PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico reigns in Civil Forfeitures

kpitcher
03-25-2015, 10:49 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2015/03/24/new-mexico-legislature-passes-sweeping-bill-to-rein-in-forfeiture-abuses/

The state Senate has just passed a sweeping bill that would virtually eliminate the practice of civil asset forfeiture and on this issue leave New Mexico as the most Fifth Amendment-friendly state in the country.

The bill would basically require a criminal conviction before police can take property associated with a crime. “Civil” asset forfeiture, by definition, allows law enforcement to seize and keep property without a criminal conviction. It often puts the onus on the property owner to “prove” that he or she obtained the property legitimately, or that it wasn’t used for criminal activity.

The bill was supported by the American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico, the conservative think tank the Rio Grande Foundation, the Drug Policy Alliance and the libertarian law firm the Institute for Justice (IJ). In an e-mail, Peter Simonson of the ACLU-NM writes, “The sponsor was the Republican chair of the House Judiciary Committee and the bill had strong bipartisan support throughout the legislative process, passing both chambers unanimously.”

The bill was even praised by New Mexico resident Brad Cates, who headed up the Justice Department’s forfeiture office during the Reagan administration, the era when the more odious practices began.

thoughtomator
03-26-2015, 04:23 AM
Reign, rein, rain

my pet peeve the way some people mix up they're, their, there

in this case the wrong choice completely reverses the meaning of the headline

NativeOne
03-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Reign, rein, rain

my pet peeve the way some people mix up they're, their, there

in this case the wrong choice completely reverses the meaning of the headline

LOL

People like you keeps us mundanes, on top of the game ;)

i pray this New Mexico bill takes off like the wildfire it assuredly will ...