PDA

View Full Version : Rand wants term limits?

heavenlyboy34
04-08-2015, 10:22 PM
His recent email thingy:

Dear Fellow Conservative:

I'll cut to the chase.

I'm running for President of the United States!

And today, I'm asking for your most generous support for my campaign's "Stand With Rand" Money Bomb IMMEDIATELY.

You see, I'm running to tackle our $18.1 TRILLION debt.

I'm running to end illegal NSA domestic spying and restore the Fourth Amendment.

I'm running to impose term limits on career politicians in Congress.

I'm running to finally REPEAL ObamaCare, FORCE members of Congress to read the bills they ram into law, and overhaul the tax code.

The truth is, I know the ugly SMEARS are coming.

I've already been called "Democrats' Enemy #1" by some in the press, and the National Democrat Party has been attacking me for weeks!

The White House even called me "dangerous."

I can only imagine what left-wing writers are cooking up even as I write you.

But the truth is, Hillary Clinton and her Big Government Democrat allies fear me because they know I'm not just running to "be President."

They fear me because I'm running to destroy the Washington machine special interests and Big Government politicians love so dearly.

They fear me because polls show me leading Hillary Clinton in swing states Republicans haven't won in a generation.

Fellow Conservative, with your help, I truly believe you and I can not only stop the damage we've seen President Obama and his pals inflict on our country . . .

We can restore liberty and freedom. We can renew respect for our Constitution.

We can unleash a new era of prosperity.

You see, I've taken this message everywhere from inner-city Detroit to Berkeley, California -- and from Kentucky to South Carolina -- and I can tell you, people are listening . . .

. . . even people, the press says, aren't "supposed" to be Republicans!

Now, I'm asking you to help me hit the ground running with your most generous gift.

Fellow Conservative, all eyes are on me right now as I head to New Hampshire.

"Money talks" in politics.

So let's show the Big Government politicians in BOTH parties their days are numbered.

A big Money Bomb for me to start my campaign will send a loud-and-clear message that "we've come to take our country back!"

Please chip in a contribution to the "Stand with Rand" Money Bomb at once!
Not sure this is a good idea-at least as a campaign issue. This, IMO, will not endear him to the "right wing" of The Party. They're typically career politician fanboys/girls.

Also, any meaningful term limits would prevent another Ron Paul from doing decent work in the belly of The Beast for 20+ years.

CPUd
04-08-2015, 10:27 PM
I doubt he expects it to ever come to a floor vote.

William Tell
04-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Yes, he wants term limits. I disagree with him, not a deal breaker for me though. I can see both sides of the argument. But I am personally very much against term limits.

thoughtomator
04-08-2015, 10:31 PM
this is one of those issues where the practical benefits probably outweigh the theoretical negatives

r3volution 3.0
04-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Not sure this is a good idea-at least as a campaign issue. This, IMO, will not endear him to the "right wing" of The Party. They're typically career politician fanboys/girls.

According to the polls (http://www.gallup.com/poll/159881/americans-call-term-limits-end-electoral-college.aspx), 82% of Republicans favor Congressional term limits.

Also, any meaningful term limits would prevent another Ron Paul from doing decent work in the belly of The Beast for 20+ years.

If all men were Ron Pauls, we wouldn't need any constitutional limitations on governmental power at all.

For the average Congressman, however, the possibility of re-election gives them an additional incentive to loot the treasury for the purpose of vote-buying.

It's because of them that we need term limits.

heavenlyboy34
04-08-2015, 10:43 PM
According to the polls (http://www.gallup.com/poll/159881/americans-call-term-limits-end-electoral-college.aspx), 82% of Republicans favor Congressional term limits.

If all men were Ron Pauls, we wouldn't need any constitutional limitations on governmental power at all.

For the average Congressman, however, the possibility of re-election gives them an additional incentive to loot the treasury for the purpose of vote-buying.

It's because of them that we need term limits.
That's a very good point. That's why I'm leaning more in favor of term limits than against it. Also, thanks greatly for links to that poll. The most vocal Republicans I've heard debate the issue were anti-limits, so the stats provide an interesting picture of things. ~hugs~

r3volution 3.0
04-08-2015, 10:49 PM
That's a very good point. That's why I'm leaning more in favor of term limits than against it. Also, thanks greatly for links to that poll. The most vocal Republicans I've heard debate the issue were anti-limits, so the stats provide an interesting picture of things. ~hugs~

No problemo

The potential impact of term limits gets over-hyped sometimes, wrongly held out as some kind of panacea, but it would be a meaningful improvement IMO.

adelina
04-09-2015, 04:03 AM
Term limits are good. I've been in favor of them for some time now. We need term limits to stop the McCains and Grahams of the party. After a couple decades in office, most congressmen start to become part of the problem rather than the solution.

CaptUSA
04-09-2015, 04:30 AM
That's a very good point. That's why I'm leaning more in favor of term limits than against it. Also, thanks greatly for links to that poll. The most vocal Republicans I've heard debate the issue were anti-limits, so the stats provide an interesting picture of things. ~hugs~Really? Back in '94, that was one of the biggest issues in the "contract with America" that Newt put out. It was also one of the first things they turned their backs on once in power.

Personally, I've always thought terms should be limited by the voter. Imagine Ron Paul being term-limited out early.

Unfortunately, because of the lobbyists, the longer someone stays in, the bigger their war chest becomes and the average voter goes by name recognition.

65fastback2+2
04-09-2015, 07:01 AM
I liked his reasoning the other day "If the president should be term limited, so should congress"...bingo. We modified the constitution for one position, it should match for the others. I would personally prefer the amendment be removed from presidential term limits, but I believe in the bigger scheme, they should match. Either be limited or not.

Ronin Truth
04-09-2015, 08:38 AM
ZERO is a nice round term limit number. ;)

Keith and stuff
04-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Ron Paul left Congress for a decade. Typically, term limits allow you to leave for a term and then run again for your previous position. Term limits might have caused Ron Paul to skip a term or two.

mosquitobite
04-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Really? Back in '94, that was one of the biggest issues in the "contract with America" that Newt put out. It was also one of the first things they turned their backs on once in power.

Personally, I've always thought terms should be limited by the voter. Imagine Ron Paul being term-limited out early.

Unfortunately, because of the lobbyists, the longer someone stays in, the bigger their war chest becomes and the average voter goes by name recognition.

Agree. I don't want Thomas Massie & Justin Amash term limited.

I think term limits will only help the establishment who will have access to the party's money.