PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor Pushing Snow into Road

Unregistered
03-05-2015, 08:22 PM
I live on paved rural dead end road about a half mile off the county highway. I have a neighbor that lives between me and the county highway that uses a quad to push their snow into the street; the ENTIRE contents of their semi circle dirt drive way.

So each storm the plow truck comes through.... then the neighbor pushs their snow back out into the street, and an enormous amount of it; its 6" thick and covers about 150' of two lane road; packed hard. From one entrance of their driveway to the other. Its on an somewhat steep part of the road that several neighbors and myself have to cross through. The neighbor drives a big 4x4 truck with oversized "mud" tires; him and his buddies effectively packs this snow like an icepack. He makes zero attempt to push it to the side of the road and effectively is trying to spread it out over the road like a dozer.

It definately creates a hazard, makes my wheels spin on the way up the hill on the way home. I have to hit the hill with speed to get my rwd car home, which is far less than safe. Then there's delivery trucks... propane trucks, fuel oil trucks, school bus, neighbors with kids; wife that always wants me to drive her to the stop sign and walk home in the freezing cold because she's afraid to drive downhill over it all.

I've spoken with the guy and he's being a dickhead about it; he basically laughs at me; shy of telling me to fuck off, "I should get a 4x4, if I want to live out here", etc. Well I commute and that's not a practical option fuel wise.

Its definitely illegal to even push your snow out of your driveway and across the street here. However, "never call the cops" is a mantra I've picked up from lurking on RPF and I don't want to involve the government.

I'm not the only neighbor that's pissed. It has been this way all winter; several winters since they moved here; this year we've had well over 6' of snow through the season so its particularly bad.

Winters about over and I'm probably a bit cabin fevered, so part of me just wants to let it melt, but I'm really over it.

Long time reader, I respect you guys alot.

RPF, what to do?

Anti Federalist
03-05-2015, 08:56 PM
Get you and the rest of the neighbors to pay him a "less friendly" visit.

amy31416
03-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Shame him. Get yourself and your neighbors to send him cookies or something "thanking" him for making their trip home more dangerous.

"Hey (neighbor) we already have to deal with deer running out in the road, so we'd like to thank you for making it so much better by piling your snow in the road. It's very much unappreciated. Thanks!"

03-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Buy a plow truck and pile it all back up across the end of his driveway.

You really should have 4 wheel drive to live in a rural area in the winter anyway.

I'm not convinced this isn't a troll.

VIDEODROME
03-05-2015, 09:45 PM
The pissed neighbors could pool money together to pay a plow to clean up the shit instead of letting it sit there and become packed down.

amy31416
03-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Seems like a strange thing to troll about. I live out in the sticks, these things happen and you don't want to piss off your neighbors or involve the cops.

thoughtomator
03-05-2015, 10:02 PM
move south

Sola_Fide
03-05-2015, 10:20 PM
I live on paved rural dead end road about a half mile off the county highway. I have a neighbor that lives between me and the county highway that uses a quad to push their snow into the street; the ENTIRE contents of their semi circle dirt drive way.

So each storm the plow truck comes through.... then the neighbor pushs their snow back out into the street, and an enormous amount of it; its 6" thick and covers about 150' of two lane road; packed hard. From one entrance of their driveway to the other. Its on an somewhat steep part of the road that several neighbors and myself have to cross through. The neighbor drives a big 4x4 truck with oversized "mud" tires; him and his buddies effectively packs this snow like an icepack. He makes zero attempt to push it to the side of the road and effectively is trying to spread it out over the road like a dozer.

It definately creates a hazard, makes my wheels spin on the way up the hill on the way home. I have to hit the hill with speed to get my rwd car home, which is far less than safe. Then there's delivery trucks... propane trucks, fuel oil trucks, school bus, neighbors with kids; wife that always wants me to drive her to the stop sign and walk home in the freezing cold because she's afraid to drive downhill over it all.

I've spoken with the guy and he's being a dickhead about it; he basically laughs at me; shy of telling me to fuck off, "I should get a 4x4, if I want to live out here", etc. Well I commute and that's not a practical option fuel wise.

Its definitely illegal to even push your snow out of your driveway and across the street here. However, "never call the cops" is a mantra I've picked up from lurking on RPF and I don't want to involve the government.

I'm not the only neighbor that's pissed. It has been this way all winter; several winters since they moved here; this year we've had well over 6' of snow through the season so its particularly bad.

Winters about over and I'm probably a bit cabin fevered, so part of me just wants to let it melt, but I'm really over it.

Long time reader, I respect you guys alot.

RPF, what to do?

Call the cops and have him killed.

KCIndy
03-05-2015, 11:03 PM
I'm not convinced this isn't a troll.

Heh... I was thinking the opposite - it might be an already established RPF member posting anonymously due to the situation described. ;)

pcosmar
03-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Call the county road crew. You are already paying Taxes for it.

Tell them there is a pile of snow in the road,, and it is a hazard. They should come and clear it.
Do this every time he does it. They will take it from there. You don't have to say who is doing it,, it should be obvious to the driver.

Crashland
03-06-2015, 12:06 AM
Wait for spring. Shouldn't be too long now.

presence
03-06-2015, 01:12 AM
Seems like a legit reason to use neighbors quad tires for target practice.

puppetmaster
03-06-2015, 05:00 AM

Funny shit.

otherone
03-06-2015, 07:40 AM

Cut out the middleman and shoot his dog yourself.

Todd
03-06-2015, 07:44 AM
6" thick?

lol. I get more pissed at the State plows that push 6' of snow into my driveway.

kahless
03-06-2015, 10:37 AM
I had a neighbor do the same thing some times. He would shovel it onto the middle of the road and walk it across the street to dump it on the road in front of mine making a large pile that shortened the available area for parking. This was after I would clear the entire length of the road in front of the house so guests could park. I sometimes would have to clear the middle of the road because he would do this so it would not freeze since I would not want cars skidding into my yard or hitting one of our cars.

He was retired NYPD so that dick should have known better. I really hate to stereotype but oddly one culture in particular has gained a reputation in our community of always shoveling snow on the road and pissing people off. Perhaps something people were used to doing when they lived in NYC and carried it over when they moved up here.

sam1952
03-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Not that I don't believe you but doing that exactly as posted would mean the neighbor is deliberately inconveniencing the entire street. It's hard to believe someone is so inconsiderate.

As to solutions my first approach would be the shame him like someone suggested with cookies and a thank you note from the effected neighbors. Point out the elderly, children, mailman, school buses and emergency hazards.

Second a call to the street department from various neighbors asking the street be cleaned without noting the offender. I'm sure they will figure it out. This may involve the police indirectly.

Or pay to have it plowed to a safer place on the street. Maybe others will pitch in and he will get the message that way.

PS you can always escalate but all actions will have a reaction. Hey, even your action is a reaction to him. It's all in the level you choose.

Good luck

helmuth_hubener
03-06-2015, 11:22 AM
You cannot control anyone's actions but your own. Remember this, first and foremost.

Think of it from his perspective. He may be (for example) angry at the snow plow for plowing him in and is taking out his frustration. Arggh, stupid snow plow! If it would not take virtually any additional effort, perhaps he'd consider to just keep on pushing it an extra few feet to the other side of the street. Something to think about, maybe to put out there if you haven't already burned bridges (or to have a different neighbor run by him).

But remember: You cannot control anyone's actions but your own. Try, and you will regret it.

Schifference
03-06-2015, 11:25 AM

Tell them there is a pile of snow in the road,, and it is a hazard. They should come and clear it.
Do this every time he does it. They will take it from there. You don't have to say who is doing it,, it should be obvious to the driver.
^^ This^^ + Rep

thoughtomator
03-06-2015, 11:28 AM
seriously, move south

I think we got 2" of snow this winter, spread out over 3 or 4 slight dustings.

If you can get through mud, you're just fine anywhere.

Schifference
03-06-2015, 11:35 AM
WTF you have no problem with the neighbor. You pay taxes to have the road maintained. The city accepted that responsibility so make them accountable!

Anti Federalist
03-06-2015, 11:51 AM
seriously, move south

I love seeing this.

Yes, move south, the winters are brutal, awful, migrate, go, now!

Heh heh heh

Anti Federalist
03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
seriously, move south

I love seeing this.

Heh heh heh

donnay
03-06-2015, 11:57 AM
I love seeing this.

Heh heh heh

Stop being so selffish! :p

donnay
03-06-2015, 11:58 AM
You could have a neighbor like this:

Good Samaritan who shoveled snow from disabled woman's sidewalk is shocked when grumpy neighbor, 69, dumps the snow BACK on the walkway and 'assaults him'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2979309/Good-Samaritan-shoveled-snow-disabled-woman-s-sidewalk-shocked-grumpy-neighbor-69-dumps-snow-walkway-assaults-him.html#ixzz3Td67weQJ

Stratovarious
03-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Call the County , report Black Ice, you'll have Farakahn , Sharpton , and Obama down there tonight, with Obama saying "...this is what my son would have looked like..."

pcosmar
03-07-2015, 08:06 AM
You could have a neighbor like this:

Good Samaritan who shoveled snow from disabled woman's sidewalk is shocked when grumpy neighbor, 69, dumps the snow BACK on the walkway and 'assaults him'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2979309/Good-Samaritan-shoveled-snow-disabled-woman-s-sidewalk-shocked-grumpy-neighbor-69-dumps-snow-walkway-assaults-him.html#ixzz3Td67weQJ

Why I hate cities, ^^
I have had many asshole neighbors over the years.

And as much as I dislike taxes,, the road crews are one thing I do not mind paying for,, and would support voluntarily..
They do a good job up here,, and are actually beneficial,, unlike most of government "services".

Mr Tansill
03-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Yeah, do this, seriously. Will fix the problem - it'll take a while, but it'll fix the problem.

osan
03-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Get you and the rest of the neighbors to pay him a "less friendly" visit.

Nice.

That, or have one of your neighbors rat him out. :)

osan
03-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Shame him.

Yeah... like that's going to work with such a donk as this.

People like that more often understand nothing but force. By his own account, the OP has already tried diplomacy.

Time to escalate because if my neighbor did this and my wife ended up in a tree with her face in the windshield, the price I would flog from said neighbor's hide would earn my place in eternal damnation... again.

Seņor Pete has it right - call the county and report a serious road hazard and keep doing it every time. At some point the county will have words with the man and I have found that they can be quite unpleasant when sufficiently annoyed.

jmdrake
03-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Put a spike strip in front of his driveway? His 4x4 won't help him with that. Seriously though, the "never call the cops" mantra is if you actually care about the person you are calling the cops on and/or if you plan on sticking around. (Woman called the cops about an intruder and got shot by the police). In a situation like this, call the cops. Yeah it's costing you tax money in the long run and yeah it could all be handled better theoretically through the free market but right now that's kind of preempted.