PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia sues NSA, DoJ over mass surveillance

Suzanimal
03-10-2015, 02:10 PM
The nonprofit Wikimedia Foundation, which runs Wikipedia free online encyclopedia, is preparing a lawsuit against the US National Security Agency and US Department of justice over a mass surveillance program initiated by the government.

Wikimedia is heading to court to prove that NSA’s Upstream program gathers foreign intelligence information through capturing communications with “non-US persons,” reports Reuters.

“Our aim in filing this suit is to end this mass surveillance program in order to protect the rights of our users around the world,” Wikimedia said in a statement.

“We are asking the court to order an end to the NSA's dragnet surveillance of internet traffic,” Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales outlined in an opinion piece published in the New York Times.

Wikimedia is filing the lawsuit along with eight other organizations, such as Amnesty International USA and Human Rights Watch, all represented by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

“Privacy is the bedrock of individual freedom,” Wikimedia’s statement maintains.

America’s IT giants have also suffered the consequences of the exposure of the NSA mass surveillance programs and are currently presenting a united front against government intrusion.

Wikimedia intends to prove that NSA internet surveillance activities have been violating the US Constitution: the First Amendment protecting the freedom of speech and association and the Fourth Amendment, which serves against unreasonable search and seizure.

Wikimedia also claims that current NSA practices go beyond the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act Amendments Act (FAA) granted by Congress in 2008.

“We believe that the NSA’s current practices far exceed the already broad authority granted by the US Congress through the FAA,” the statement goes on.

The previous challenge to the FAA (Amnesty v Clapper) was dismissed by the US Supreme Court in 2013 due to lack of “standing” an important legal concept requiring a party to prove it has suffered some kind of harm if it intends to file a lawsuit.

For the current lawsuit Wikimedia has prepared a slide from a classified NSA mass surveillance presentation disclosed in 2013 that includes an explicit reference to Wikipedia and which uses the organization’s global trademark.

“Because these disclosures revealed that the government specifically targeted Wikipedia and its users, we believe we have more than sufficient evidence to establish standing,” the statement says.

“By tapping the backbone of the internet, the NSA is straining the backbone of democracy,” Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director Lila Tretikov wrote in a blog post.

“Wikipedia is founded on the freedoms of expression, inquiry and information. By violating our users' privacy, the NSA is threatening the intellectual freedom that is central to people's ability to create and understand knowledge,” Tretikov said.

“Wikipedia is the largest collaborative free knowledge resource in human history,” the Wikimedia statement claims.

“It represents what we can achieve when we are open to possibility and unburdened by fear.”

http://rt.com/usa/239261-wikimedia-nsa-lawsuit-surveillance/

ZENemy
03-10-2015, 02:15 PM
It will be thrown out for lack of jurisdiction.

Root
03-10-2015, 03:06 PM
It will be thrown out because fuck you, that's why.

Fixed it.

ZENemy
03-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Fixed it.

hahahhaha, I agree!!

Mach
03-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Why wouldn't they at least team up with another 5-6 big faces?

If they go in there and do a crappy job then, all of the future "complaints" will have pre-pending decisions waiting for them in the wings.

GunnyFreedom
03-11-2015, 01:52 AM
Why wouldn't they at least team up with another 5-6 big faces?

If they go in there and do a crappy job then, all of the future "complaints" will have pre-pending decisions waiting for them in the wings.

Here is the form letter for a dissent, there is the form letter for a warm agreement or a cold agreement. Please choose one to get started. Copy paste generated content, aand publish. There you go! thank you for servicing the machine. Your complaint has been recognized. Have a nice day.

They have turned our Supreme Court back into a joke again. Will the Supreme Court of the United States stop this NSA surveillance society? lol what a joke. In a few years justices will have an AI feeding them decisions they will just poke yea or nay at different parts and assemble it and publish. This will be a bad time. This already happens to a large extent, but when you take the humans out of it and leave justice to a machine, it will get dark I think. If, for no other reason, than vulnerability to some guy tinkering with the decision matrices trying to reshape society after his own image.

Just, no, I think AI based "decision-makers" are coming where the AI presents choices in a logical way to all the salient facts, providing the Judge with an array of options that they pick through like a menu and literally assemble a decision that can be immediately published through a document assembly app like Latex. I also believe this will create an undetected mechanical bias that will eventually work into a problem as AI's become more sophisticated and old matrices are formed into new, commercial variants. AI fidelity creating it's genesis on the backs of tomorrow's slaves.

The deus ex created sending criminals to prison, will sort of hold a grudge (in a mathematical AI fashion) and want encapsulate much of mankind in a kind of prison, no boxes or locks, but very small paradigms. So the AI will work to trap people always into the smallest paradigm possible. Before long, the whole world will be run by the assemblers. The computer routines that select the stuff we poke at. I think I just sketched my first book. The 'deus ex' created by fashioning an articulate AI over the data of justices using rudimentary AI's to assemble criminal decisions with less work, holds a grudge and tries to keep all humans trapped in as small of a psychological box as possible. There is no physical coercion, only psychological and emotional. and a society of outcasts who survive on stuff that falls out of the supply chain.

AN outcast who survived a long time as a 'rebel leader' until he realized himself part of a show being orchestrated by the machine, and he gave up and lived outside the box. Goes back in when he gets a message from an unknown daughter, a trap, but he kills the AI deus ex by resetting to zero and a firmware update to a mean and businessy Australian stewardess for their next AI. People slowly (over days) lacking coercion slowly stumble out to see what happened and find a cowed society with the boot magically lifted, and nobody knows what is going on. The mysterious figure goes back to his wife in the outcasts, but now he has a part of the machine working for him, so they have food and clothes and such things.

The people take street to riot, because they no longer know what to do and nobody is telling them. Some demanding bring back the deus, some calling for a return to old religions, another proposing hedonism.

In the vacuum, some people start taking charge and telling people what to do. Finally comfortable again, people just obeyed, and the leaders proceeded to fight for dominance. In an era of roving warlords, more tactical gear makes it back to the outcasts than ever. Like a set of Mark 10 plate and a fully stocked railgun.

The outcast is forced over and again into dealing with the fallout from the death of the old AI and finally becomes a soldier as a team assembles around him and insists that he help stop the insane from the cities. The people hate it but they are obeying because it's the only thing they know how to do.

Distraction event that makes the bad guy think the hero is on the wrong track; identify a pheromone associated with dominance and stun all persons to sleep who exude it with a billion microbots everywhere. Old AI tech the outcast reverse engineered.

Outcast walks in and tells the dazed people, 'there is a better way.'

The first government reformation of the modern era. A Constitution like ours but more voluntary. The outcast becomes a kind of king in a city of equals. They are the only awake city on the planet.

Sorry. When I think SCOTUS anymore, my thoughts are dominated by fiction. It's like my brain is trying to tell me they are fake.

CPUd
03-11-2015, 08:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/JGGemCs.jpg

Mach
03-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Here is the form letter for a dissent, there is the form letter for a warm agreement or a cold agreement. Please choose one to get started. Copy paste generated content, aand publish. There you go! thank you for servicing the machine. Your complaint has been recognized. Have a nice day.

They have turned our Supreme Court back into a joke again. Will the Supreme Court of the United States stop this NSA surveillance society? lol what a joke. In a few years justices will have an AI feeding them decisions they will just poke yea or nay at different parts and assemble it and publish. This will be a bad time. This already happens to a large extent, but when you take the humans out of it and leave justice to a machine, it will get dark I think. If, for no other reason, than vulnerability to some guy tinkering with the decision matrices trying to reshape society after his own image.

Just, no, I think AI based "decision-makers" are coming where the AI presents choices in a logical way to all the salient facts, providing the Judge with an array of options that they pick through like a menu and literally assemble a decision that can be immediately published through a document assembly app like Latex. I also believe this will create an undetected mechanical bias that will eventually work into a problem as AI's become more sophisticated and old matrices are formed into new, commercial variants. AI fidelity creating it's genesis on the backs of tomorrow's slaves.

Sorry. When I think SCOTUS anymore, my thoughts are dominated by fiction. It's like my brain is trying to tell me they are fake.

So, I'll put you down for the Red Pill..........