PDA

View Full Version : How Many Registered Republicans?

oldpaths1611
06-28-2007, 06:59 AM
I have a question. Of the dozens, or hundreds, of Ron Paul supporters using these forums...how many of you are actually registered Republicans that will be able to vote for Dr. Paul in the primaries? My fear is that although more and more folks are jumping on the Paul bandwagon every day, the majority are NOT registered Republicans. Those are the folks we need if there's any shot at the White House. So how many do we have here?

gravesdav
06-28-2007, 07:06 AM
I am

BuddyRey
06-28-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm Unaffiliated, but I'm going to have to register GOP to vote for Dr. Paul. I tried to fax in my registration the other day, but the bastards at my county board of elections wouldn't accept it, unless by mail. No wonder nobody votes...it's much too hard to even get registered!

austinphish
06-28-2007, 07:10 AM
you don't have to register with either party in Texas.

duffster
06-28-2007, 07:11 AM
I switched to Republican from Undeclared just recently. My new voter card came in the mail just a day or two ago. Doesn't matter, though. You don't get to vote in our primary.

I envy those of you who CAN vote in a primary. Get registered so you can make a difference.

Buzz
06-28-2007, 07:11 AM
I just registered as a republican, but I'm pretty sure it's too late to vote in the NY primaries. Hopefully not, though.

gravesdav
06-28-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm pretty sure your registration officialy changes in November for NY so you should be able to vote in the republican primary

B964
06-28-2007, 07:19 AM
In New York:
PRIMARY ELECTION
MAIL REGISTRATION Sec. 5-210(3)
Applications must be postmarked not later than August
24th and received by a board of elections not later than
August 29th to be eligible to vote in the Primary
Election.
IN PERSON REGISTRATION
Secs. 5-210, 5-211, 5-212
You may register at your local board of elections or any
state agency participating in the National Voter
Registration Act, on any business day throughout the
year but, to be eligible to vote in the Fall primary, your
application must be received no later than August 24th.

Bison
06-28-2007, 07:26 AM
I am a member of the Constitution Party (http://www.constitutionparty.com) but in Missouri you don't have to declare, so I can vote for Dr.Paul in the primary.

If all the people who are supporting Dr. Paul on the internet are not registered Republican in the states they need to be, then this whole internet buzz thing will have done little good. All the internet postings, videos and blogs need to add up to votes in the primary. I am sure everyone can agree on that.

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 07:28 AM
I'm not registered as a Republican, but in Texas, it's not required to be able to vote in the primary.

damijin
06-28-2007, 07:29 AM
In New Jersey registered independents and newly registered voters can declare on the day of the primary, but I've switched to Republican anyway.

Duckman
06-28-2007, 07:35 AM
I registered Republican to vote in the Florida primary.

oldpaths1611
06-28-2007, 07:41 AM
I just registered as a republican, but I'm pretty sure it's too late to vote in the NY primaries. Hopefully not, though.

I just put in my application to go Republican in NY too, but unfortunately it is too late for the primary. You must be registered in the party of your choice at least one year prior to the primary to be eligible to vote. The NY primary is February 5. I put in the paperwork anyway. I'm hoping that some clerk will screw up somewhere and I'll be allowed to vote anyway!

oldpaths1611
06-28-2007, 07:43 AM
If all the people who are supporting Dr. Paul on the internet are not registered Republican in the states they need to be, then this whole internet buzz thing will have done little good. All the internet postings, videos and blogs need to add up to votes in the primary. I am sure everyone can agree on that.

Exactly. That's the whole point. If Dr. Paul does not do more to reach the core of registered Republicans, this is all a waste of time.

CurtisLow
06-28-2007, 07:59 AM
I switched to Republican

LibertyEagle
06-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Exactly. That's the whole point. If Dr. Paul does not do more to reach the core of registered Republicans, this is all a waste of time.

I agree. I'm dying for him to capitalize on all the anger about the immigration legislation! He has a big opportunity, right now. But, he's going to have to really have his points down.

angrydragon
06-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Re-registered at a republican.

DAZ
06-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Always been independent, but I'm registering Republican for the FL primary. Of course, I'll almost certainly have to fill out an absentee ballot for the primary, so my vote probably won't even be counted!!!

IRO-bot
06-28-2007, 12:21 PM
I am going to Register Republican in the FL primary. I just need to send the form in. I have it filled out.

lynnf
06-28-2007, 12:35 PM
I have a question. Of the dozens, or hundreds, of Ron Paul supporters using these forums...how many of you are actually registered Republicans that will be able to vote for Dr. Paul in the primaries? My fear is that although more and more folks are jumping on the Paul bandwagon every day, the majority are NOT registered Republicans. Those are the folks we need if there's any shot at the White House. So how many do we have here?

I am. But you don't have to be registered as a Republican in Texas. We have open primaries and Democrats and others can vote in the Republican Primary- it's
called a crossover.

lynn

DavyDuke17
06-28-2007, 12:35 PM
I just put in my application to go Republican in NY too, but unfortunately it is too late for the primary. You must be registered in the party of your choice at least one year prior to the primary to be eligible to vote. The NY primary is February 5. I put in the paperwork anyway. I'm hoping that some clerk will screw up somewhere and I'll be allowed to vote anyway!

Where did you see that you must be registered a year before the primary? I am from New York and am registering now, and I haven't seen anything regarding that

RonPaulGetsIt
06-28-2007, 12:59 PM
In New Jersey registered independents and newly registered voters can declare on the day of the primary, but I've switched to Republican anyway.

I live in NJ and haven't voted in the primaries before. I looked at my voters registration card and it says nothing regarding rep,dem or ind. How do I know what I'm registered as? And also if I declare on day of primary how do I do that? At the poll?

hells_unicorn
06-28-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm registered Republican, which is required for Pennsylvania, any other Pennsylvanian Libertarians, Constitutional Party people and other 3rd party guys, as well as you Dems supporting Paul had better hurry up, we're in the eleventh hour here and Pennsylvania Republicans seem to detest Ron Paul.

oldpaths1611
06-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Where did you see that you must be registered a year before the primary? I am from New York and am registering now, and I haven't seen anything regarding that

I called the NYC Board of Election and they confirmed it. I'm pretty sure it's the same statewide.

http://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/register.html

http://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/pdf/documents/boe/fourlanguages/registrationandvotingenglish.pdf

oldpaths1611
06-28-2007, 01:27 PM
I live in NJ and haven't voted in the primaries before. I looked at my voters registration card and it says nothing regarding rep,dem or ind. How do I know what I'm registered as? And also if I declare on day of primary how do I do that? At the poll?

Call your state board of elections.

Dary
06-28-2007, 01:45 PM
A couple of weeks ago I walked into the supervisor of elections in downtown Jacksonville FL and changed my registration from libertarian to republican.

The funny thing though was that they didn’t even ask me for ID.

I was joking with some people at our recent meetup group that if a person had no scruples and they knew who the republicans were, they could go in there, claim that they were someone else, like a Giuliani supporter and change their registration to democrat.

Come primary day, that person wouldn’t be able to vote republican.

Too funny. In Florida of all places.

Swmorgan77
06-28-2007, 01:45 PM
I will be as soon as I get to the elections clerk tomorrow.

iloveronpaul
06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
I am a republican now. I used to be decline to state.

I personaly dislike both major parties.

Go Ron Paul!

acstichter
06-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Most important question for this thread is:

Where is the current info for each state on primary registration and voting?

I know research has been done, is the info aggragated somewhere? I've spent hours on AZ Sec of State websites and found no rules. We are a pseudo Open state. I've voted in previous primaries before for a Republican as a registered Independent.

DavyDuke17
06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I called the NYC Board of Election and they confirmed it. I'm pretty sure it's the same statewide.

http://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/register.html

http://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/pdf/documents/boe/fourlanguages/registrationandvotingenglish.pdf

Thats absolutely ridiculous. Why put up all these obstacles to voting? This is from the NYS Board of Elections:

You can change your party affiliation by obtaining a Voter Registration Form, indicating the change and sending it to the Board of Elections. We will process the information and send you a new voter card reflecting the change in party. You cannot CHANGE your enrollment and vote in the NEW PARTY of your choice in the same year. Please Note: a change of enrollment will go into affect one week following the General Election. The last day to change your enrollment is the same as the last day to register for the General Election (25 days prior to the date of the General Election).
They are promoting partisanship. So basically in New York you have to pick the party you are going to vote for before picking the candidate you want to vote for because very few candidates are even going to be announced that far in advance. If in other states you can change your affiliation the day or better yet have open primaries there is no reason New York requires you to be switch a year before.

I think I am actually going to be able to vote in the primaries because I am registering now (I'm 18), not switching my affiliation, but this is definitely going to stop a bunch of other potential Ron Paul voters I know.

Buzz
06-28-2007, 04:07 PM
^I know, it's serious BS.

oldpaths1611
06-28-2007, 04:23 PM
I think I am actually going to be able to vote in the primaries because I am registering now (I'm 18), not switching my affiliation, but this is definitely going to stop a bunch of other potential Ron Paul voters I know.

I don't think they're going to let you do it, but it's worth a try. You can do what I'm doing and hope for a clerical error somewhere and just go vote anyway without them knowing anything.

MozoVote
06-28-2007, 05:50 PM
North Carolina allows unaffiliated voters to participate in primaries. I never have bothered to before, however.

Patrick Henry
06-28-2007, 08:24 PM

I was registered as "unafilliated" but voted for the Constitution candidate in the last two generals. I voted for myself in the state races if the Constitutionalist wasn't on the ballot. I have since registered Republican so as to vote for the good Dr. in the primaries.

UCFGavin
06-28-2007, 08:32 PM
changing from libertarian to be able to vote in the primaries.

UCFGavin
06-28-2007, 08:34 PM
that New York thing has to be bullshit

oldpaths1611
06-29-2007, 11:35 AM

I've now been on the phone with the New York Board of Elections several times, and it's no exagerration when I say that I've never dealt with a more incompetent and uninformed group of people. They have no idea what they're doing and every time you talk to them you get a different answer. Most of them don't speak English and those that do might as well not. I was told several times that I would not be able to vote in the primary, but now I'm being told that I will. Bottom line, if you're in NY and haven't registered yet as a Republican, do it now. I'm pretty sure you'll get the same deal I got. I registered a couple of weeks ago and just received notice that my party affiliation goes into effect 11/13/07. That SHOULD, I hope, make me good to go for the February primaries. If you're in NY, do it now if you haven't already. It will be too late if you put it off...if it isn't too late already! (Confused? So am I.)

DavyDuke17
06-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I've read so many different things regarding it on there website that seem to contradict eachother. I have no idea what the deal is, but you are right.. everyone in New York needs to register Republican ASAP because if they realize there are a large number of voters switching to Republican to vote for Ron Paul do not think that they won't use the ambiguity of the rules to screw Ron Paul voters.

Mesogen
07-02-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm in Tennessee and I think you just register and you don't have to declare, but when you go vote you tell them which primary you want to vote in.

But I have a problem. I'm not sure if I'll still be living in Tennessee come super Tuesday. I don't know where I'll be living either. I'll be screwed if I move to a state that had a deadline months ago.

Maybe I can just vote absentee? But we all know how that works out.

Roxi
07-02-2007, 07:13 PM
I switched to Republican from Undeclared just recently. My new voter card came in the mail just a day or two ago. Doesn't matter, though. You don't get to vote in our primary.

I envy those of you who CAN vote in a primary. Get registered so you can make a difference.

go vote in a state that is open registration..im not sure which ones are but ive heard there are states anyone can vote in