PDA

View Full Version : What happens if no one gets majority at the National Convention?

nist7
12-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Seeing that Dr. Paul will pull in a surprising amount of voters not accounted for in all the national and "scientific" polls, it might be that delegate numbers could be split even at the national convention.

What if no one gets a clear majority of delegates at the national convention? (ie, delegates split even between 2 or 3 candidates)

I have read that if no one gets a >50% of the vote on the first voting, then they hold a second vote, whereby the delegates can basically vote for whomever they want, according to their "conscience." So Giuliani guys may vote for RP, and vice versa.
So here are my questions/concerns:

When does the second voting occur in relation to the first voting? On the same day? A day after? Can one group of delegates try to "wine and dine" the others?

Has this ever occured before?

What are Dr. Paul's chances IF this happens?

AlexMerced
12-04-2007, 11:03 AM
I think we're screwed if it comes to that

nist7
12-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I think we're screwed if it comes to that

That's what I'm thinking.

I know that >99.9% of Dr. Paul's delegates would never vote for any other guy.

Goldwater Conservative
12-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I think this is less likely than one might otherwise think considering most states are winner-take-all (at-large or by district) in the GOP primaries, which benefits whoever is the national frontrunner on Feb. 5.

Daveforliberty
12-04-2007, 11:10 AM
If Ron Paul makes a clear, convincing, moving speech about liberty and sound money in the midst of next year's depression, such a situation could give him the nomination.

Bradley in DC
12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
By the end of March or so, we will know the results for most of the states' delegate selection processes. At some point between April and September there would be a return of the "smoke-filled back rooms" where the campaigns would be negotiating with each other and with the "superdelegates" (Republican governors, senators party leaders, etc.).

Interestingly, during that time, the Libertarian Party, Constitution Party, Reform Party, Independence Party, etc., will be choosing their nominees. ;)

JordanL
12-04-2007, 11:17 AM
This would be why people have been so concerned with getting Ron Paul delegates at the convention.

AlexMerced
12-04-2007, 11:18 AM
A super hyped national address would be sweet and can accelerate things, although if we keep being aggressive as we hav ebeen, we should be ok

Starks
12-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Winner is determined through plurality.

noxagol
12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
He needs a majority or else everyone else will colude against him to give their delegates to other people. Only a majority is a solid victory, anythign less will most likely result in failure.

MozoVote
12-04-2007, 12:12 PM
If a candidate does not have a majority then the delegates will vote again and again until there is a majority. Study the nomination of Wilkie in 1940 if you want to see an example of how an "anti-establishment" candidate can slowly strip away support from the others and win.

I agree however, that the most likely outcome is the NeoCons would block RP and band together to nominate someone else.

Bradley in DC
12-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Winner is determined through plurality.

Please cite the governing authority for that statement. I believe it's wrong but am open to being persuaded.

Bradley in DC
12-04-2007, 12:43 PM
http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=18

RULE NO. 40
Nominations
(a) In making the nominations for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States and voting thereon, the roll of the states shall be called separately in each case; provided, however, that if there is only one candidate for nomination for Vice President of the United States who has demonstrated the support required by paragraph (b) of this rule, a motion to nominate for such office by acclamation shall be in order and no calling of the roll with respect to such office shall be required.

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination.

(c) The total time of the nominating speech and seconding speeches for any candidate for nomination for President of the United States or Vice President of the United States shall not exceed fifteen (15) minutes.

(d) When at the close of a roll call any candidate for nomination for President of the United States or Vice President of the United States has received a majority of the votes entitled to be cast in the convention, the chairman of the convention shall declare that the candidate has been nominated.

(e) If no candidate shall have received such majority, the chairman of the convention shall direct the roll of the states be called again and shall repeat the calling of the roll until a candidate shall have received a majority of the votes entitled to be cast in the convention.

(f) For the 2004 Republican National Convention, notwithstanding any other provision of these rules or any Rule of the House of Representatives, it shall be in the discretion of the Chair to suspend the roll call conducted to nominate the candidate for President of the United States at any time in order to conduct other Convention business under the established order of business.