PDA

View Full Version : PROOF that the WAR ON TERROR is a democrat position using reagan/carter debate!!!!

BarryDonegan
12-04-2007, 02:13 PM
taken from

http://www.debates.org/pages/trans80b.html

this was a Reagan vs. Carter debate at the league of women voters.

"MR. CARTER: Barbara, one of the blights on this world is the threat and the activities of terrorists. At one of the recent economic summit conferences between myself and the other leaders of the western world, we committed ourselves to take strong action against terrorism. Airplane hijacking was one of the elements of that commitment. There is no doubt that we have seen in recent years - in recent months - additional acts of violence against Jews in France and, of course, against those who live in Israel, by the PLO and other terrorist organizations. Ultimately, the most serious terrorist threat is if one of those radical nations, who believe in terrorism as a policy, should have atomic weapons. Both I and all my predecessors have had a deep commitment to controlling the proliferation of nuclear weapons. In countries like Libya or Iraq, we have even alienated some of our closest trade partners because we have insisted upon the control of the spread of nuclear weapons to those potentially terrorist countries. When Governor Reagan has been asked about that, he makes the very disturbing comment that non-proliferation, or the control of the spread of nuclear weapons, is none of our business. And recently when he was asked specifically about Iraq, he said there is nothing we can do about it. This ultimate terrorist threat is the most fearsome of all, and it's part of a pattern where our country must stand firm to control terrorism of all kinds."

Reagans position was to build up the strength of our military and that its not our role to police the military capability of other nations. Carter's overall reputation was very weak on defense.

klamath
12-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Good find! I don't remember that part of the debate. It is real easy now to try and blame Bush for a US policy that has been going back 30 years or more. Only one man has had it right the whole time.
If we can find Reagan's actual quotes it would be great to add this to the Reagan/Paul ads.

axiomata
12-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Great find! Most neo-cons I know despise Carter and love Reagan, this will be a good one for them.

BarryDonegan
12-04-2007, 03:08 PM
most of the older republican voters that i know voted for Carter, felt scammed, then switched for Reagan. any allusion to carter is intensely negative to them. Now you can prove iraq and the war on terror is his position.

valis23
12-04-2007, 03:10 PM
From the 2000 debates: GW Bush [2:33] describes the SAME reasonable foreign policy that Ron Paul advocates, and THAT policy won him the presidency against Clinton's VP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX-FiXTgKFo

nunaem
12-04-2007, 03:18 PM
"BUT! 9/11 changed everything! Even Jimmy Carter's party affiliation!"

Thats likely to be the neocon's response.

axiomata
12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Oops. One problem though. It is a lot less powerful if you intentionally leave out Reagan's response.

MR. REAGAN: Yes. I have no quarrel whatsoever with the things that have been done, because I believe it is high time that the civilized countries of the world made it plain that there is no room worldwide for terrorism; there will be no negotiation with terrorists of any kind. And while I have a last word here, I would like to correct a misstatement of fact by the President. I have never made the statement that he suggested about nuclear proliferation and nuclear proliferation, or the trying to halt it, would be a major part of a foreign policy of mine.

Paulitician
12-04-2007, 04:02 PM
From the 2000 debates: GW Bush [2:33] describes the SAME reasonable foreign policy that Ron Paul advocates, and THAT policy won him the presidency against Clinton's VP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX-FiXTgKFo
LOL "maybe I'm missing something here"

"If you give me your trust I will honor it"

hahaha, so much for that lie. I actually really like his rhetoric here.