PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Rod Blum Introduces Lifetime Ban On Lobbying for Members of Congress

Brian4Liberty
04-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Rep. Rod Blum Introduces Lifetime Ban On Lobbying for Members of Congress (http://blum.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-rod-blum-introduces-lifetime-ban-lobbying-members-congress)
April 14, 2015
Press Release
Rep. Blum Continues Efforts to Reform Congress with First Bill

WASHINGTON, DC – Today Congressman Rod Blum (R-IA) introduced his first bill, H.R.1740, the No Golden Parachutes for Public Service Act. This legislation would prohibit Members of Congress from ever engaging in lobbying activities after they leave office.

“I firmly believe that the privilege of serving your constituents should be reward enough for Members of Congress,” said Blum. “This bill would finally close the revolving door between Congress and special interest groups, restoring integrity to our political system and ensuring that politicians focus on representing their constituents instead of catering to lobbying groups who offer a lucrative post-electoral career.”

“Since my election, I’ve followed through on my campaign promise to be a different kind of Member of Congress. I am backing legislation that reforms Congress by eliminating luxury travel perks, enacting term limits, freezing salaries, and cutting cadillac pension plans for politicians,” Blum continued. “This lifetime ban on lobbying is another step in that effort to make Congress more accountable to the people by reducing the incentive for our elected officials to use their position for their own personal gain.”

This bill will affect Members that leave office after enactment. Congressman Blum will continue to pursue an agenda that reforms Congress and returns power to the people, not career politicians.

Rod Blum is the Republican Congressman in Iowa’s 1st District. He is a member of the Budget and Oversight & Government Reform Committees.
http://blum.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-rod-blum-introduces-lifetime-ban-lobbying-members-congress

Brian4Liberty
04-14-2015, 12:38 PM

Brian4Liberty
04-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Perhaps this should apply to all Congressional staff as well?

Thor
04-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Someone should introduce a bill preventing the revolving door between big corps and government... like the FDA and Monsatano. Or Pfizer and the FDA. Or Google and the FCC, etc. etc. etc. As long as we are laying out rules and regulation on every breath anyone takes and any drop of water they collect or drink...

oyarde
04-15-2015, 11:54 PM
Perhaps this should apply to all Congressional staff as well?

Considering those pricks are writing bills , yes , I am down with it all, a true public servant would never be interested i .n lobbying for profit anyway

Christopher A. Brown
04-16-2015, 01:06 AM
Rep. Rod Blum Introduces Lifetime Ban On Lobbying for Members of Congress (http://blum.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-rod-blum-introduces-lifetime-ban-lobbying-members-congress)
April 14, 2015
Press Release
Rep. Blum Continues Efforts to Reform Congress with First Bill

Excellent congressman. A keeper!

Ronin Truth
04-16-2015, 05:26 AM
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Though it just might tend to cut into they're retirement income.

morfeeis
04-16-2015, 11:03 AM
I admire the spirit of the bill but i could not support the act of removing someone's rights to work in whatever fashion they see fit. If we removed the money and the power from the federal government then there would be no reason to lobby them. I see this idea as more a cure rather than a bandaid

TaftFan
04-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Good idea. And it doesn't violate their rights...they agreed to it. Contracts 101.