PDA

View Full Version : Ron is going to need allies. Will you run for congress?

Patrick_Henry
12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
If you are even considering running for a position, let us know. If you are, just post what state you're living in so we can get a better sense of where we stand. We should be trying to encourage this because no one else is going to change this country if we don't try. I think we should try to organize this so we can discuss our strategies.

skiingff
12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Not Congress, but *eventually* some local office like Attorney General, water board, clerk of court, etc.

Then work my way up.

JMann
12-04-2007, 12:59 PM
This is a problem because Paul will not have many people in congress. I've thought about this problem and it would be great if people would step up to the plate but running for office is a dirty job.

Platondas
12-04-2007, 01:03 PM
I think someone is running in Florida

cswake
12-04-2007, 01:04 PM
This is has been lingering in the back of my head. We need to consider the possibility that if Paul doesn't win the nomination, we need to continue an organized movement to take control of our country and kick the bureaucrats out of office.

PS. If Paul makes it to the general election I predict it'll be a landslide, in his favor, with the scale of 1984.

Santana28
12-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Not Congress, but *eventually* some local office like Attorney General, water board, clerk of court, etc.

Then work my way up.

waterboarding, eh? j/k :)

RPinSEAZ
12-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Eventually, but I am in no way prepared for something like that right now.

Danny Molina
FAAAAAR too much dirt on me.

ThomasJ
I will be running in 2010 most likely in MT.

jaumen
12-04-2007, 01:16 PM
I've thought about it, but if I did it wouldn't be till a few election cycles from now.... I'm just not ready for it at this point.

RTsquared
12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
'08? Not a chance...there's a Republican incumbent in my district, and he hasn't killed anyone or anything, so I'll pass.

In the future? Anything could happen...the skeletons in my closet aren't TOO scary. I'd need a LOT of work though...in addition to winning friends and influencing people in the local party.

wgadget
12-04-2007, 01:30 PM

Then work my way up.

waterboard? Isn't that illegal?

jgmaynard
12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
You really can't start effectively at the Congressional level. That's one of the mistakes that the LP has made for 30 years. You need to build people up in City Council elections, State Representative (especially in NH with our 400 member legislature), etc. Only then can you reasonably got into Federal or Gubernatorial races with any hope for winning.
Just IMHO.

JM

mconder
12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I am considering running as a Constitution Party candidate, but if Ron Paul was elected it would certainly help my possible viability as a Republican candidate.

Patrick_Henry
12-04-2007, 04:18 PM
You really can't start effectively at the Congressional level. That's one of the mistakes that the LP has made for 30 years. You need to build people up in City Council elections, State Representative (especially in NH with our 400 member legislature), etc. Only then can you reasonably got into Federal or Gubernatorial races with any hope for winning.
Just IMHO.

JM

Never tell a Ron Paul supporter what can or cannot happen. :)

jgmaynard
12-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Never tell a Ron Paul supporter what can or cannot happen. :)

Hey, I understand. I'm also a Red Sox fan. After 2004, I don't doubt anything can happen. :)

But, you know, it's like I love Michael Badnarik as a person and I think he'd make a fantastic President. But no one in the general public is going to vote for a computer programmer with no political experience to the highest office in the land. OK, maybe if they had a jillion dollars and could advertise the bejebuzes out of their campaign. :) Or if, you know, they had all of us behind them. :D

JM

Ridiculous
12-04-2007, 04:34 PM
I am considering a run of some kind after I finish my MBA, I am 29 now. To be successful I will probably have to get involved with the local Republicans for a couple years first.

Dequeant
12-04-2007, 04:36 PM
I will definitely be considering a run as soon as i get out of the military. I will most likely run for a local office first, such as mayor or sheriff. After a couple years of that i'll try a run for congress.

With any luck, i'll be awesome, and make a run for the white house eventually (i'm serious).

My policies......pretty much be as close to Ron Paul as i can be....hopefully i'll have more allies in congress than he has. I'll focus on studying texts that the founding fathers wrote. That'll hopefully give me insite into what is actually meant when people try to misconstrue the wording.

Issue most important to me: an amendment for periodic review of constitutionality of laws, with a process for challenging those laws.

Another amendment would be nice if it actually created a process for declarations of war. As of now congress can do it pretty much any way it likes, there is no set "process" as there is for making laws and amending the constitution.

Patrick_Henry
12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey, I understand. I'm also a Red Sox fan. After 2004, I don't doubt anything can happen. :)

But, you know, it's like I love Michael Badnarik as a person and I think he'd make a fantastic President. But no one in the general public is going to vote for a computer programmer with no political experience to the highest office in the land. OK, maybe if they had a jillion dollars and could advertise the bejebuzes out of their campaign. :) Or if, you know, they had all of us behind them. :D

JM

I understand where you are coming from, but we aren't going to get anyone elected if no one is willing to try either. Running for congress would be fairly difficult, but it's a lot cheaper than running for president. :)

If we have several hundred RP supporters running for office, I bet we could get a few elected. It takes dedication. We aren't going to "take over", but I think we could make progress over the coming years.

Bruehound
12-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I would suggest those who are interested to start with races at the level of state legislator. It takes at the very least $500,000 to run competitively in a congressional primary.

And get professional candidate training. Do not make the mistake many LP candidates do and simply run with good ideas and a nice website. There is alot more involved than that.

If you are serious about running, start networking two years in advance by attending as many meetings of busniess,civic and political organizations as you can. Once your Christmas card list gets to 500 then you are ready to run.

JMann
12-04-2007, 04:53 PM
The problem with libertarians is that they run as Libertarians. They should run as Dems or Reps if they want to win. See Ron Paul.

ursamajor
12-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Not old enough as in 25. I need to get a graduate degree before I start a political 'career'

JosephTheLibertarian
12-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Yes, I am considering a run for congress.

:rolleyes: I don't think I will.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Not old enough as in 25. I need to get a graduate degree before I start a political 'career'

You don't need any degree.

10thAmendmentMan
12-04-2007, 04:57 PM
You don't need any degree.

But most people erroneously believe that if you don't have a degree, you aren't educated. Unfortunately, in politics perception is reality.

mosquitobite
12-04-2007, 04:59 PM
FAAAAAR too much dirt on me.
LOL! That's my concern for myself as well! :D

In Indiana district 9 there is a good, no GREAT, Libertarian candidate.
www.schansbergforcongress.com

So luckily, I'm safe from having to run. But I can't say the desire isn't there. I worked with Dr Schansberg's campaign some last year, but will try to be more involved this year.

Depending on the legs the Tea Party gets and the media exposure to Dr Paul after that, we may have some libertarians able to win.

In our district it's the same two fighting year after year (Hill vs Sodrel) and there isn't a dime's bit of difference between the two of them.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-04-2007, 05:02 PM
But most people erroneously believe that if you don't have a degree, you aren't educated. Unfortunately, in politics perception is reality.

You don't need any education. They teach you all you need to know right before you take office. (after you're elected)

ItsTime
12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
I would but my congressman already endorsed Ron Paul

EricRAlbrecht
12-04-2007, 05:04 PM
I am actually considering running for the Oklahoma state legislature.

People in my meetup have offered to help me.

Patrick_Henry
12-04-2007, 05:06 PM
I would but my congressman already endorsed Ron Paul

Awesome! Who is he/she?