PDA

View Full Version : Yellen Says Fed Seeks to Avert ‘Capture’ by Banks It Oversees

NACBA
03-04-2015, 05:57 AM
(Bloomberg) -- Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen, countering criticism from members of Congress, said the central bank is trying to avoid being too cozy with the Wall Street firms it supervises and wants to ensure that regulators aren’t afraid to confront the financial industry.

“The risk of regulatory capture is something the Federal Reserve takes very seriously and works very hard to prevent,” Yellen said in remarks prepared for a speech in New York on Tuesday night. “It is important that anyone serving the Fed feel safe speaking up when they have concerns about bias toward industry, and that those concerns be addressed.”

http://media.gotraffic.net/images/iiktTxZ4.Vxc/v6/1200x-1.jpg

The Fed has been criticized by Democratic lawmakers, including Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, who say it’s deferential to large banks. The issue was the subject of a Senate hearing in November following allegations by Carmen Segarra, a former examiner at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, who said her colleagues had been too soft on Goldman Sachs Group Inc.

At the hearing, Warren told New York Fed President William C. Dudley that he needs to fix a “cultural problem” or “we need to get someone who will.”

The Fed has also come under fire from Republicans, including Richard Shelby of Alabama, the Senate Banking Committee chairman, who called for more Fed transparency and greater congressional oversight at a hearing Tuesday.

Yellen, in her speech to the Citizens Budget Commission, also took aim at ethical lapses at large banks supervised by the Fed.
Follow the Law

“We expect the firms we oversee to follow the law and to operate in an ethical manner,” she said. “Too often in recent years, bankers at large institutions have not done so, sometimes brazenly.”

Such incidents “raise legitimate questions of whether there may be pervasive shortcomings in the values of large financial firms that might undermine their safety and soundness,” she said.

Global regulators, including the Fed, are trying to tighten oversight of financial benchmarks that are used to price everything from student loans to mortgages, oil and currencies.

The world’s largest banks have paid billions of dollars to settle allegations of rigging Libor and other interest rates. Six firms, including Citigroup Inc. and UBS Group AG, paid $4.3 billion in November to settle probes into the manipulation of foreign-exchange rates.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-04/yellen-says-fed-seeks-to-avert-capture-by-banks-it-oversees

Ronin Truth
03-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Just create you some more BS monopoly funny money and then buy those banks you feel threatened by.

AuH20
03-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Now they are worried about regulatory capture? Really?

Ronin Truth
03-04-2015, 02:03 PM
There are valid reasons that they are often referred to as banksters.

"The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks." -- Lord Acton

randomname
03-04-2015, 02:44 PM
bit too late for that now, as far as regulatory capture goes they are way past the point of no return...

UWDude
03-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Now they are worried about regulatory capture? Really?

Of course not.
They are worried too many people have woken up to what it is, (although still a very small percentage) and are reaching that critical mass where it will spread to the masses.

So now they are going to use the best of their forked silver tongues to tell us they care.

There are valid reasons that they are often referred to as banksters.

"The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks." -- Lord Acton

There are reasons People secretly and openly loved Bonnie and Clyde.

thoughtomator
03-04-2015, 03:40 PM
The Fed can't be "captured" by its own shareholders. They already own it.

osan
03-04-2015, 03:49 PM
OK, what am I missing here? Is the Federal Reserve Bank of the United States, Inc. not owned by member banks?

Unless I am mistaken on that point, is the Fed not overseeing those banks which own it? If not, then why are those banks exempt from oversight?

Am I getting old and funny... or have I always been this apparently stupid? I can no longer tell.

acptulsa
03-05-2015, 07:19 AM
I can't believe I got in before Z2.0 showed up to tell us how being one of less than a dozen shareholders in the Fed gives these banks no ability to determine what it does, and how the oversight comes from presidential appointees and, say, Chase and Bank of America never bough--er, I mean gained sway over a president in their corporate existences.

Brian4Liberty
03-05-2015, 01:48 PM
"Yellen Says Fed Seeks to Avert ‘Capture’ by Banks It Oversees"

Does she hide under the desk when they come in to tell her what to do?

Zippyjuan
03-05-2015, 02:13 PM
OK, what am I missing here? Is the Federal Reserve Bank of the United States, Inc. not owned by member banks?

Unless I am mistaken on that point, is the Fed not overseeing those banks which own it? If not, then why are those banks exempt from oversight?

Am I getting old and funny... or have I always been this apparently stupid? I can no longer tell.

How Fed membership works: If you want to become a member of the Federal Reserve Banking system and have access to their services, your bank must put up ten percent of your total assets. If you are worth $10 billion, that means you have to give them $1 billion. In exchange you are given "shares". But these are not the same as stock shares in a company. You are not allowed to buy or sell them. They come with no rights like voting rights on issues- no voice in how things are run. They include no "ownership" of any part of the Fed. They are just a membership fee. You do get an annual dividend on that amount equal to six percent of your "contribution". In this case, $60 million.

Ronin Truth
03-05-2015, 03:51 PM

If you dig deep enough into the Fed, you'll turn up the Rothschilds. ;)