PDA

View Full Version : Obamacare? How did it ever get out of Committee?

AuH20
02-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Just some midday musings that have raised my stress levels...

Why wasn't it killed then? Why did the Republicans feign ignorance when they could have killed it then and there (obviously we know the answer)? Why did Olympia Snowe screw us so hard (remember the Scorpion and the Frog) as the deciding vote?

ZENemy
02-26-2015, 01:50 PM
here is the answer to your question

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/United_States_one_dollar_bill,_obverse.jpg

KCIndy
02-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Don't forget the fact that it essentially ran backward through the process, with legislation being written in the Senate after it originally failed in the House. That should have made it unconstitutional right there. Not to mention some really shady last minute vote switching.

And I will *never* forget how Chief Justice Roberts screwed us by taking a dive and ruling in favor of something patently unconstitutional.

If I were conspiracy minded, I would start wondering how many family members of how many Washington big shots were being threatened by..... someone.

AuH20
02-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Don't forget the fact that it essentially ran backward through the process, with legislation being written in the Senate after it originally failed in the House. That should have made it unconstitutional right there. Not to mention some really shady last minute vote switching.

And I will *never* forget how Chief Justice Roberts screwed us by taking a dive and ruling in favor of something patently unconstitutional.

If I were conspiracy minded, I would start wondering how many family members of how many Washington big shots were being threatened by..... someone.

I have a feeling that we're going to get the same screwjob with King V. Burwell.

KCIndy
02-26-2015, 03:59 PM
I have a feeling that we're going to get the same screwjob with King V. Burwell.

I would be willing to bet good money that we're going to get screwed, and screwed hard.

I don't know if you've seen this article or not - it just came out yesterday - but when I read it, my sinking feeling turned into a plummeting feeling:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2015/02/25/yates-decision-on-missing-fish-may-tip-roberts-hand-on-king-v-burwell/

Did Justice Roberts Just Tip His Hand On Key Obamacare Ruling?
The U.S. Supreme Court’s decision today in a case involving the illegal disposal of 72 undersized red grouper may predict how it will rule on the pending King vs. Burwell challenge to Obamacare health insurance subsidies....

-big snip and cut to important summary-

.....with Roberts all in on context and statutory interpretation and Kennedy seemingly also signing off on the idea, the odds in Burwell may have shifted in favor of the government.

Anyone counting on King v. Burwell as the panacea for Obamacare better have a few good stiff drinks at the ready. Drinks, and maybe a tube of KY jelly. :mad:

AuH20
02-26-2015, 04:05 PM
I would be willing to bet good money that we're going to get screwed, and screwed hard.

I don't know if you've seen this article or not - it just came out yesterday - but when I read it, my sinking feeling turned into a plummeting feeling:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2015/02/25/yates-decision-on-missing-fish-may-tip-roberts-hand-on-king-v-burwell/

Anyone counting on King v. Burwell as the panacea for Obamacare better have a few good stiff drinks at the ready. Drinks, and maybe a tube of KY jelly. :mad:

My theory was that Kagan was leaking information on Roberts' decision and then the intelligence agencies came into play.....which resulted in a nearly complete 180 degree departure from his original position.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/07/inside-sources-say-chief-justice-roberts-compromised/

Chief Justice John Roberts initially sided with the Supreme Court’s four conservative justices to strike down the heart of President Obama’s health care reform law, the Affordable Care Act, but later changed his position and formed an alliance with liberals to uphold the bulk of the law, according to two sources with specific knowledge of the deliberations.

Roberts then withstood a month-long, desperate campaign to bring him back to his original position, the sources said. Ironically, Justice Anthony Kennedy – believed by many conservatives to be the justice most likely to defect and vote for the law – led the effort to try to bring Roberts back to the fold.

“He was relentless,” one source said of Kennedy’s efforts. “He was very engaged in this.”

But this time, Roberts held firm. And so the conservatives handed him their own message which, as one justice put it, essentially translated into, “You’re on your own.”

The conservatives refused to join any aspect of his opinion, including sections with which they agreed, such as his analysis imposing limits on Congress’ power under the Commerce Clause, the sources said.

Instead, the four joined forces and crafted a highly unusual, unsignedjoint dissent. They deliberately ignored Roberts’ decision, the sources said, as if they were no longer even willing to engage with him in debate.

The inner-workings of the Supreme Court are almost impossible to penetrate. The Court’s private conferences, when the justices discuss cases and cast their initial votes, include only the nine members – no law clerks or secretaries are permitted. The justices are notoriously close-lipped, and their law clerks must agree to keep matters completely confidential.

But in this closely-watched case, word of Roberts’ unusual shift has spread widely within the Court, and is known among law clerks, chambers’ aides and secretaries. It also has stirred the ire of the conservative justices, who believed Roberts was standing with them.

After the historic oral arguments in March, the two knowledgeable sources said, Roberts and the four conservatives were poised to strike down at least the individual mandate. There were other issues being argued – severability and the Medicaid extension – but the mandate was the ballgame.

AuH20
02-26-2015, 04:09 PM
edit

Ronin Truth
02-26-2015, 04:12 PM
In a word, Democrats.

Pericles
02-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Just some midday musings that have raised my stress levels...

Why wasn't it killed then? Why did the Republicans feign ignorance when they could have killed it then and there (obviously we know the answer)? Why did Olympia Snowe screw us so hard (remember the Scorpion and the Frog) as the deciding vote?
They voted for it in order to find out what was in it, of course.