PDA

View Full Version : John Oliver: Government Surveillance (Ed Snowden Interview!)

Suzanimal
04-06-2015, 07:51 AM
NSFW

Snowden interview starts at about the 14:00 mark.

Shameless plug for CitizenFour incase you haven't seen it yet...
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?461909-CITIZENFOUR-New-Snowden-Documentary&p=5681595#post5681595

Last week, John Oliver traveled to Russia to interview National Security Administration leaker Edward Snowden — which, while maybe not a surprise to the NSA, was a well-kept secret at HBO and to Oliver's Last Week Tonight audience on Sunday's show. Americans don't care about foreign surveillance, and barely care about domestic surveillance, Oliver told Snowden, with person-on-the-street-interview evidence. But that all changed when Oliver's team asked about the government siphoning up "dick picks."

"This is the most visible line in the sand for these people: Can they see my dick?" Oliver explained. Then he cleverly had Snowden evaluate a series of U.S. surveillance programs based on whether they could access a photo of Oliver's own phallus that he hypothetically sent to (presumably) a loved one. In a lot of cases, Snowden said, the answer was yes. "If the American people understood this, they would be absolutely horrified," Oliver said. "I guess I never thought about putting it in the context of your junk," Snowden admitted. So nice work, John Oliver. Warning: There is some NSFW language. —Peter Weber

http://theweek.com/speedreads/548046/john-oliver-gets-edward-snowden-explain-nsa-domestic-spying-using-phallic-selfies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=13&v=XEVlyP4_11M

ZENemy
04-06-2015, 08:02 AM
More evidence for the american people to use to organize and refuse to pay.

nayjevin
04-06-2015, 09:05 AM

On his HBO program last night, John Oliver devoted 30 minutes to a discussion of U.S. surveillance programs, advocating a much more substantive debate as the June 1 deadline for renewing the Patriot Act approaches (the full segment can be seen here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M)). As part of that segment, Oliver broadcast an interview he conducted with Edward Snowden in Moscow, and to illustrate the point that an insufficient surveillance debate has been conducted, showed video of numerous people in Times Square saying they had no idea who Snowden is (or giving inaccurate answers about him). Oliver assured Snowden off-camera that they did not cherry-pick those “on the street” interviews but showed a representative sample.

Oliver’s overall discussion is good (and, naturally, quite funny), but the specific point he wants to make here is misguided. Contrary to what Oliver says, it’s actually not surprising at all that a large number of Americans are unaware of who Snowden is, nor does it say much at all about the surveillance debate. That’s because a large number of Americans, by choice, are remarkably unaware of virtually all political matters. The befuddled reactions of the Times Square interviewees when asked about Snowden illustrate little about the specific surveillance issue but a great deal about the full-scale political disengagement of a substantial chunk of the American population.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/04/06/john-oliver-interview-political-disengagement-american-public/

morfeeis
04-06-2015, 09:37 AM
I find this so interesting and so powerful because it puts the debate in a format that the idiots that are walking around in this country can understand. It also brings out the fear of some government twit looking at a photo of you or someone you know nude pics, and seeing that i just sent a dic pic this weekend the NSA has a big, huge, garganchuan responsibility on their hands. It brings out the spotlight effect that could make anyone who has ever sent a nude photo or sexxy photo to someone the thought that everyone at the NSA has been looking at their private moments and this is a powerful tool in turning the will of the people.

But knowing this country it will be forgotten in a week and no one will care again.....

Suzanimal
04-06-2015, 09:50 AM
I find this so interesting and so powerful because it puts the debate in a format that the idiots that are walking around in this country can understand.

That's what I like about it.

It also brings out the fear of some government twit looking at a photo of you or someone you know nude pics, and seeing that i just sent a dic pic this weekend the NSA has a big, huge, garganchuan responsibility on their hands.

:)
http://i.imgur.com/Xkxga9e.gif

It brings out the spotlight effect that could make anyone who has ever sent a nude photo or sexxy photo to someone the thought that everyone at the NSA has been looking at their private moments and this is a powerful tool in turning the will of the people.

+ rep

But knowing this country it will be forgotten in a week and no one will care again.....

We keep talking about it until they do care and start with people you know IRL. I know it's annoying but imagine how Ron Paul feels repeating himself over and over.

morfeeis
04-06-2015, 09:55 AM
We keep talking about it until they do care and start with people you know IRL. I know it's annoying but imagine how Ron Paul feels repeating himself over and over.

I visit three other forums and this link was posted there as well as on facebook, all with the tagline of dick pics or something of that nature to spark interest. like Ron i'll keeping finding different ways to say the same few things.....

Thor
04-06-2015, 10:21 AM
(Mod edit) are morons... but Oliver did a good job making light of it...

jllundqu
04-06-2015, 10:27 AM
"Why did you just send me a picture of your dick?"

"Because I love america... that's why." :cool:

muh_roads
04-06-2015, 10:32 AM
The best thing about all of this is that encryption use rates are increasing. And new forms of encryption are being thought about that should not include the NIST.

Everyone should use encryption. It is your 4th amendment right. If you don't exercise your rights you may some day lose them. We need a new internet where privacy and encryption is the default.

AuH20
04-06-2015, 10:36 AM
How could Oliver push for net neutrality one week and then interview Snowden the next? I would have loved to hear Snowden's opinion on net neutrality considering how disillusioned he has become.

Suzanimal
04-06-2015, 10:43 AM
The best thing about all of this is that encryption use rates are increasing. And new forms of encryption are being thought about that should not include the NIST.

Everyone should use encryption. It is your 4th amendment right. If you don't exercise your rights you may some day lose them. We need a new internet where privacy and encryption is the default.

That day is quickly approaching.

From a couple of weeks ago - I think this was posted already but I couldn't find it.

The FBI used to recommend encryption. Now they want to ban it

Comey was back before Congress this week - this time in front of the House Appropriations Committee - imploring Congressmen to pass a law that would force tech companies to create a backdoor in any phone or communications tool that uses encryption.

He also revealed the Obama administration may be crafting such a law right now. “One of the things that the administration is working on right now is what would a legislative response look like that would allow us … with court process:rolleyes: to get access to that evidence”, he said.

If you want to understand why encryption is important for protecting your data, look no further than the FBI’s own website. Well, at least you could until last week. For years, the FBI recommended people enable encryption on their phone to protect themselves against criminals, but at some point prior to Comey’s testimony, the FBI scrubbed that information from public view. (On 27 March the FBI told the National Journal that the security tips were not intentionally deleted, but “were because of the agency’s ongoing website redesign.”)

In other words, as security expert Jonathan Zdziarski remarked, the FBI “has weakened their recommended standards [and] best practices to intentionally leave you vulnerable to security breaches.” Computer science professor Matt Blaze put it another way: “Basically, the FBI is saying that they think you’re more likely to commit a crime than need to protect yourself against crime.”

The only thing worse than Comey’s position was the know-nothing members of the Appropriations Committee, who at various times were fawning all over Comey’s proposal and displaying zero knowledge about basic technological precepts. The video of the back-and-forth is cringe worthy.

When I say “know-nothing,” I’m not being facetious or hyperbolic. Take Representative John Carter for example, who the other members of the Appropriations Committee affectionately call “Judge” and kept deferring to in the hearing for his supposed wisdom. He also happens to be chairman of the subcommittee on Homeland Security in charge of funding cybersecurity. Carter prefaced his comments about cybersecurity and encryption by literally saying “I don’t know anything about this stuff.”

Yes, you read that right. The man in charge of billions of dollars of cybersecurity funding openly admits he has no idea what he’s doing. You can imagine how much “wisdom” his three minute soliloquy on the dangers of encryption contained.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/28/the-fbi-used-to-recommend-encryption-now-they-want-to-ban-it

TheCount
04-06-2015, 07:04 PM
How could Oliver push for net neutrality one week and then interview Snowden the next? I would have loved to hear Snowden's opinion on net neutrality considering how disillusioned he has become.

Shockingly, it seems like people are capable of having complex political views, rather than fitting into easily classified stereotypes.

muh_roads
04-06-2015, 09:29 PM
That day is quickly approaching.

From a couple of weeks ago - I think this was posted already but I couldn't find it.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/28/the-fbi-used-to-recommend-encryption-now-they-want-to-ban-it

I love reading stuff like that.

If people want to truly fight the government, if you are sick of them robbing everyone blind, forcing you to pay to be complicit in the crimes of killing & locking up innocent people...then encryption and bitcoin use will be far more effective than anything at this current point in time IMO. If you are tired of the funding machine that makes it all happen, then cryptocurrency should also be added to the portfolio along with metals.

Using the US Dollar funds US sponsored terrorism. Every transaction you make is like pennies of support to continue the global fractional reserve scam.

Working Poor
04-07-2015, 05:26 AM
Maybe everyone should send a pic of their a-hole to everyone they know...

Danke
04-07-2015, 06:25 AM

Well... I do love America.

morfeeis
04-07-2015, 12:05 PM

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4021&stc=1
how about a photo of these assholes instead?

kpitcher
04-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Please no goatse links!

Mach
04-08-2015, 12:25 AM
NSFW

Snowden interview starts at about the 14:00 mark.

Shameless plug for CitizenFour incase you haven't seen it yet...
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?461909-CITIZENFOUR-New-Snowden-Documentary&p=5681595#post5681595

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=13&v=XEVlyP4_11M

Video uploaded April 5th, currently over 3,700,000 views.