PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Benton not part of Rand Paul campaign, will head up pro-Rand super PAC instead

jct74
04-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Rand Paul Taps Jesse Benton to Run His Super PAC
The longtime family strategist will head up America's Liberty PAC, a Paul-sanctioned outside group.

BY SHANE GOLDMACHER
April 6, 2015

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky—Rand Paul's presidential campaign is prepared for launch—and so is his super PAC.

Roughly two weeks ago, the Kentucky senator and his top operatives began the process of severing ties with longtime Paul strategist Jesse Benton, who will helm the independent unlimited-money group established to boost Paul's candidacy and, more than likely, tear down his presidential rivals.

Benton's role with the super PAC will be general consultant, according to a person familiar with the arrangement. He will be charged with both crafting strategy and helping to reach the goal of banking between $20 million and $30 million to support Paul.

The plan is for Benton to use an existing entity, America's Liberty PAC, which was founded by former Ron Paul strategist John Tate several years ago to be Rand Paul's 2016 super PAC.

read more:
http://www.nationaljournal.com/2016-elections/rand-paul-taps-jesse-benton-to-run-his-super-pac-20150406

orenbus
04-06-2015, 08:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFU4D1pQqo

orenbus
04-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Question: So this means any money donated to the official campaign can't then be transferred to this PAC correct? because of FEC restrictions?

NewRightLibertarian
04-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Far less bad than him being directly involved in the campaign. Lets see how he fucks this PAC up now.

eleganz
04-06-2015, 08:53 PM
Question: So this means any money donated to the official campaign can't then be transferred to this PAC correct? because of FEC restrictions?

They wouldn't be able to work together in anyway which would I assume, mean sending money to each other~

Inkblots
04-06-2015, 08:54 PM

Correct. Their funds must be kept separate, and they are forbidden to coordinate strategy. Benton will be barred by law from having any say at all in the Rand 2016 campaign. Just as I thought he would :)

CPUd
04-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Can this be used in any way to 'donate' to mid-level politicians in Iowa?

Virgil
04-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Correct. Their funds must be kept separate, and they are forbidden to coordinate strategy. Benton will be barred by law from having any say at all in the Rand 2016 campaign. Just as I thought he would :)

That should make everyone happy but I'm sure someone will still bitch.

-Virgil

Bergie Bergeron
04-06-2015, 09:12 PM
That should make everyone happy but I'm sure someone will still bitch.

-Virgil
Someone always finds a reason to bitch even when it's good news :)

Anti Federalist
04-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Well, that's good news.

Now I know what not to contribute to.

I think I'll throw $100 into the campaign announcement MoneyBomb now.

Anti Federalist
04-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Well, that's good news.

orenbus
04-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Well, that's good news.

Oh man, no you didn't!

Now you got me thinking...

Anti Federalist
04-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Oh man, no you didn't!

Now you got me thinking...

Mrs. AF will flip out, she's not at all convinced and wants nothing at all to do with "politics"...can't say I blame her...but, what the hell, if they ran Benton off of at least the "official" part of the campaign, maybe I can look the other way.

Brian4Liberty
04-06-2015, 09:46 PM

Sounds about right.

dannno
04-06-2015, 09:49 PM
This was probably Rand's idea, what a frickin genius.

thoughtomator
04-06-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm still wary. Call me cynical but I'll have to be 100% sure not a dime gets to Benton before I contribute.

Brian4Liberty
04-06-2015, 10:47 PM
I'm still wary. Call me cynical but I'll have to be 100% sure not a dime gets to Benton before I contribute.

No worries there. America's Liberty PAC is not on the list for these donations.

Contributions to Rand Paul Victory Committee (“RPVC”) are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. RPVC allocates contributions to Rand Paul for President (“RPFP”), Rand Paul for US Senate 2016 (“RPFS”), and RAND PAC in conformity with federal limits. Unless a contribution would exceed federal limits, RPVC will divide contributions as follows:

For Individuals and Federal Non-multicandidate PACs—First $2,700 to RPFP’s primary-election account; next $2,700 to RPFS’s primary-election account; next $2,700 to RPFS’s general-election account; next $5,000 to RAND PAC; and final amount, up to $2,700, to RPFP’s general-election account.
Notwithstanding this default allocation, you may designate your contribution for one or more particular RPVC participants.

BuddyRey
04-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Sent off to run errands for the family while the real plans are made between father and son. I love it...Benton, through his betrayal, has become almost a perfect real-world analogue of Fredo Corleone.

idiom
04-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Maybe these Theocrats are right and there is a god in heaven after all?? They may have the wrong one, but still.

Someone is looking out for us.

KingNothing
04-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Brilliant move. Benton obviously has gigantic flaws, but he's got some skills too. I'd say he's proven that he's too much of a liability to be part of a formal campaign, but that it makes sense to have him involved in the process. What better way to distance yourself from him than the force of law? What better way to utilize the skills that he does have than by having him effectively be a political badger?

Rand's a very smart guy. No doubt about that.

KingNothing
04-07-2015, 07:38 AM
Sent off to run errands for the family while the real plans are made between father and son. I love it...Benton, through his betrayal, has become almost a perfect real-world analogue of Fredo Corleone.

I'm not sure that I agree entirely with your assessment, but I swear that the first thing I thought of when I read this news was the Godfather.

EDIT: I do believe that Benton would hang out at houses of ill repute with Johnny Ola.

Jeremy
04-07-2015, 07:54 AM
"20 - 30 million" makes the neocon ad buy seem like nothing in comparison. But I wonder how they plan on raising that kind of cash?

ctiger2
04-07-2015, 07:54 AM
If Benton is running the PAC then he's part of the campaign.

Jeremy
04-07-2015, 07:55 AM
If Benton is running the PAC then he's part of the campaign.

PACs don't work with campaigns at all.

alucard13mm
04-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Time to bust out 20.16usd

philipped
04-14-2015, 07:29 AM
This is great news to me. Rand's got Jesse away from Rand 2016 by law, and is still able to reel in support by Super PAC standards. This same PAC gave $32,000 to Brannon's primary campaign. If Benton raises at least $30,000,000 by next FEC filing that's $32,000 to a few candidates OR keep fundraising and set it up to be designed to purchase expensive traditional advertising in hard to purchase states, those where other candidates are presumed to have already a lock on said states delegates ;)

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 08:29 AM
Benton's role with the super PAC will be general consultant, according to a person familiar with the arrangement. He will be charged with both crafting strategy and helping to reach the goal of banking between $20 million and $30 million to support Paul.

The plan is for Benton to use an existing entity, America's Liberty PAC, which was founded by former Ron Paul strategist John Tate several years ago to be Rand Paul's 2016 super PAC.

Can't wait to see more of the winning strategy from Benton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7qy-4CBBZo

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?475640-Pro-Paul-group-unleashes-fiery-attack-ad&p=5882233#post5882233

jj-
05-29-2015, 08:31 AM
This is great news to me. Rand's got Jesse away from Rand 2016

apparently Rand didn't throw him far enough. See the above post.

Peace&Freedom
05-29-2015, 08:43 AM
This is great news to me. Rand's got Jesse away from Rand 2016 by law, and is still able to reel in support by Super PAC standards. This same PAC gave $32,000 to Brannon's primary campaign. If Benton raises at least $30,000,000 by next FEC filing that's $32,000 to a few candidates OR keep fundraising and set it up to be designed to purchase expensive traditional advertising in hard to purchase states, those where other candidates are presumed to have already a lock on said states delegates ;)

This settles the Benton problem about as well as it could have been resolved, given the family ties Benton has with Paul, and the widespread opposition (83+% of this forum) to his direct involvement. The PAC keeps him out of the campaign, while still involved in the effort. Either Rand is listening to the grassroots, or he himself knows the flap that would ensue if Benton's past financial controversies got brought up later on. This is an example of Rand's pragmatism working for the grassroots.

timosman
05-29-2015, 03:55 PM
This just underscores one of the biggest problems of this campaign - nepotism. How many family "friends" are involved with the campaign ? Shouldn't they start using professionals ? Is Rand playing to win ? Or just playing us for fools ?

phill4paul
05-29-2015, 04:16 PM
This just underscores one of the biggest problems of this campaign - nepotism. How many family "friends" are involved with the campaign ? Shouldn't they start using professionals ? Is Rand playing to win ? Or just playing us for fools ?

Welcome new member. :rolleyes:

timosman
05-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Welcome new member. :rolleyes:

Thank you officer. :D