PDA

View Full Version : People are clueless

RPinSEAZ
12-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Last night here in Southern Arizona I went to a meeting of our county republican party and found that even the people involved in the republican party are pretty clueless of anything having to do with Ron Paul.

When we sat down there were Rudy handouts on every chair and a couple of Rudy stickers in the front window. I went with a couple of undercover Ron Paul supporters to see what the climate was like and to apply for Precinct Committeemen positions. At one point during the meeting I asked if it was kosher to favor one candidate over another for president and the chairwoman said that everyone gets equal time, so I pointed out that Rudy was the only one that had stickers in the window. If I had not been wanting to maintain my faithful party member cloak of invisibility I would have mentioned that Ron Paul has had material in the front office of the headquarters for over 3 weeks and there wasn't a single bumper sticker or sign for Ron Paul in the window.

The meeting was mostly about local politics, and how there are a couple of city council seats & county board of supervisors seats coming open. Anyways, after the meeting the Rudy supporter (the board treasurer) and one of the other Paul supporters were chatting about Ron Paul and the Ron Paul supporter was prodding him on what he knew about Ron Paul. I can't quote verbatim, but basically it went like this.

Ron Paul supporter (RPS): So you said you don't really like Ron Paul, why not?
Giuliani supporter (GS): He's not a conservative.
RPS: He's not?
GS: Well listen to him, he's just a jerk, the way he talks.
RPS: Really? How so?
GS: Well, he talks about how he's delivered like 8,000 babies or something. You know he keeps winning his elections down there in Texas because he funds his own campaigns.
RPS: So, he's rich and funds his own campaigns?
GS: Yeah, he's just such a jerk, and just listen to him. He's wrong on everything.

Well, all of us Ron Paul supporters were pretty flabbergasted by that exchange. I just thought I'd pass along our experiences with the local GOP. We don't take it as a bad thing, we just take it as that we have to work harder. The ignorance is shocking however.

FSP-Rebel
12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Dude, yall shoulda laid into that bastard. It's not like he brought up anything to challenge RP's conservative label. I wish I had some neo come at me with that shit...

RPinSEAZ
12-04-2007, 11:24 AM
While that would be nice, it would have accomplished nothing. It was obvious that the guy really just didn't have a clue and we will become firmly entrenched in the local party and convince them that Ron Paul is really the candidate that they're all looking for, they just don't know it yet.

JPFromTally
12-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Actually, I commend you for the way you asked questions. I'm in sales, and the first thing they teach you is that you have to make buying their idea. The only way you can do that is with questions.

I wish RP would retort to the "You know you can't win?" question with "Oh, really? What makes you say that?"

literatim
12-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Ron Paul supporters need to get positions within the local GOP.

Heather in WI
12-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Well, I've had a completely different reception within our local GOP group, so I highly recommend others to try!

They offered us a chance to speak at the huge Christmas party and hand out RP literature.

Mark
12-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Ron Paul supporters need to get positions within the local GOP.

Resistance is NOT futile. We will NOT be assimilated NEO-CON (artists)

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/%7Ericardo/misc/bush_borg.jpg

Daswiz
12-04-2007, 11:32 AM
The majority of Americans= stupid and(or) ignorant and (or) brainwashed.

If this was not the case, Ron would be a shoe in.

wgadget
12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
We have a GOP breakfast coming up this Saturday in "Republican stronghold" Cobb County. My idea is to forget the incognito stuff and just show up in big numbers with our Ron Paul shirts and sympathies. Why beat around the bush, especially when time is so precious. We need every minute to educate the masses, including the old GOP.

Besides, they know we're here after our little interruption of Rudy G's visit to Marietta last Sunday...LOL.

RPinSEAZ
12-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Well, I've had a completely different reception within our local GOP group, so I highly recommend others to try!

They offered us a chance to speak at the huge Christmas party and hand out RP literature.

I didn't mean to imply that they were hostile, it was just that one guy that was clueless. None of the rest (there were only 10 people total including us three Ron Paul supporters) expressed an opinion one way or the other for or against a candidate.

We have a meeting coming up in 2 weeks where we'll be exposing ourselves as his supporters with a brilliant and inspiring speech for Ron Paul.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-04-2007, 11:38 AM
I would have called him a moron to his face. Then proceed on asking "so, what is Ron Paul wrong on?"

then say.. "you now, Giuliani believes in tax payer funded abortions... is that what you support? is that conservative?"

Todd
12-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Reagan and Goldwater weren't cross dressing liberals to the best of my knowledge.

RPinSEAZ
12-04-2007, 11:47 AM
I would have called him a moron to his face. Then proceed on asking "so, what is Ron Paul wrong on?"

then say.. "you now, Giuliani believes in tax payer funded abortions... is that what you support? is that conservative?"

I wanted to, very badly. It would have only hurt us however. Some people take offense to being called a moron, especially those that are morons and don't know it.

It was obvious to me, that during the conversation he realized he knew nothing about Ron Paul, so I would say overall the exchange was a net gain. Perhaps last night he went home and Googled Ron Paul, you never know. He'll hear plenty about Ron Paul and will be seeing physical signs of support (we're going to absolutely plaster our small town with RP signs) soon.

JosephTheLibertarian
12-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Reagan and Goldwater weren't cross dressing liberals to the best of my knowledge.

Barry Goldwater was more "socially liberal" than LBJ. For one, he was pro choice. Reagan lost my respect after I read of him wasting so much on this dumb "war on drugs."

Talldude1412
12-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Barry Goldwater was more "socially liberal" than LBJ. For one, he was pro choice. Reagan lost my respect after I read of him wasting so much on this dumb "war on drugs."

The war on drugs was certainly ill conceived. I think he had the right intent, but it should have been gone about differently. Educating the masses, legalization, etc. That would have been a far more productive way of weakening the Drug cartels and gangs. Plus also reducing usage. (Maybe)

JosephTheLibertarian
12-04-2007, 12:00 PM
The war on drugs was certainly ill conceived. I think he had the right intent, but it should have been gone about differently. Educating the masses, legalization, etc. That would have been a far more productive way of weakening the Drug cartels and gangs. Plus also reducing usage. (Maybe)

but who is government to set a moral standard for anything?

transistor
12-04-2007, 12:08 PM
After the last debate, I can no longer call myself a republican