PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds of Thousands of New Guest Workers Under Obama Proposal

Brian4Liberty
04-02-2015, 04:03 PM
American Tech Workers Would Compete With Hundreds of Thousands of New Guest Workers Under Obama’s L-1B Visa Proposal

President Obama has proposed unilateral changes in the L-1B visa program that would bring in hundreds of thousands of new foreign guest workers that would compete with or displace American tech workers. Obama claims his proposal will “benefit our entire economy and spur additional investment,” but it could add to the unemployment lines while doing little to increase foreign investment.

Under the existing L-1B program, a foreign company with offices in the United States, or a U.S. company with offices abroad, can move workers in other countries to the U.S. for up to five years. Under this “intra-company transfer” a company can pay L-1B workers much less than American or even H-1B workers because no wage constraints exist. The company is not required to protect American workers, and there is no cap on the number of L-1B workers that can be transferred. The worker must just demonstrate a “specialized knowledge” of the company’s operations.

The president’s proposal would relax the definition of “specialized knowledge.” It would no longer have to be unique to the company and could in fact be generally available within an industry. The proposal also tells U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) adjudicators how to evaluate L-1B applications. For example, adjudicators will not be able to ask if American workers are available to do the job. The proposal says "A petitioner is not required to demonstrate the lack of readily available workers to perform the relevant duties in the United States."
Howard University professor Ron Hira, an expert in L-1B and H-1B visa programs, says the president’s proposal will make an already-abused program worse. "The L-1B is much worse than the H-1B program in terms of its impacts on American workers and the American economy," Hira told the Washington Examiner. "There are no wage standards — foreign workers can be paid home country wages, which is $6,000 a year for an IT worker in India. American workers can be displaced by L-1B workers. There are no recruitment requirements and no educational requirements….[Plus the program is] "subject to virtually no federal scrutiny or oversight. We have no idea how many L-1 visa holders are here at any time. The only reason the L-1B hasn't received any scrutiny from the press is because the government collects virtually no data on who is awarded an L-1B and who they work for."

The proposal could induce companies to switch from the H-1B visa to the L-1B. Immigration attorney Susan Pai, an immigration attorney, told the Examiner “Instead of bringing people in on Hs, they’re going to start bringing them in droves on the L-1s, so that’s bad news for Americans.” She thinks it will lead to much more visa fraud as well.
President Obama’s proposal is not a regulatory action. It is outlined in a memorandum for which USCIS is accepting comments through May 8th. The memorandum will become effective on August 31, 2015.
http://www.numbersusa.com/news/american-tech-workers-would-compete-hundreds-thousands-new-guest-workers-under-obama%E2%80%99-l-1b-visa

04-02-2015, 04:35 PM
As long as they pay US taxes on their income and get no entitlement from the US government, I don't care. Whatever wage an employer and employee agree upon is their business.

muh_roads
04-02-2015, 05:31 PM
As long as they pay US taxes on their income and get no entitlement from the US government, I don't care. Whatever wage an employer and employee agree upon is their business.

Why? So the Gov't can grow bigger, more corrupt, and bomb more innocent people?

Brian4Liberty
04-02-2015, 07:57 PM

The only thing better than having indentured servants that are cheaper than slaves is to tax them too.

Zippyjuan
04-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Info on L1-B visas. They are for transfers of important personnel within a company- either a foreign company in the US or a US company with offices abroad. A person must have been with the company at least a year.

There are two types of employee who may be sponsored for L1 visas:

Managers/Executives
The legal definition of management and executive roles for these purposes is quite strict, and a detailed description of the duties attached to the position will be required. In particular, the executive or manager should have supervisory responsibility for professional staff and/or for a key function, department or subdivision of the employer. Such personnel are issued an L1A visa, initially for a three year period extendible in 2 year increments to a maximum of 7 years.

Specialized Knowledge Staff
This category covers those with knowledge of the company's products/services, research, systems, proprietary techniques, management, or procedures. Staff in this category are issued an L1B visa, initially for three years extendible to a maximum of five years.

In order to sponsor an application for an L1 visa:

A foreign parent must own at least 50% of a US subsidiary, and have veto powers over the subsidiary's actions;

A US parent must own must own at least 50% of the foreign subsidiary, and have veto powers over the subsidiary's actions;

Affiliate US and foreign companies must each be at least 50% owned by the same ultimate parent;

A US organization with a branch office abroad qualifies, as does a foreign organization with a US branch (though this must be more than simply an agent or representative);

A US organization which employs e.g. sales personnel overseas can sponsor such employees for L1's even if there is no non-US office.

The employee must have been employed during the qualifying year as an executive, manager, or specialized knowledge worker, though it permissible for a specialized knowledge worker to come to the United States as a Manager or Executive, and for a manager or executive to come as a specialized knowledge worker, provided the US operation has been doing business for at least one year.

As noted previously, the 'standard of proof' for managers and executives is quite strict – they must generally supervise other professional or managerial staff and/or direct and control the day-to-day operations of a significant function, unit or subdivision of the employer. Specialized knowledge workers, however, qualify relatively easily – any employee with familiarity with the employer's specific products, procedures or methods may qualify.

Q. Is there a requirement that I pay L1 workers the 'prevailing wage'?

A. No, but paying L1 workers significantly below the prevailing wage and/or the wages of your US resident staff is likely to result in USCIS viewing your petition unfavourably, and may also result in investigations by USCIS or Department of Labor.

Q. Is there any limit on the number of L1 visas available in a year?

A. No.

More at link: http://www.workpermit.com/us/investor_l-1.htm

thoughtomator
04-03-2015, 09:52 AM

At a $6000/year salary they'll be getting $20k+ each per year in welfare and tax "credit" subsidies.

Brian4Liberty
04-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Info on L1-B visas. They are for transfers of important personnel within a company- either a foreign company in the US or a US company with offices abroad. A person must have been with the company at least a year.

That you for the official government definition.

In the real world, it's simply a way to transfer existing tech workers from another country to the US, and keep paying them at the same rate as they were paid in their home country. "specialized knowledge worker". LOL. That's a loophole big enough to drive a train through.

04-03-2015, 10:42 AM

No, so they contribute to all that the same as the rest of are forced to.

Lower taxes to no taxes would be best but if I pay they should too.

At a $6000/year salary they'll be getting $20k+ each per year in welfare and tax "credit" subsidies.

No, as non-citizens they are entitled to nothing from the US government. No welfare, no tax credits. If they want to work here, they should be welcome to.

donnay
04-03-2015, 10:54 AM
No, so they contribute to all that the same as the rest of are forced to.

Lower taxes to no taxes would be best but if I pay they should too.

No, as non-citizens they are entitled to nothing from the US government. No welfare, no tax credits. If they want to work here, they should be welcome to.

So why do you think they should be entitled to jobs?

Voluntarist
04-03-2015, 12:04 PM
xxxxx

Zippyjuan
04-03-2015, 01:08 PM

They already have jobs. They are just being transferred from working in one country to working in another country for the exact same company in the same position(they must have worked for that company for at least a year prior to the transfer).

KCIndy
04-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Sounds like a great deal to me.... a great deal for large companies.

Hire overseas workers, bring them here to the U.S. and put them to work with all legal bases covered.

Next, pay them slave wages. Make sure they're getting paid below poverty level. Then point them toward every government welfare program in order to make up the difference.

Can anyone show me - definitively - that these fully legal and totally underpaid "guest workers" will NOT be eligible for:

*Earned Income Tax Credits (Yeah, pay those taxes, baby!)
*Food stamps
*Medicaid and/or other free medical care, including state care for kiddies
*WIC programs
*Heating assistance in winter
*Low income housing assistance
*Child care credits

And those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty more government handouts around if one does a bit of searching.

All aboard, everyone! There is always room for a few hundred thousand more riders on the Gravy Train.

Stratovarious
04-04-2015, 06:24 PM
This L-1B visa program wouldn't happen to be tailored for Obama's Muslim Brotherhood would it ?

, ,

04-04-2015, 08:26 PM

Nobody is entitled to a job. If somebody wants to work here in the US and they agree to a wage with an employer, they should be employed with no government interference.

HankRicther12
04-30-2015, 12:18 AM
Nobody is entitled to a job. If somebody wants to work here in the US and they agree to a wage with an employer, they should be employed with no government interference.

Uh, wrong. We have a border, they have theirs, this is our country, that is theirs, they should work/live in their country, we should do the same. It cracks me up some here think letting businesses hire workers outside of America where currencies are manipulated (and yes, I know, America does too) and regulations are less is somehow part of a free market. You are artificially lowering prices and wages, that is hardly a tenant of free markets.

I know, I know, America is over regulated, I'm not saying that shouldn't be changed, but even still, there are some basic worker rights that I think we should all agree on, many other nations do not agree, even getting rid of the excessive taxes, liability, regs, you will never get below the other nations, they will always undercut American wages/prices.

RickyJ
04-30-2015, 12:33 AM

Wrong. We are a sovereign nation, we have the right to decide who gets to come into our nation as tourists and workers. We have the right to limit the number of foreign workers in the USA if it is having a negative impact on US citizen employment. We have these rights as a sovereign nation.