PDA

View Full Version : Foster Friess: 'Rand Paul is one of my heroes'

randomname
03-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Foster Friess is dismissing suggestions that he doesn't see eye-to-eye with Sen. Rand Paul on U.S. foreign policy.

In an email to the Washington Examiner, the Republican super donor and conservative activist said that he and the Kentucky Republican, a top presidential contender, have minor differences of opinion regarding how to help Iraqi Kurds defend against attacks from the Islamic State. The Examiner previously reported on an obtained email correspondence between Friess and Paul (and copied to other Senate offices by Friess) in which he appeared to criticize the senator for not being hawkish enough in supporting U.S. aid to the Kurds.

The Fight Against Fraud

PROMOTED BY INTUIT

The email exchange occurred after Friess and Paul, who has libertarian leanings and has been described as a "non-interventionist" on foreign policy, dined together in the Senate dining room.

But Friess said the story mischaracterized his view of Paul's position and that the two are "joined at the hip" on this issue. Friess' email to the Examiner, received over the weekend, is published at his request in this latest story, with minor edits for length and clarity."Rand Paul is one of my heroes. He loves and champions the same things I do — The Constitution, a more efficient and less intrusive government, and life, itself. It's a mischaracterization to say I 'hit him on National Security.' He is for defeating ISIS and arming the Kurds," Friess said.

Friess is backing former Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., in the 2016 GOP primary; the wealthy investor also backed Santorum in 2012. Santorum, a traditional GOP hawk, advocated for deploying 10,000 U.S. ground forces to combat the Islamic State during his speech last week to the annual winter gathering of the Conservative Political Action Conference.

Friess' full email follows below:

Rand and I are joined at the hip in our passion for "Arming the Kurds." In fact, you point this out yourself by highlighting his idea of scooping up all the armored personnel carriers scattered in dangerous locales, like Fargo North Dakota, and shipping them all to the Kurds.

Rand Paul is one of my heroes. He loves and champions the same things I do—The Constitution, a more efficient and less intrusive government, and life, itself. It's a mischaracterization to say I "hit him on National Security." He is for defeating ISIS and arming the Kurds.

To equip the Kurds with what they need to protect themselves fulfills Rand's desire that forces in the region wage war, not Americans. This is a very popular position held by many Americans. It perplexes me why more of our leaders do not promote the idea that the Kurds are our boots on the ground and deserve our unlimited support as Rand does.

Did you see the CNN report of the Kurd firing an artillery piece manufactured in 1941? When he runs out of his remaining 25 shells he needs to get additional ones from Pakistan, the only place they are still made. It's criminal how we are treating the Kurds,,,,The one true friend in the region we can count on for the long term.

Others in the region are barely engaged. While the Kurds are face to face with death everyday, the Saudis instead, are building a wall. Our hearts should be broken by what breaks God's heart.

I know Rand well enough to know he is deeply saddened by casualties the Kurds are taking on our behalf and also by the recent news of the beheadings of 21 Coptic Christians in Libya. Rand is a good man and a National Treasure for his boldness in promoting what is good for America and what makes our nation exceptional.

Where we disagreed, was my eagerness to send volunteer nurses and doctors and others that I, after the luncheon, listed in more detail. All of who would be well protected by American personnel—Personnel acting only in a defensive, non-offensive role. The Kurds do not possess adequate capacity to treat their wounded.

Publishing my private email to Rand, simply because you considered it a public document, which I assume was based on the fact I had copied a number of other interested parties, was wrong. You should have asked permission. But, hey, that's why Jesus invented forgiveness, so I forgive you (and also for misspelling my name) (<:).

My heart and prayers go out to all the journalists, particularly those of MSNBC, who in their retirement years will reflect back on the fact they made their livelihood denigrating others, tearing people down and spewing negativity. Don't fall into that camp, David. I sense you are a fine young man.

Set an example for others in your profession, where in this case you could have reported how Rand and I, working together, would get our fellow Americans to realize the danger of the ideology that has declared war upon us and our friends all around the world….Yemen, Paris, Copenhagen…. and how his and my interest in arming the Kurds was a constructive way to enjoy the Senate Dining Room…. And, yea, the bean soup was great!

2COMMENTS

AUTHOR:
DAVID M. DRUCKER
Senior Congressional Correspondent

PROMOTED STORIES
U-M Department Chair: 'It's Okay to Hate Republicans'
U-M Department Chair: 'It's Okay to Hate Republicans'
(Michigan Capitol Confidential)
United States citizens living abroad are required to file annual U.S. income tax?
United States citizens living abroad are required to file annual U.S…
(GROCO CPAs & Advisors)
The Birth of an 'Odious' Law
The Birth of an 'Odious' Law
(OZY)
Why Barack Obama hates New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd
Why Barack Obama hates New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd
(IrishCentral)
USA Taking Money From Its New Citizens
USA Taking Money From Its New Citizens
(GROCO CPAs & Advisors)
The 5 Biggest Spenders in the 2014 Election
The 5 Biggest Spenders in the 2014 Election
(OZY)
Recommended by
MORE STORIES
GOP hopefuls understand the limits of 'centrism'
BY WASHINGTON EXAMINER | 03/02/15 8:07 PM

Carly's way
BY NOEMIE EMERY | 03/03/15 6:03 AM

Carly Fiorina could be a Clinton-cutter
BY DAVID M. DRUCKER | 03/02/15 9:49 PM

Rick Santorum hopes this time isn't different
BY REBECCA BERG | 03/02/15 9:54 PM

Old vs. new the fundamental fight in 2016 GOP race
BY BYRON YORK | 03/02/15 8:42 PM

WEX TV
WH: Ammo ban proposal is 'common sense' step
WH: Ammo ban proposal is 'common sense' step
WH slams GOP leadership over Homeland Security funding
WH slams GOP leadership over Homeland Security funding
Iran nuclear enrichment: Before and after
Iran nuclear enrichment: Before and after
Netayahu: Israel is a 'bipartisan issue'
Netayahu: Israel is a 'bipartisan issue'

POLITICS
POLICY
OPINION
WATCHDOG
DATA
MULTIMEDIA
ABOUT US
CONTACT US

Copyright 2015 Washington Examiner

AuH20
03-03-2015, 08:31 AM
So politico as usual was twisting the truth?

Sola_Fide
03-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Rand and I are joined at the hip in our passion for "Arming the Kurds."

If that's what connects you to Rand...

LawnWake
03-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Well since I am not American, I don't really know who this guy is. But apparently he's of importance and relevance to the Christian right? If so, that's amazing support for Rand to have.

whoisjohngalt
03-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Well since I am not American, I don't really know who this guy is. But apparently he's of importance and relevance to the Christian right? If so, that's amazing support for Rand to have.

I'm American and I think I can speak for all Americans in saying we don't really know who this guy is either.