PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court leaves Wisconsin voter identification law intact

NACBA
03-23-2015, 08:29 AM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday left intact a new Republican-backed law in Wisconsin that requires voters to present photo identification when they cast ballots.

The court declined to hear an appeal filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, which challenged the law.

Voter identification laws have been put in place in a number of Republican-governed states over the objection of many Democrats. Republicans in Wisconsin and other states say such rules are needed to prevent voter fraud. Democrats say the laws are intended to suppress the turnout of minorities and other groups that tend to voter for Democrats.

In October, the court temporarily blocked the Wisconsin law. It did not explain its reasoning at the time, but it was most likely because the statute was being implemented so close to the November election, which could have caused confusion and disruption.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-supreme-court-leaves-intact-wisconsin-voter-identification-133946104.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=fb&fb_ref=Default

PAF
03-24-2015, 08:29 AM
With most of the choices (other than Rand) what difference does it make?

For the record, I OPPOSE voter ID "laws", which eventually will end up "nationalized", recorded in some database.

If you are that concerned with voter "fraud", then it is up to YOU to work your precinct at the local level, where you know the folks in your community. Take exit polls, tallies, etc. to get an idea of how folks in your community voted. This is how one can be engaged and where it matters most.

Btw, ALL 3 of my RP delegates won in my precincts. Not only did my exit polling indicate this, I compared it to the numbers that were reported which all lined up. And it didn't cost the taxpayers a single penny or their privacy. Had things reflected differently, there are ways to deal with that. Knowledge is power, and so is local.