PDA

View Full Version : How can the entire IRS go?

silverhandorder
12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
IRS handles so many jobs besides income tax that I see no way of getting rid of it all. My mother works as an inspector making sure businesses are honest with their share holders. She tells me her department will continue to function even if income tax is abolished.

Oddball
12-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Then her job would be rolled into another agency, presuming it has any cosnstitutional business existing in the first place.

fsk
12-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Or, she could find a job in the private sector. With the IRS gone, all that wealth will be spent on something productive, instead of being squandered by the government.

Look at this argument: "What are all the Blackwater executives going to do if the IRS is abolished?" Doesn't that sound kind of silly?

murrayrothbard
12-04-2007, 06:29 PM
IRS handles so many jobs besides income tax that I see no way of getting rid of it all. My mother works as an inspector making sure businesses are honest with their share holders. She tells me her department will continue to function even if income tax is abolished.

I'm sorry but "but what about all those cushy bureaucrat jobs?" is the lamest excuse for keeping a government bureaucracy. Get a real job. :rolleyes: If the function of the job is actually in demand by consumers then someone will be hiring for it. If not then it has no reason to exist.

rfbz
12-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Somebody was recently asked about the many people employed by the IRS and how cutting the IRS would be cutting a lot of jobs and hurting those who depend on them. I think it was Huckabee. I'm no Huckabee supporter by any means, but he did have a good response: The government is not in the business of employment.

The government's role is not to employ as many people who don't have jobs in the private sector. The government is supposed to have certain roles and yes it does need employees, and in turn creates income for those employees. But that is not the reason for government agencies, nor should it be.

If we mix the cutting of the IRS with Ron Paul's other policies of stabilizing the economy, there should be plenty of opportunities for these people that lose their jobs.