PDA

View Full Version : Chasm Deepens in GOP Over Spending

AuH20
03-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Screw the "seniors" and "the troops." I, for one, am tired of the hostage taking!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/16/us/politics/budget-battle-in-gop-is-test-of-governance.html?_r=1

WASHINGTON — The congressional push this week to secure the first Republican budget plan in nearly a decade is revealing a chasm between fiscal hawks determined to maintain strict spending caps and defense hawks who are threatening to derail any budget that does not ensure an increase for the military.

“This is a war within the Republican Party,” said Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, who has vowed to oppose a final budget that does not ensure more military spending. “You can shade it any way you want, but this is war.”

The divisions will be laid bare Tuesday when congressional leaders unveil blueprints that hew to spending limits imposed by the budget battles of 2011.

Representative Mike Turner, Republican of Ohio, and 69 other House Republicans signed a letter to Speaker John A. Boehner of Ohio, demanding that the budget at least match Mr. Obama’s defense request of $561 billion, $38 billion above the statutory caps. Caught in the middle are a new crop of freshman Republican senators who emphasized national security in their campaigns but are facing heavy pressure from their leaders to fall in line.

“It’s a disaster,” Senator Thom Tillis, Republican of North Carolina, one of those freshmen, said of the sequestration cap. “Thematically, we all agree sequestration must go.”

The strict caps “are one of the best things that’s happened to the finances of the country,” said Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, a senior Republican on the Budget Committee.

Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, who is expected to seek the Republican presidential nomination, said he would not support lifting the caps. Lawmakers are scrambling to finesse the problem. Senator Kelly Ayotte, Republican of New Hampshire, and Mr. Enzi are pressing for a place holder in the budget — a “deficit-neutral reserve fund” — that they say would allow Congress to come back in the coming months with legislation to lift the spending caps.

That number may not supersede the legally binding cap, he said, but it instructs the House and Senate Appropriations Committees to override the caps later this year.

“Don’t talk about national security,” Mr. McCain warned his own party. “Don’t complain about the president of the United States if we are going to stick to the sequestration numbers.”

ZENemy
03-17-2015, 01:18 PM
“This is a war within the Republican Party,” said Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, who has vowed to oppose a final budget that does not ensure more military spending. “You can shade it any way you want, but this is war.”

When Elephants fight, many Ants are killed.

Southron
03-17-2015, 01:28 PM
I had a feeling Tillis would be our Lindsey Graham.

AuH20
03-17-2015, 01:32 PM
I had a feeling Tillis would be our Lindsey Graham.

How I feel about Tillis.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/13WIF/turrible/image.png

AuH20
03-17-2015, 02:52 PM
how appropriate

http://hw.infowars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/still-waiting.jpg

Brian4Liberty
03-17-2015, 03:45 PM
There is really no other reason for RINOs and neocons like Lindsey Graham to be in the Republican party other than to undermine and collude with the Democrats

Acala
03-18-2015, 10:21 AM
What exactly is Graham's mental malfunction?

georgiaboy
03-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Ridiculous. These spenders should be ashamed to call themselves Republicans.

Wondering - think we could get fiscal hawk legislators to start wearing caps? Or maybe don a pin of a cap - say a bottle cap! :)

Intoxiklown
03-18-2015, 10:53 AM

The answer is in the question, my friend.

angelatc
03-18-2015, 01:30 PM

I have to wonder why the good people of SC keep electing him!