PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul shunned by NRA Meetings

Zippyjuan
04-10-2015, 04:19 AM
Even though he has received their highest Guns Rights rating. Chris Christie also not invited..

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/rand-paul-feud-hangs-over-nra-2016-showcase

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Almost every Republican presidential hopeful will pay tribute to gun rights at the National Rifle Association’s annual meeting on Friday, but one of the few missing candidates is taking shots at the organization instead.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), fresh off his presidential announcement on Monday, is complaining that he was left off the speakers’ list despite boasting an “A” rating from the group.

“The interesting thing is that there’s probably no greater advocate for the Second Amendment in Congress than myself,” Paul told Bloomberg’s Dave Weigel on Thursday. “To not be invited, probably, will serve more to cast aspersions on their group than it would on me. Because my record’s pretty clear.”

Members of Paul’s camp complained to reporters at The Daily Beast and Wall Street Journal that they were snubbed because of the candidate’s ties to a rival conservative Second Amendment group, the National Association for Gun Rights. It’s a theory that Paul himself seemed to endorse on Thursday.

“It probably looks a little bit petty for them not to invite a major candidate because I raised money for other Second Amendment groups,” Paul told Bloomberg.

The NRA sees things differently. According to the group’s spokeswoman, Jennifer Baker, Paul was not singled out for his NAGR ties but was one of several presidential hopefuls who didn’t receive invitations due to the event’s packed schedule. Unlike other scheduled speakers who didn’t receive an invite, including Sen. Lindsey Graham, Dr. Ben Carson, and former Gov. Mike Huckabee, Paul did not push for a speaking slot after the initial snub.

“It is true we did not issue them an invite initially, but we have worked with other people who did not initially receive an invite to include them in the program,” Baker told msnbc. “Rand Paul did not reach out to us. At some point we would have reached capacity – it’s almost a 5 hour program and unfortunately you can’t accommodate everyone – but he did not come to us and ask to be included.”

Asked about the NRA’s claims, a spokesman for Paul did not directly address the invite controversy but passed on a statement from Paul strategist Doug Stafford attesting to the candidate’s bonafides on gun rights.

Firearms enthusiasts and political hopefuls alike flocked to Indianapolis over the weekend for the National Rifle Association’s (NRA) annual meeting.
“Sen. Paul is a champion of the Second Amendment and the strongest voice for freedom in the U.S. Senate,” Stafford said. “He has an unblemished record of support for gun rights. Sen. Paul is happy to work with pro-Second Amendment groups and will always make the issue a top priority.”

Scheduled speakers include former Florida governor Jeb Bush, former Texas governor Rick Perry, Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal, Wisconsin governor Scott Walker, former Senator Rick Santorum, and Sens. Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz. Donald Trump is also set to speak. In addition to Paul, New Jersey governor Chris Christie will be absent on Friday. Christie has feuded with the NRA in the past and has a “C” rating from the group

More at link.

Spikender
04-10-2015, 04:28 AM
Donald Trump > Rand Paul apparently.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-10-2015, 04:52 AM
Much ado about nothing. A blip. Just ZippyJuan and his friends of the liberal media trying to create a story where none really exists.

phill4paul
04-10-2015, 05:09 AM
Good. To say the NRA is milquetoast with regards to the Second is to be giving them too much credit.

otherone
04-10-2015, 05:21 AM
The NRA sees things differently. According to the group’s spokeswoman, Jennifer Baker, Paul was not singled out for his NAGR ties but was one of several presidential hopefuls who didn’t receive invitations due to the event’s packed schedule. Unlike other scheduled speakers who didn’t receive an invite, including Sen. Lindsey Graham, Dr. Ben Carson, and former Gov. Mike Huckabee, Paul did not push for a speaking slot after the initial snub.

“It is true we did not issue them an invite initially, but we have worked with other people who did not initially receive an invite to include them in the program,” Baker told msnbc. “Rand Paul did not reach out to us. At some point we would have reached capacity – it’s almost a 5 hour program and unfortunately you can’t accommodate everyone – but he did not come to us and ask to be included.”

translated:

"He didn't beg us"

fr33
04-10-2015, 05:32 AM
Well, they really don't like NAGR so I believe it.

Danke
04-10-2015, 06:42 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?472297-Rand-Paul-and-Christie-Left-Out-at-Primary-NRA-Event-in-Nashville&highlight=

tony m
04-10-2015, 07:33 AM
We have some personal experience with the NRA in New York State since the SAFE Act was signed into law.

The NYSRPA, New York State Rifle and Pistol Association, arm of the NRA here, distanced themselves from the grassroots. This caused division and neutered the resistance.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/rifle-pistol-association-president-skip-pro-gun-rally-article-1.1739917
King diss'ed the rally but, hey, Nugent is fine representation...

They took over a rally in 2013 and pushed the grassroots out. Wouldn't let them speak and did not want them vending at the event.

In 2014 we vended at the NRA Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg and kicked butt. They wouldn't let us back for 2015, said, "They would pass." And we are on the front lines in the 2A battle in NYS.

They distance from the grassroots. Many in NYS did not renew and do not support the NRA. I cannot support them.

Root
04-10-2015, 07:56 AM
The NRA has ignored the violations of the 2nd ammendment in NJ for a really long time. They will never see a membership from me.

LibertyExtremist
04-10-2015, 08:10 AM
I dropped my membership in 2012. I use to justify being an NRA member by thinking "yeah, they are not perfect, but where would we be without them?" I use to think we would be worse off, but now I'm not so sure. Even if you can get past some of the 2A inconsistencies with the NRA, they don't seem to be bothered by a hawkish foreign policy or the police/surveillance state.

RonZeplin
04-10-2015, 10:03 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/r129s/DSC03696.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/Greg3/ARFcom%20Spring%202010/100_0909.jpg~originalhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/r129s/DSC03688.jpg