PDA

View Full Version : Am I Alone on This?

boberino
12-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Robert Byrd is the greatest orator in the Senate at the present time.
Questions, Comments, Concerns?

RustyBrewster
12-04-2007, 04:19 PM
I can't recall how he speaks, so I'll post something different related to him.

I was watching Cspan a few weeks ago when his fellow democratic senators were wishing him a happy birthday. I tought for a moment.. Robert Byrd and the KKK, he wasn't simply just any ordinary member too, he pretty high up, a kleagle and 'exalted cyclops'. They were saying how he's been such a great figure in American history whom they had so much respect for.... Then I thought back a few years, remember what happened to Trent Lott when he said nice things to Strom Thurmond on his birthday?

If you decide that good people make mistakes and it's okay to forgive them, I don't find their past acceptable, but whatever. In both cases though, they were simply saying nice things to an older person on their birthday.

But does anyone else see a double standard here?

Back to Robert Byrd, I wonder how someone who has showed such an incredible lack of judgment has been so successful do this day........ Populist?

Spirit of '76
12-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Back to Robert Byrd, I wonder how someone who has showed such an incredible lack of judgment has been so successful do this day........ Populist?

Incredible lack of judgment? Explain.

RustyBrewster
12-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Incredible lack of judgment? Explain.

He joined the KKK. Was an overt racist. And attempted to conceal the extent of his involvement. I don't care what sort of opportunity he thought it would be. He was an adult when he made these decisions and I don't think he should be in the leadership position he is in today.

boberino
12-04-2007, 05:31 PM
He joined the KKK. Was an overt racist. And attempted to conceal the extent of his involvement. I don't care what sort of opportunity he thought it would be. He was an adult when he made these decisions and I don't think he should be in the leadership position he is in today.

So vote him out.

Also, stop hijacking my apparently futile attempt at humor!

On a side note, I thought he was having a heart attack at one point during his talk today.

Spirit of '76
12-04-2007, 05:35 PM

None of that was unusual for WV in the 1930s (though it should be noted that by that point the KKK was more prevalent in the upper Midwest than in the South or in Appalachia).

And you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but unless you're a voter in WV, I reckon it doesn't affect much.

Spirit of '76
12-04-2007, 05:37 PM

On a side note, I thought he was having a heart attack at one point during his talk today.

He was at one point arguably the best orator in the Senate. He is really showing his age, though.

He is still a fabulous speechwriter, but it doesn't much come through these days because of his physical decline.

RustyBrewster
12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
So vote him out.

:D

Violet1776
12-04-2007, 07:04 PM
I liked initially what he had to say about the Constitution but then I read Devvy Kidd's article on him on Newswithviews.com. She tears him apart and reveals him for what he is.

Here's the link to her article "A Closer Look at Robert Byrd's Speech"
go to

http://www.newswithviews.com/Devvy/kidd9.htm

She tells it like it is. She is on a mission to bring back our Republic like Paul. Perhaps one day she'll run for office again. Read her bio. I think she was in the FBI and got fed up with the corruption and left.

She's sometimes too angry for my likes. I get where she's coming from. I'm fired up too, but you have to keep the fire burning on the positive side or it can be self-destructive.

boberino
12-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Don't care about his character!

He's still a pretty good speaker even with his physical limitations.

rockwell
12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
He's a sell out on so many levels, there's hardly an American outside of Benedict Arnold I feel more sorry for. All that potential squandered, for what?