PDA

View Full Version : Snowden at SXSW: Be Very Concerned About The Trickle Down of NSA Surveillance to Local Police

DamianTV
03-16-2015, 07:00 AM
http://www.privacysos.org/node/1694

I just had the privilege of attending a small conversation session with Edward Snowden and a number of technology and policy leaders at SXSW. He spoke for about an hour on a range of subjects related to his disclosures, possible federal legislation—good and bad—coming down the pike, and specific issues at the intersection of technology and privacy.

And totally unprompted, to my extreme delight, he repeatedly raised the spectre of the trickle down of mass surveillance data to the state and local police. I couldn't agree more with him that this is a central and largely undiscussed problem.

Here's what he said, touching on stingray surveillance and obliquely referencing so-called 'fusion centers', places where state and local cops obtain and disseminate 'intelligence' information, some of it classified.

It’s happening in a dark room, behind closed doors, to some bad guy. [People] want to think it’s about terrorists. [These programs] never made a concrete difference in any [terrorism case] at all.

More on Link.