PDA

View Full Version : How Ron Needs to Defuse the Abortion Question.

BuddyRey
12-04-2007, 12:21 PM
This is what RP needs to say regarding abortion. "Instead of focusing on legality of abortion on a Federal level, let's ask ourselves if, in a prosperous economy where one-income households can once again make ends meet and the poor and working class aren't taxed and mortgaged into early graves, if anybody would still see the necessity for abortion. When we address the socio-economic conditions that drive women to pinch their pennies and halt the growth of their families, abortions will be a non-issue, because nobody will want them in the first place!"

da32130
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I think what he said was better. They are for abortion and he made them think. He did as well as could be hoped.

Blowback
12-04-2007, 12:26 PM
He performed perfectly. He almost used the Socratic mehtod to educate them on the complexities of the issues and dispell the false pretense that you are either for OR against abortion. He stressed it is a difficult issue that should be solved locally. PERFECT

dante
12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
This is what RP needs to say regarding abortion. "Instead of focusing on legality of abortion on a Federal level, let's ask ourselves if, in a prosperous economy where one-income households can once again make ends meet and the poor and working class aren't taxed and mortgaged into early graves, if anybody would still see the necessity for abortion. When we address the socio-economic conditions that drive women to pinch their pennies and halt the growth of their families, abortions will be a non-issue, because nobody will want them in the first place!"

This is a great point

axiomata
12-04-2007, 12:37 PM
This will be something to bring up once he gets the nomination and runs in the general election, but while he is still going for the Republican nomination, there is no need to "defuse" the abortion issue.

schmeisser
12-04-2007, 12:39 PM
This will be something to bring up once he gets the nomination and runs in the general election, but while he is still going for the Republican nomination, there is no need to "defuse" the abortion issue.

Why can't folks understand this? Republican Primary
I know his position is much more nuanced, but for purposes of the nomination "pro-Life" will suffice.

DJ RP
12-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Why can't people understand that ron paul is loved because he doesn't dodge issues or use political tricks but because he answers questions straight forwardly and makes you think about the issues. He has singlehandedly made me think about tons of issues I'd never considered before and made me switch on issues I had. He does this by being unassuming, unconfrontational and offering facts and LISTENING.

Ron Paul did great on the View and I wish people would quit with negative threads unless they are warranted.

Question_Authority
12-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Why can't folks understand this? Republican Primary
I know his position is much more nuanced, but for purposes of the nomination "pro-Life" will suffice.

But most REPUBLICANS are already against him, and the polls show he is gaining very little in that arena. He needs to convert independents or democrats to vote Republican in the primary.

Syren123
12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I find in talking to groups that abortion is much more huge than I ever imagined. I figured just the fact that Dr P wants to return the issue to the states for resolution would be sufficient, but it's definitely not. I get high school girls discussing the minutiae about not being able to cross state lines for an abortion because of residence requirements etc etc and then hardcore pro-life women for whom it's all or nothing - abortion must be totally illegal across the board, no negotiation, or forget it. And EVERYONE has her own agenda of 'being right'. Abortion is hands down the worst issue to discuss. Iraq gets contentious mostly because people are misinformed and many times can be swayed, but abortion - no way.

Question_Authority
12-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Why can't people understand that ron paul is loved because he doesn't dodge issues or use political tricks but because he answers questions straight forwardly and makes you think about the issues. He has singlehandedly made me think about tons of issues I'd never considered before and made me switch on issues I had. He does this by being unassuming, unconfrontational and offering facts and LISTENING.

Ron Paul did great on the View and I wish people would quit with negative threads unless they are warranted.

But he was confrontational with Joy. In trying to trip her up on how she really felt about abortion, he tripped himself up and the message got lost in the banter.

Ron Paul is my hero but he is not perfect.

FrankRep
12-04-2007, 12:44 PM

I like Ron Paul's stance. Sorry.

jake
12-04-2007, 12:45 PM

Money is not always the cause for wanting an abortion, but a good viewpoint nonetheless

dude58677
12-04-2007, 12:45 PM

He said in his years as a physician, it isn't medically necessary.

BuddyRey
12-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I like Ron Paul's stance. Sorry.

I do too, but it doesn't do him any good having to explain the side he takes in a petty wedge issue that will probably never see a national consensus. Abortion is a symptom of a disease, not the disease itself. In a free and prosperous society, who would want to abort their child? Nobody, that's who. Abortion is a self-preservational instinct that usually flourishes wherever desolation and poverty are present. Like a previous poster said, not all abortions are related to financial concerns, but that is a much bigger slice of the pie than most any other factor out there, IMHO.

dircha
12-04-2007, 10:02 PM

I think with this type of stance you end up not making anyone happy.

The problem is that the reasons for seeking an abortion are as much social as economic; a stronger economy isn't going to make abortion go away.

Not to mention, Congressman Paul has strong moral beliefs about abortion. He believes it is murder. He truly does, and he has repeatedly said this. Does the seriousness of that resonate with you? He has seen it done and he believes it is murder. This isn't an issue where he can just take the path of political convenience, and I would never ask him to.

We know that a pro-life candidate can win the presidency. We know that Ron Paul is pro-life. And we know that most pro-choice single issue voters are not sophisticated enough to appreciate the states-rights distinction.

Ron Paul should stick to his guns on this.

I wish there were a good compromise, but I just don't see it.

dircha
12-04-2007, 10:10 PM
I do too, but it doesn't do him any good having to explain the side he takes in a petty wedge issue that will probably never see a national consensus. Abortion is a symptom of a disease, not the disease itself. In a free and prosperous society, who would want to abort their child? Nobody, that's who. Abortion is a self-preservational instinct that usually flourishes wherever desolation and poverty are present. Like a previous poster said, not all abortions are related to financial concerns, but that is a much bigger slice of the pie than most any other factor out there, IMHO.

I'm sorry but I've read your followups and I have to say I think the suggestion is just wrong about the motivations for abortion. An improved economy will not make abortion go away. Having a child for many people in various stages of life is:
- a social stigma
- a roadblock to a career
- a roadblock to an education
- a substantial time commitment
- a substantial burden on personal freedom

Eliminating "a big slice of the pie" of abortion isn't the issue.

By suggesting that this is the issue, we are simply ECHOING the pro-choice position.

Committed pro-lifers reject this out of hand. This is not a compromise, this is a defeat.

Duckman
12-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Abortion is an issue where people just can't reach any kind of compromise. One side feels its an intolerable burden to be forced to carry a pregnancy, and the other side feels the alternative is a murder that can't be justified by that or indeed any circumstance. Debates about when life begins are enigmatic and nobody is satisfied by the results. So, the controversy rages on and on. If abortions are made illegal it will still rage on and on. The best compromise is to let states decide, so that the minimum people will be unhappy with the situation.