PDA

View Full Version : Rand Introduces Bipartisan Legislation To Help Expand Use of Police Body Cameras

Matt Collins
03-26-2015, 09:36 AM
From a press release:

Sens. Paul, Schatz & Reps. Brown, Ellison Introduce Bipartisan Legislation To Help Expand Use of Police Body Cameras

Police CAMERA Act Would Create A Grant Program To Help Local Law Enforcement Agencies Develop Body-Worn Camera Programs

Washington, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senators Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Brian Schatz (D-Hawai‘i), U.S. Representatives Corrine Brown (FL-05) and Keith Ellison (MN-05) introduced the Police Creating Accountability by Making Effective Recording Available (Police CAMERA) Act of 2015 (http://www.paul.senate.gov/files/documents/Police.pdf). This bipartisan legislation would create a pilot grant program to assist state and local law enforcement agencies with purchasing or leasing body-worn cameras.

“Body cameras will benefit the brave men and women who serve in our police force and the people they protect,” said Sen. Paul. “The use of body cameras helps officers collect and preserve evidence to solve crimes, while also decreasing the number of complaints against police. The Police CAMERA Act will help state and local police departments access this new tool, while ensuring that the privacy rights of every civilian is respected.”

“The relationship between our communities and the men and women who protect them is based on trust and accountability,” said Sen. Schatz. “In communities like Ferguson, we have seen that public trust eroded by reports of racism and use of excessive force by police. Body-worn police cameras are already being used by some police departments and have shown to be effective in keeping our communities safe. Our legislation would help expand the responsible use of body-worn police cameras and help make sure our police officers and law enforcement agencies are more accountable to the communities they serve.”

“At a time when the trust between law enforcement and those they were sworn to protect has reached a critical point, the CAMERA Act gives us an opportunity to explore and learn best practices for the use of body worn cameras,” said Rep. Brown. “Representing Florida, a place that has had its share of issues with transparency and police accountability, the CAMERA Act is a positive bi-partisan measure which strengthens trust between law enforcement and the communities they are sworn to protect and serve.”

“After the tragic deaths of Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Robert Saylor and Tamir Rice, a stronger bond must be forged between our communities and police forces,” said Rep. Ellison. “The pilot program created by the Police CAMERA Act empowers law enforcement officials who want to do better for the people they protect and serve. Body cameras alone won’t stop the next tragedy, but we should take every common-sense step we can to increase accountability and protect both civilians and police officers.”

Police departments that have piloted the use of body-worn cameras have seen a drop in incidents of use of excessive force and complaints against police. The Police CAMERA Act of 2015 would:

· Establish a pilot grant program using existing funding to assist state, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies with the purchasing or leasing of body-worn cameras.

· Authorize an impact-study after two years. The study would assess the impact body-worn cameras have on reducing the use of excessive force by police, its effects on officer safety and public safety, and procedures to protect the privacy of individuals who are recorded.

Supporters of the Police CAMERA Act of 2015 include: the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, and local police departments across the country.

Click HERE (http://www.paul.senate.gov/files/documents/Police.pdf) to read the Police CAMERA Act of 2015 in its entirety.

phill4paul
03-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Is providing body cameras a function of the Federal Government?

acptulsa
03-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Is providing body cameras a function of the Federal Government?

Not hardly.

jmdrake
03-26-2015, 10:30 AM
How would a body camera have helped in the Eric Garner case? It was all caught on video and there was still no indictment.

FriedChicken
03-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Haven't read the particulars.

If this means: Fed. Gov. should provide MORE money to police departments for this - I'm not a fan.
If this means: Out of the dollars the Fed. Gov. already provides for police departments, a certain amount be allocated for this - I'm a fan.

I don't think the federal government ought to be involved, but if they're already involved I don't mind the involvement be directed in more productive areas.

jllundqu
03-26-2015, 11:35 AM
The idea that police should wear cams: GOOD
The idea that the fed gov has any say whatsoever in state/county/local law enforcement: BAD
The idea that Rand Paul is pushing for federal (taxpayer $$) intervention in purely state/county/local matters: VERY BAD

I know it says "existing" funding... but it's still a matter of principle. Federal grants to local law enforcement is the reason we have tanks and MRAPs on our streets....

I am not approve.

Galileo Galilei
03-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Someone is watching Big Brother!

jmdrake
03-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Someone is watching Big Brother!

Yeah. But now Big Brother will have eyes on wherever his minions are. Police come to your house for any reason and have a look see and now they have a permanent record of the inside. This could be a double edged sword.

phill4paul
03-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Yeah. But now Big Brother will have eyes on wherever his minions are. Police come to your house for any reason and have a look see and now they have a permanent record of the inside. This could be a double edged sword.

Exactly. This expands the surveillance state. Everything that is captured by that camera can be used. The technology isn't quite there yet but it ill be in the next ten years. Facial recognition. License plate readers. Thermal body imaging for recognizing concealed carry. The technology is coming. And as you mentioned it hasn't led to a police conviction.

devil21
03-26-2015, 12:30 PM
This should only apply to federal police. Come on Rand, you know the feds have no business being involved in federal funding of police toys that the cops will use against people but not for them (hearsay rule). There's already at least 15 states pushing to restrict public access to the footage, so where's the accountability???

jkr
03-26-2015, 01:08 PM
more fedbucks justifying their existence
and then

dey turn does fuggers off!

nobody's_hero
03-26-2015, 04:45 PM

One reason I haven't been completely sold on body-cameras. If they are programmed to only turn on if the officer has his gun out of the holster, maybe. If not, then I don't see much difference between body cameras and lamp-post listening devices.

tod evans
03-26-2015, 05:18 PM
The idea that police should wear cams: GOOD
The idea that the fed gov has any say whatsoever in state/county/local law enforcement: BAD
The idea that Rand Paul is pushing for federal (taxpayer $$) intervention in purely state/county/local matters: VERY BAD

I know it says "existing" funding... but it's still a matter of principle. Federal grants to local law enforcement is the reason we have tanks and MRAPs on our streets....

I am not approve.

Carpenters have to provide the tools of their trade why should kops be any different?

Make the bastards provide publically accessible, real time video feed of every hour they are on the public dime.

As little as 10 seconds of undocumented time must be an immediate felony conviction, loss of all gun rights and mandatory ban from any publically funded employment including trash collector.

DamianTV
03-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Carpenters have to provide the tools of their trade why should kops be any different?

Make the bastards provide publically accessible, real time video feed of every hour they are on the public dime.

As little as 10 seconds of undocumented time must be an immediate felony conviction, loss of all gun rights and mandatory ban from any publically funded employment including trash collector.

Make Cops hold a Bake Sale to afford their shiny new Anti Mine Tank that they want to use to give Speeding Tickets!

Crashland
03-26-2015, 05:48 PM
There are worse things to break with hard libertarianism on.

phill4paul
03-26-2015, 05:49 PM

Or pay them $7 an hour.

dannno
03-26-2015, 05:52 PM
How would a body camera have helped in the Eric Garner case? It was all caught on video and there was still no indictment.

I'm sorta torn on the issue, but I can see how having a body camera might make police behave better.