PDA

View Full Version : Governor Le Page Inadvertently Smokes Out SNAP Scabs with Work/Training Initiative

AuH20
04-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Well, I guess it's no longer theory anymore... And remember that this is just little ole Maine.

http://conservativetribune.com/maine-governor-welfare-work/

Like many other states, until this year Maine was suffering from outrageous abuse of the state’s welfare programs, specifically the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

Roughly 12,000 of Maine’s unmarried, non-disabled citizens were on the SNAP rolls, sucking away funds that could otherwise be used to help those who were actually in need.

That’s why Republican Gov. Paul LePage decided to put an end to that, by declining federal waivers that allow states to bypass the “work for welfare” laws put into effect that require single, non-disabled citizens to either work part-time twenty hours per week, volunteer twenty-four hours per month or be enrolled in a verified work-training program in order to receive benefits.

The results of his decision were astounding and further prove that a majority of SNAP recipients were simply milking the system for every penny they could squeeze out.

That’s because out of 12,000 single, non-disabled SNAP enrollees, over 9,000 of them were dropped from the program due to non-compliance with the new rules — in a mere four months.

Slave Mentality
04-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Should be full time work, but I support this anyway.

Slave Mentality
04-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Should be full time work, but I support this anyway.

Edit : I don't support any welfare programs at all, but will take the small victories.

specsaregood
04-01-2015, 02:38 PM
by declining federal waivers that allow states to bypass the “work for welfare” laws put into effect that require single, non-disabled citizens to either work part-time twenty hours per week, volunteer twenty-four hours per month or be enrolled in a verified work-training program in order to receive benefits.

I don't get it. Why are there federal waivers to a federal requirement? And what do states have to do to get the waivers? Is it saying that the "work for welfare" requirements are just a smokescreen?

Origanalist
04-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Only 2,680 decided to comply with the new requirements and Maine progressives are absolutely outraged that state Republicans can be so soulless as to make these able-bodied people turn off the Jerry Springer marathon and contribute to society.

I'll settle for just quit sucking on teh gubmint teat.

Origanalist
04-01-2015, 02:39 PM
I don't get it. Why are there federal waivers to a federal requirement? And what do states have to do to get the waivers? Is it saying that the "work for welfare" requirements are just a smokescreen?

It sure sounds that way.

Origanalist
04-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Lot's of that going on in government....

Anti Federalist
04-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Maine has a very low per capita income but a hefty tax bite thanks to progs "from away" trying to turn the place into a whole state of Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard.

Maine will end up with an elite class of wealthy vacationers and a piss poor servant class and nothing else if they don't watch out.

http://best-state-taxes.247wallst.com/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/03/02/state-local-tax-burden/1937757/

DamianTV
04-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Mandatory ANYTHING is never a good thing. Although ending Welfare is, the requirement for Part Time Work may just as well be MANDATORY UNICORN OWNERSHIP. I dont know how bad Unemployment is in Maine, but I seriously doubt that these jobs exist for all those on welfare. Sure, there are a lot that could very well just be lazy, but I do not believe for one second that 2/3rds of people are that lazy.

Acala
04-01-2015, 04:10 PM

Remember, the purpose of the progarm is to transfer government money into the pockets of the banks that administer the program and the agribuisinesses that produce the subsidized goods. Helping the poor is just the cover story. And the Federal law requiring some effort from the recipients was just feel good legislation to get the rubes to shut up about the program. The government doesn't want to reduce the cost of the program OR break the cycle of dependence that justifies the continued transfer of funds to the crony capitalists.

Origanalist
04-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Mandatory ANYTHING is never a good thing. Although ending Welfare is, the requirement for Part Time Work may just as well be MANDATORY UNICORN OWNERSHIP. I dont know how bad Unemployment is in Maine, but I seriously doubt that these jobs exist for all those on welfare. Sure, there are a lot that could very well just be lazy, but I do not believe for one second that 2/3rds of people are that lazy.

Then what happened to them? Sorry Damian but I think you might be wrong here. And it isn't 2/3rds of people, it's 2/3rds of " single, non-disabled SNAP enrollees".

presence
04-01-2015, 04:28 PM
The best way to solve this is to treat the SNAP enrollees just like the working class:

They should have to have a permit, license, an accredited education, and be bonded to enroll.

And their union dues need to be up to date and obamacare payments made.

That will solve everything.

nobody's_hero
04-01-2015, 06:12 PM
Paul LePage was the governor who refused to attend the 2012 GOP convention when Maine's delegates (many of our folks) were barred from participating. He seems like a fair guy, if not 'our guy.'

Zippyjuan
04-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Just for perspective- Maine lists 236,000 persons enrolled in their SNAP program (as of March 6, 2015) http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/pd/29SNAPcurrPP.pdf

9,000 leaving would be less than four percent of all enrollees.

Origanalist
04-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Just for perspective- Maine lists 236,000 persons enrolled in their SNAP program (as of March 6, 2015) http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/pd/29SNAPcurrPP.pdf

9,000 leaving would be less than four percent of all enrollees.

That’s because out of 12,000 single, non-disabled SNAP enrollees, over 9,000 of them were dropped from the program due to non-compliance with the new rules — in a mere four months....

Zippyjuan
04-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Yes.

RonPaulMall
04-01-2015, 06:30 PM
To be honest, the biggest problem is not single, able bodied people, but rather, the fact that welfare payments increase the more children you have. Having children should lower the benefit, not increase it. The current system encourages the people we least want to have children to have as many as they can.

Don't have a problem with what LePage is doing here, but he's not attacking the core of the problem, which is "families" (usually single mothers actually), not able bodied single people.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Yes.

You're generally for welfare, right? Your posts seem to indicate that.

thoughtomator
04-01-2015, 06:55 PM
I think everyone should sign up for all the government handouts they can possibly get, Cloward-Piven style.

This government is beyond reform. Only through its fiscal collapse will we ever see anything close to an honest system. In the meantime, there is absolutely nothing immoral about playing the game to maximize your own personal benefit.

Or to put it another way, the fastest way to get all of today's teat-suckers off the teat is for everyone else to join in and drain that titty dry in the shortest possible time frame.

Origanalist
04-01-2015, 06:59 PM
I think everyone should sign up for all the government handouts they can possibly get, Cloward-Piven style.

This government is beyond reform. Only through its fiscal collapse will we ever see anything close to an honest system. In the meantime, there is absolutely nothing immoral about playing the game to maximize your own personal benefit.

Or to put it another way, the fastest way to get all of today's teat-suckers off the teat is for everyone else to join in and drain that titty dry in the shortest possible time frame.

No thanks, I'll pass.

satchelmcqueen
04-01-2015, 08:42 PM
a friend of mine was on food stamps for about 4 yrs up until this program hit my state. all kinds of excuses for not working, or finding a job of any kind. kinda funny when faced with the requirements, that she up and found a job in about 2 months of being kicked off the program.

Zippyjuan
04-01-2015, 08:46 PM
There are people who legitimately could use help but there are much larger numbers who take advantage of the system. I don't mind helping those who really need it. This was a start.

AuH20
04-01-2015, 09:11 PM
There are people who legitimately could use help but there are much larger numbers who take advantage of the system. I don't mind helping those who really need it. This was a start.

No one seriously wants to purge those who are actually incapable of providing for themselves due to disability or mental defect, but it's obvious that these programs attract a high percentage of frauds. And when anyone dare points this out, the advocates for the said programs attack the messenger as opposed to increasing the efficiency of these programs.

RonPaulMall
04-01-2015, 09:39 PM
No one seriously wants to purge those who are actually incapable of providing for themselves due to disability or mental defect, but it's obvious that these programs attract a high percentage of frauds. And when anyone dare points this out, the advocates for the said programs attack the messenger as opposed to increasing the efficiency of these programs.

Actually there are plenty of us who would purge those who are incapable of providing for themselves. We are called libertarians. Charity is the business of the private sector, not government.

Now, if I were forced to prioritize, I'd kick off the mothers who had children they can't afford first, followed by the able bodied slackers, and I'd save the disabled and elderly for last. But as a matter of principle the whole thing should be dismantled.

H. E. Panqui
04-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Paul LePage appears to be yet another in a loooooooooooooooooooong line of gd Republicrat puppet fools with their gaping holes open about illion dollar economic concerns absent an honest understanding of the origin and nature of even one stinking 'dollar'...(either that, or he's 'in on' the money fraud)

...but i must admit he has been fun/thrilling for me...as he has engendered much hatred amongst stinking republicans and stinking democrats...i love watching them flail hatefully at one another...wounding themselves and smearing themselves in sh!t...hopefully hastening their deserved demise...:)

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-01-2015, 11:36 PM
There are people who legitimately could use help but there are much larger numbers who take advantage of the system. I don't mind helping those who really need it.

Of course you Democrats don't mind helping others, as long as you can demand someone else pay for it. Your boy Obama is costing me money with his health plan.

Do you personally contribute to others?

thoughtomator
04-02-2015, 12:08 AM
No thanks, I'll pass.

You shouldn't. It is immoral to attempt to deal morally with an amoral entity, such as a government.