PDA

View Full Version : The CIA Just Declassified the Document That Supposedly Justified the Iraq Invasion

Suzanimal
03-20-2015, 05:04 PM

"There was an insufficient critical skepticism about some of the source material," he now says about the unredacted NIE. "I think there should have been agnosticism expressed in the main judgments. It would have been a better paper if it were more carefully drafted in that sort of direction."

But Pillar, now a visiting professor at Georgetown University, added that the Bush administration had already made the decision to go to war in Iraq, so the NIE "didn't influence [their] decision." Pillar added that he was told by congressional aides that only a half-dozen senators and a few House members read past the NIE's five-page summary.

David Kay, a former Iraq weapons inspector who also headed the Iraq Survey Group, told Frontline that the intelligence community did a "poor job" on the NIE, "probably the worst of the modern NIE's, partly explained by the pressure, but more importantly explained by the lack of information they had. And it was trying to drive towards a policy conclusion where the information just simply didn't support it."

The most controversial part of the NIE, which has been picked apart hundreds of times over the past decade and has been thoroughly debunked, pertained to a section about Iraq's attempts to acquire aluminum tubes. The Bush administration claimed that this was evidence that Iraq was pursuing a nuclear weapon.

National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice stated at the time on CNN that the tubes "are only really suited for nuclear weapons programs, centrifuge programs," and that "we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud."

The version of the NIE released in 2004 redacted the aluminum tubes section in its entirety. But the newly declassified assessment unredacts a majority of it and shows that the intelligence community was unsure why "Saddam is personally interested in the procurement of aluminum tubes." The US Department of Energy concluded that the dimensions of the aluminum tubes were "consistent with applications to rocket motors" and "this is the more likely end use." The State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research also disagreed with the intelligence community's assertions that Iraq had reconstituted its nuclear weapons program.

According to the latest figures compiled by Iraq Body Count, to date more than 200,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed, although other sources say the casualties are twice as high. More than 4,000 US soldiers have been killed in Iraq, and tens of thousands more have been injured and maimed. The war has cost US taxpayers more than $800 billion.

https://news.vice.com/article/the-cia-just-declassified-the-document-that-supposedly-justified-the-iraq-invasion

enhanced_deficit
03-20-2015, 06:48 PM
The way SWC Bush team used or rather abused SWC Powell as the "public face of Iraq war rationale" case internationally is a sad chapter in US freedoming history.

Bush Administration's Powell Abuse Scandal (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/04/1088824/-Colin-Powell-so-so-sad-he-can-t-erase-blot-on-his-reputation)

http://images2.dailykos.com/i/user/6/colin-powell.jpg

“Yes, a blot, a failure will always be attached to me and my UN presentation,” the former U.S. secretary of state writes in a new book of leadership parables that draws frequently on his Iraq war experience. “I am mad mostly at myself for not having smelled the problem. My instincts failed me.” Powell, 75, laments that no intelligence officials had the “courage” to warn that he was given false information that Iraq had such weapons during preparations for his February 2003 speech before the U.S. invasion the following month.

At one point, he became so angry at the lack of adequate sourcing to intelligence claims that he declared: "I'm not reading this. This is bullshit,"

kpitcher
03-21-2015, 01:17 AM
I have to believe many saw Powell as a potential threat in future elections and destroyed his credibility while getting the war they were after.

Ronin Truth
03-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Is it written in crayon?

enhanced_deficit
03-21-2015, 03:22 PM
I have to believe many saw Powell as a potential threat in future elections and destroyed his credibility while getting the war they were after.

Does that mean he was an unwilling participant forced by SWC Bush team or he actually believed in Iraq WMD "evidence" he presented at the UN freedom assembly?

But yes, political or just plain futures in general of Cheney, Rumsfeld, Polwell, Condi Rice etc were destroyed due to Iraqi freedom.

Dianne
03-21-2015, 09:15 PM
I like where Paul is going with this. He needs to continue hitting Hillary on her foreign government payouts for the free FOX News coverage. When it hits, FOX will air it.