive. Both are the origins of me. One is a happy accident of genetics and families. The other directly criticizes the exact me, and my purpose, and God's plan for my life.

They are both offensive for the exact same reason. You can see the one that has affected you for your entire life, you cannot really perceive very well the one that has only ever been abstract...

Come on now, the smiley face at the end indicates that I was joking. I am not offended that someone in middle American thinks Africa is just like what he sees in the movies or tourist brochure. Not offended at all, first of all I don't think his intention was to offend anyone, he was just talking out of ignorance. You see, some guy gave me a -rep because he was offended by what I said in my previous post and I was just bringing it up to really piss him off. Just for the record, if said person gives me another -rep, I will track all his post down and make sure he ends up with red bars by tomorrow morning. Also don't rep me out of pity, he only has rep power of 1 and I have rep power of 5, he doesn't hurt.

But to the meat of your post, so what if I was offended? which I am not. I am not the one who has problem with people being offended. I think religious folks, nationalities etc etc can be offended by other people's actions just like any group of people. I think this response would be best suited for some of the users above.

Btw, I am also with Christopher Hitchens when he said "you do not have the right not be be offended". The problem I have is people who take offense to other people being offended.

Anti Federalist
04-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Don't worry, the older folks in your days said the same thing about the pop music of your time. Its the natural order of things and just like it happened to you, it would happen to all of us. I reckon you prefer old tv shows to newer ones, classic cars to modern cars etc etc.

No...it's not middle aged angst.

New music sucks.

juleswin
04-19-2015, 01:47 PM

New music sucks.

Ok then, you can prove it by giving me a list of 3 pop music that got radio play, came out with the last 5 yrs that doesn't completely suck.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-19-2015, 05:38 PM
I really miss the Frito Bandito. Now where did I leave that jar of hot sauce?...

orenbus
04-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Ok then, you can prove it by giving me a list of 3 pop music that got radio play, came out with the last 5 yrs that doesn't completely suck.

Can I vote?

1. Thrift Shop
2. Firework
3. Love the Way You Lie

Yay! I'm immune to middle aged angst. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVNUR0r-3KQ

PaulConventionWV
04-19-2015, 07:35 PM

New music sucks.

I'm 25 and I'll attest to this.

jonhowe
04-20-2015, 10:18 AM
LOL. Busted. ;)

I have been contemplating a long winded rant for quite a while about the demise of Mexican food. There are areas and events in California where you can't find Mexican food anymore. People assume that new immigration is all Hispanic. Not true at all. Hispanic is being pushed out by Asian in California. And with that, we also have travesties of cuisine corruption. Asian-Mexican fusion. Yuck! Stir fry in a tortilla. And whoever introduced french fries to Mexican food needs to be taken out and shot. Gourmet tacos filled with fries and fried cheese? Give me a break!

In NYC there is a long running trend of dingy take-out places, owned and operated by Chinese immigrants, serving "mexican food". They look and feel and smell like a chinese takeout, menus with numbers and everything, but they serve 'mexican' dishes.

Confession: I love them. They don't taste like mexican food, but whatever it is they're cooking, I love it.

osan
04-20-2015, 10:53 AM
whatever it is they're cooking...

Seen your cat lately?

And yes, they do cook people's cats.

Friend on 13th street. Chinese rest. opened on corner of 7th, IIRC. Within two weeks, damned near every cat on the block was gone.

osan
04-20-2015, 10:56 AM
I really miss the Frito Bandito. Now where did I leave that jar of hot sauce?...

I take pity on thee. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbYj7ZyqjYY

osan
04-20-2015, 11:01 AM
But seriously, how do you figure a continent with 1 billion plus people can sustain any native cuisine with bush meat? You know Africa has loads of cattle ranches, chicken farms, 100s of millions of goats and lamb heads. I have to say that in my 17yrs plus living on the continent, I have yet to eat bush meat. I would wager that more Americans eat bush meat in deer and other big games than Nigerians eat bush meat.

Hey, it was sort of a yoke.

But yea, you probably wouldn't like most African foods, the spices, starch and vegetables used are all very foreign to most Americans who are not off Caribbean or Indian decent and from my experience of giving it to my American friends, its something you need acquired taste to enjoy. But not because of the bush meat.

Wife is 50% Indian, 50% Chinese, 100% Carribean. I cook with home grown ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers (ghost cultivar).

Also rice, beans, plantains, chicken, beef and fish feature very prominently in most African dishes. You might see parts of the cow that would normally end up in sausages used but that's about it for weird meats used in everyday dishes.

Seriously, I've only eaten the cuisine in N. Africa, which is all arab/muslim. I've little idea, other than bush meat :), what they eat south of the equator.

jonhowe
04-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Seen your cat lately?

And yes, they do cook people's cats.

Friend on 13th street. Chinese rest. opened on corner of 7th, IIRC. Within two weeks, damned near every cat on the block was gone.

I have a cat detector built into my immune system. Allergies. No problems yet.

(The above is a joke. I have no idea if they serve cat. But the kitchen and cooks are in plain view, and the meat is in the shape of a chicken and has wings, so I think it's chicken. Or a pigeon.)

osan
04-20-2015, 11:10 AM
My favorite is Greek/Turkish/Mediterranean.

Yeah, I forgot to add those. Greek kitchen is indeed very good. Medit. is wonderful. If ever you find yourself in Portland OR, Nicholas' Restaurant is great mediterranean, but lunch and dinner time are very crowded and you'll have a wait if you're late.

Draw an arc from western Greece to southern Israel, swap Syria with Turkey, and you have circumscribed my favorite cultural foods on this planet.

And I love MX food. I agree with your mehs thought. Love serious French food, extraordinarily complicated dishes that are amazing...they are so wonderfully fancy with presentation too...but my palate still gives Greek/Med food supremacy over French.

French can be great, but the complexity... meh. :) I like peasant foods. Grandma was a baronness but her cuisine tended toward the simple. She was a staggering chef and an even better baker. Her Viennese pastries were amazing. I feel sorry for all the billions who never got to know what miracles can be made with walnuts.

My great aunt was an even better chef. The things she turned out on a daily basis would make the greatest chefs on the planet weep tears of joy, having come to know that true culinary perfection was in fact attainable. I kid you not.

Maybe I like things less processed? Dunno. Could just be my blood type as to what I prefer for all I know.

I'm with you on that. My palate is simple - boorish even. I am not particularly adventurous with foods. Wildest thing I ate was sea urchin. Tasted like shit. No, worse than shit. And yes, when you raise livestock you learn what shit tastes like. The most evil woman on the planet convinced me to try sea urchin. I will never forget; nor will I forgive. :)

osan
04-20-2015, 11:18 AM
New music sucks.

Not all. There's some really great stuff out there. Most getting heavy rotation... yeah, sucks. Most of that shit is hip-hop or some derivative thereof. The "new country" is truly awful. It seems to me someone wrote a program for composing such music... or at least the lyrics. That stuff is so predictably formulaic that I can barely see how anyone can stand hearing it, much less actually listen. Johnny Meaner... oh, right. Never mind.

Brian4Liberty
04-20-2015, 12:22 PM
In NYC there is a long running trend of dingy take-out places, owned and operated by Chinese immigrants, serving "mexican food". They look and feel and smell like a chinese takeout, menus with numbers and everything, but they serve 'mexican' dishes.

Confession: I love them. They don't taste like mexican food, but whatever it is they're cooking, I love it.

Exactly. It's not "Mexican Food" anymore. But hey, some people may like it. Meow.

I will admit that there has been one positive development that has come from Asian-Mexican fusion (generally created in Chinese owned roach coaches and those "dingy" places you mentioned). That positive development was the introduction of a new hot sauce. Many people were first exposed to Huy Fong Sriracha at those establishments. The rest is history.

dannno
04-20-2015, 12:34 PM
If you think new music all "sucks" then you aren't going to music festivals. Music is far better now than it ever has been. DJ's are mixing everything from Jazz to ancient tribal beats to modern hip hop and making it sound 10x better than it ever was.

Sam I am
04-20-2015, 12:43 PM

authenticity depends on your point of view.

Chipotle serves 100% authentic American food, and it tastes great

acptulsa
04-20-2015, 12:54 PM
If you think new music all "sucks" then you aren't going to music festivals. Music is far better now than it ever has been. DJ's are mixing everything from Jazz to ancient tribal beats to modern hip hop and making it sound 10x better than it ever was.

No, son.

Garbage on the radio, same as it ever was. Good stuff elsewhere, for those who go to the trouble to find it. Just because there used to be Melanie and the Royal Guardsmen on the radio does not mean Jefferson Airplane wasn't good stuff. Just because there used to be Andrews Sisters on the radio doesn't mean Benny Goodman wasn't good stuff.

And hip hop beats don't fix what wasn't broken in the first place.

jonhowe
04-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Exactly. It's not "Mexican Food" anymore. But hey, some people may like it. Meow.

I will admit that there has been one positive development that has come from Asian-Mexican fusion (generally created in Chinese owned roach coaches and those "dingy" places you mentioned). That positive development was the introduction of a new hot sauce. Many people were first exposed to Huy Fong Sriracha at those establishments. The rest is history.

It took me awhile to learn, but the authentic mexican food is found at tiny counters in mexican bodegas in mexican neighborhoods. Incredible food at ridiculously low prices, in a little grocery store with a cat and kittens living in the corner.

Brian4Liberty
04-20-2015, 01:35 PM
It took me awhile to learn, but the authentic mexican food is found at tiny counters in mexican bodegas in mexican neighborhoods. Incredible food at ridiculously low prices, in a little grocery store with a cat and kittens living in the corner.

Yep, those are some of the best.

ThePaleoLibertarian
04-20-2015, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't say all new music sucks, but to say it's better than it's ever been is nonsense - and I do frequent music festivals, by the way. Traditional music from pretty much everywhere is far superior to modern sludge that gets put out now. Music that arises from tradition instead of of corporate profit motives taps into something ancient, beautiful and speaks to the soul. Mixing a traditional black artist like Robert Johnson with Beyonce doesn't make better music, not remotely.

orenbus
04-20-2015, 03:47 PM
Question for you old timers, I'd consider most of what Michael Jackson did as pop music. Would most of the music Elvis played during his time be considered pop music of that period?

mad cow
04-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Question for you old timers, I'd consider most of what Michael Jackson did as pop music. Would most of the music Elvis played during his time be considered pop music of that period?

Oh,yeah.He topped the charts with many Top-40 hits,as did the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

dannno
04-20-2015, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't say all new music sucks, but to say it's better than it's ever been is nonsense - and I do frequent music festivals, by the way. Traditional music from pretty much everywhere is far superior to modern sludge that gets put out now. Music that arises from tradition instead of of corporate profit motives taps into something ancient, beautiful and speaks to the soul. Mixing a traditional black artist like Robert Johnson with Beyonce doesn't make better music, not remotely.

We clearly aren't going to the same music festivals - although I can enjoy most any music festival I like the ones that play conscious bass music. That shit is about as organic as it gets, sometimes it sounds like the earth itself is making the music.

orenbus
04-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Oh,yeah.He topped the charts with many Top-40 hits,as did the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

I'm wondering perhaps if there is some truth that the parents of the generation that grew up with Elvis in general didn't like his for various reasons such as; being raunchy or just sounding like "noise".

mad cow
04-20-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm wondering perhaps if there is some truth that the parents of the generation that grew up with Elvis in general didn't like his for various reasons such as; being raunchy or just sounding like "noise".

Wonder no more,it's a fact.

orenbus
04-20-2015, 06:02 PM

But how could they? He was the king! :)

orenbus
04-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one that's been at chipotle lately.

osan
04-20-2015, 06:43 PM

Depends on what it meant by "pop". I'd call Elvis rock 'n roll.

mad cow
04-20-2015, 07:49 PM
Depends on what it meant by "pop". I'd call Elvis rock 'n roll.

Back in the pre-FM radio days,you might hear an Elvis song,then a Pat Boone song,Followed by a Del Shannon song and then The Four Tops or The Beatles on just about any popular music station and they all shared the same charts.

osan
04-20-2015, 11:23 PM

Parent's were probably saying the same when their children went apey over Mozart.

heavenlyboy34
04-20-2015, 11:37 PM
Parent's were probably saying the same when their children went apey over Mozart.

Mozart, in his heyday, was universally popular. In Austria, Germany, and Italy, for sure. Can't vouch for the other places he toured for certain, but according to his letters to his father he did well. Probably popular in Russia a bit too, as Tchaikovsky wrote a tribute to him called "Mozartiana".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2qN2XjcmfE&spfreload=10

orenbus
04-21-2015, 12:37 AM
Mozart, in his heyday, was universally popular.

Not everyone was a fan.

http://www.willisms.com/archives/salieri.gif

heavenlyboy34
04-21-2015, 12:50 AM
That, and he did what was considered unsavory things with his hips. (hence the nickname "Elvis The Pelvis", lol)

heavenlyboy34
04-21-2015, 12:52 AM
Not everyone was a fan.

http://www.willisms.com/archives/salieri.gif
The Sallieri conflict was fabricated for "Amadeus". As far as anyone can prove, they were buds and admired each other's work. :) Their correspondence and what they wrote about each other seems to testify to this.

anaconda
04-21-2015, 01:44 AM
Maybe the message was that aliens are superior beings and would consequently find Mexican food to be the best cuisine on planet Earth. So those that complained completely missed the point.

osan
04-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Maybe the message was that aliens are superior beings and would consequently find Mexican food to be the best cuisine on planet Earth. So those that complained completely missed the point.

Maybe the message is that the average human being is a thin-skinned idiot of endlessly corrupt character thereby seeking always to read the worst into any situation, regardless how painfully tortured the chain of "reasoning".

juleswin
04-21-2015, 09:37 AM

Yea, and also maybe when a stripper smiles at you while doing her routine, maybe she really likes you this time and not just smiling at you to get more of your money. Its one thing to claim the whole incidence was a coincidence but its a totally different animal to think somehow this was the planners complimenting Mexican food as superior to all other culture's foods. Only a retarded person will take it as a compliment.

Face it, this is most likely a joke at the expense of the Mexicans. They experienced it and they weren't too amused so some of them voiced some degree of disapproval to the admins and they apologized. Folks, this is not very complicated, there is no twist to it. Paying customers will complain when they come to eat and realize they are the subject of some lazy, uninspired joke.