PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Nebraska delegate

MadOdorMachine
12-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm a delagate to Sarpy county. I will be checking this page daily, so if anyone becomes a delegate or is interested in becoming a delegate, please either start a new thread or reply to this one and I'll get back to you. I live in Sarpy county.

Bradley in DC
12-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm a delagate to Sarpy county. I will be checking this page daily, so if anyone becomes a delegate or is interested in becoming a delegate, please either start a new thread or reply to this one and I'll get back to you. I live in Sarpy county.

Thanks. When you say you're a "delegate," I'm not sure exactly what you mean (and therefore can't answer your question): are you a Ron Paul "delegate candidate" to the Republican national nominating convention or a delegate to your state party's process?

Bradley in DC
12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
My suggestion is that you take the lead for Nebraska:

Copy the information in the other thread I posted in this section and email it to you state party's legal counsel. Ask them to update it for this election cycle. Remind them of RNC rule 14(a) (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16):

RULE NO. 14
Participation
(a) The Republican National Committee shall assist the states in their efforts to inform all citizens as to how they may participate in delegate selection procedures. The states, in cooperation with the Republican National Committee, shall prepare instructive material on delegate selection methods and make it available for distribution.

MadOdorMachine
12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
My suggestion is that you take the lead for Nebraska:

Copy the information in the other thread I posted in this section and email it to you state party's legal counsel. Ask them to update it for this election cycle. Remind them of RNC rule 14(a) (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16):

RULE NO. 14
Participation
(a) The Republican National Committee shall assist the states in their efforts to inform all citizens as to how they may participate in delegate selection procedures. The states, in cooperation with the Republican National Committee, shall prepare instructive material on delegate selection methods and make it available for distribution.

I know the process. I don't know the role. That's what I'm trying to figure out. What is the role of a delegate? From what I understood, the role of a delegate is to report to the state the candidate that recieved the most votes in your county which is divided up in districts. Other people are saying that it doesn't matter who won the popular vote, you can report to the state that Ron Paul won - essentially lie about it which I won't do. I'm looking for a general explanation of what the role of a delegate is, not the procedure is.

MadOdorMachine
12-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I called my local election office for clarification and I was told that the role of delegates in the state of Nebraska is to have the opportunity to vote on issues and for people to represent them. It has nothing to do with the primaries or Ron Paul. Delegates have absolutely no role in that in my state.

I called Ron Paul's campaign as was told that delegates from the state could be elected nationally to endorse Ron Paul from your state. I was unable to verify what impact this had on his nomination, but ideally a nomination is determined by the primary elections.

I hope this helps. If someone has anymore information to add or detract from what I have stated, please let me know.

son of liberty
12-19-2007, 10:07 AM
test

nc4rp
12-21-2007, 05:30 AM
did you ever get to check this site yet? http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/NE-R.phtml

it appears you have an "Advisory Primary" type -

"In a small number of states where the delegates are actually chosen through the old-fashioned CAUCUS/CONVENTION, a non-binding presidential preference primary is held which has come to be known derisively as the "beauty contest" because of its lack of effect upon the makeup of the state's National Convention delegation. "

After learning North Carolina's Rules, i cant bear to try and figure out another state, but this should help some.

If I was you id register as a delegate anyway, in case they are withholding info from people asking around about delegates....

d03boy
01-18-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm from Nebraska but I am at school in wisconsin

forsmant
02-19-2008, 08:59 PM
I filed for delegate in Douglas county today.

The county delegates are voted on at the county convention. The county conventions also vote on county leadership, delegates to the state convention.

The state convention votes on a platform, state leadership, presidential electors, at large delegates, and RNC delegates. The national delegates will be elected by the congressional districts delegates. You must apply in person or by mail no later than 10 days after the state primary in order to be eligible for national delegate or at large delegate.

All delegates can register their individual vote and are not bound by the party rules to vote as a unit.

All the rules are located here: http://www.negop.org/constitution.asp

enjerth
02-28-2008, 03:25 PM
I filed to be a delegate on Hall county today.

Flirple
03-02-2008, 09:50 PM
There was a Nebraska conference call with the Ron Paul campaign the other night. They discussed and took questions about becoming delegates and the process of going to the county and state conventions etc. Go here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ronpaul2008 and click on the "Ron Paul Nebraska" link to listen to it. Ron Paul himself makes a statement at the beginning of it although he doesn't stick around to take questions directly.