PDA

View Full Version : Bill would pay gun owners to hand over assault weapons

Suzanimal
04-08-2015, 01:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/grqVlAVm.png

Gun owners would receive tax breaks for voluntarily turning in high-powered assault rifles under new legislation proposed Monday.

The Support Assault Firearm Elimination and Education of our (SAFER) Streets Act expected to be reintroduced next week by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) would provide gun owners with an incentive to turn in their firearms to local police departments.

“Assault weapons are not about hunting, or even self-defense,” DeLauro said. “There is no reason on earth, other than to kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible, that anyone needs a gun designed for a battlefield.”

Though DeLauro is in favor of stronger guns laws that would completely ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition, she emphasized this bill would not force gun owners to turn in their firearms.

The legislation would provide up to $2,000 in tax credits for gun owners who voluntarily hand over assault weapons to their local police departments.

The assault weapons legislation comes in response to the horrific mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., DeLauro’s home state, in December 2012.

DeLauro originally introduced the bill in January 2013, just one month after the Newtown shooting, but the legislation fell short in the Republican-controlled House. She plans to reintroduce it next week when Congress returns from recess.

She said the bill would help “get more assault weapons off the streets."

“Just days after the Newtown tragedy, President Obama asked, ‘Are we doing enough to protect our children?’ And he admitted the answer is, ‘no.’ That must change,” DeLauro said.

DeLauro is announcing the assault weapons legislation this week in conjunction with National Public Health Week.

The co-sponsors include Reps. Betty McCollum (D-Minn.), Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.), Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.), and David Cicilline (D-R.I.).

http://thehill.com/regulation/legislation/237983-dems-would-pay-gun-owners-to-turn-in-assault-rifles

Slave Mentality
04-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Yes, gang bangers need moar tax credits! Great incentive for outlaws who file the standard deduction. Right.

jbauer
04-08-2015, 01:47 PM
So, can I buy any assault weapons for under $2k? How many can I turn in?

jbauer
04-08-2015, 01:50 PM
here's a 22lr "ar 15" for $400 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=477246241

I'd like exact model numbers on these guns so I can turn a bunch in. $1600/gun profit seems like a dang good deal to me.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-08-2015, 01:54 PM
The legislation would provide up to $2,000 in tax credits for gun owners who voluntarily hand over assault weapons to their local police departments.

I enjoy these wordings like up to $2,000. That often means that most are a couple hundred dollars, and only one is at $2,000. Or often none even close to the maximum amount.

AuH20
04-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Nail a cheap UTG rail on an old SKS and Voila! Instant tax deduction. ROFL

ZENemy
04-08-2015, 02:06 PM
The legislation scribblings of men would provide up to $2,000 in money stolen from working Americans for gun owners who voluntarily hand over assault weapons to their local police departments.

yaay I fixed it.

Weston White
04-09-2015, 04:02 AM
“Assault weapons are not about hunting, or even self-defense,” DeLauro said. “There is no reason on earth, other than to kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible, that anyone needs a gun designed for a battlefield.”

“Assault weapons” is just a scary sounding name for a sleek looking rifle--these are not grenade launching machine guns.

Is not killing as many people (threats) as quickly as possible relative to an effective self-defense strategy?

The reason for this need has been established by long established case law, finding the Second Amendment serves to provide military weapons to the populace for their self-defense and to repeal invasion. Only hunting rifles are about hunting.

Local police departments already implement such stupid programs--at the expense of taxpayers.

Spikender
04-09-2015, 04:26 AM
“There is no reason on earth, other than to kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible, that anyone needs a gun designed for a battlefield.”

Seeing as our police force has designated America a battlefield, it pretty much makes DeLauro's point moot.

Stratovarious
04-09-2015, 07:11 AM
They're going to want a receipt so they can investigate whoever you bought from .

presence
04-09-2015, 07:42 AM

1) A weapon isn't an assault weapon until you assaulted someone with it.
2) The 2nd Amendment wasn't written for self defence or hunting.

osan
04-09-2015, 07:46 AM
here's a 22lr "ar 15" for $400 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=477246241

I'd like exact model numbers on these guns so I can turn a bunch in. $1600/gun profit seems like a dang good deal to me.

No no no no... it said UP TO $2000 per weapon. That is a very important qualifier. Bet if your gun is worth $400, you get a $400 or less credit.

Hey, they are THIS stupid... why not a little stupider? And why not this corrupt?

pacodever
04-09-2015, 07:57 AM
“There is no reason on earth, other than to kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible, that anyone needs a gun designed for a battlefield.”

Interesting...

Ronin Truth
04-09-2015, 08:35 AM
How about if we auctioned them off in order to get the best prices? ;)

Stratovarious
04-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Are there any guns left over from the Eric Holders' guns to Mexican Drug Cartel program ?

I'd like to order a few of those , maybe sell some back to the IRS.

By the way if this story doesn't send chills up your spine about government collusion between agencies and manipulation
of citizens , nothing will.

A government needs to be in constant fear of it's subjects or we do not have freedom, maybe something is working after all...

, ,

morfeeis
04-09-2015, 12:07 PM
In the last FBI report rifles (all rifles not just the big black scary ones) killed under 20 people, last month cops killed over 100. i would gladly support a tax rebate program that got dangerous cops off the street....

PRB
04-09-2015, 12:29 PM
it's not confiscation if you're paid to give it up and have a choice.

Ronin Truth
04-09-2015, 12:52 PM
"IF the government cannot trust the people with guns, can the people trust the government?"

"Governments prefer unarmed peasants."

"Politicians love disarmed peasants."

Stratovarious
04-09-2015, 01:41 PM

I agree , however:

The Government (all of the gov), wants your guns (all of them) .

Did you ever stop to wonder why ? You think they could give a care about a few hundred citizens dying from gunshots from
other citizens ?

The biggest cause of untimely deaths in the WORLD is GOVERNMENTS, X's 100's of MILLIONS. Armed Citizen are not the cause.

, ,

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-09-2015, 01:44 PM

I don't see the words "confiscate" or "confiscation" mentioned anywhere in this thread or in that article.

Now, why don't you tell everybody about how you tried to tell me that you own 4+ guns but blatantly lied about it because you've likely never even shot a firearm in your life.

Do you also write those fake articles floating on the internet? You know, the liberal who claims southern heritage and growing up with guns, but now detests guns because he had some kind of epiphany. The last article I saw like that was in the New York Times.

Deborah K
04-09-2015, 01:51 PM

Interesting...

This.

Anti Federalist
04-09-2015, 02:15 PM

Seeing as our police force has designated America a battlefield, it pretty much makes DeLauro's point moot.

I was going to say something along the lines of that:

The people that follow your orders have them, and that's reason enough for me to have them as well.

Anti Federalist
04-09-2015, 02:34 PM

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-130419-boston-manhunt-04.photoblog900.jpg

Deborah K
04-09-2015, 02:55 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-130419-boston-manhunt-04.photoblog900.jpg

They look like they're from the cast of 'Dumb and Dumber'. Are they inbred or something? geez....

nobody's_hero
04-09-2015, 02:56 PM

Then it becomes bribery while using other people's money.

Cissy
04-10-2015, 12:09 AM

+rep