PDA

View Full Version : "dont tase me bro" now an AD!

jaybone
12-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I heard a radio advertisement on New Jersey 101.5 radio this morning for http://news.aol.com/

The ad featured audio of the poor student being assaulted by campus police.
I find the use of this audio repugnant and I told them so in an email.
Sure, out of context it is a funny line, but this man was practicing non-violent civil disobedience and was brutally assaulted for it. Our founders would be pissed and so should we.

I emailed aol about it, and also www.nj1015.com

It's a matter or principle, sensationalizing police brutality for profit just stinks.

Dustancostine
12-04-2007, 09:23 AM
What was the commercial promoting?

jaybone
12-04-2007, 09:42 AM
I think it was for one of those year end wrap up shows, where they take all the nonsense pop-culture news and package it.
To tell you the truth as soon as I head that poor mans voice I was pissed off about it and did not catch the particulars.

asgardshill
12-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I heard a radio advertisement on New Jersey 101.5 radio this morning for http://news.aol.com/

The ad featured audio of the poor student being assaulted by campus police.
I find the use of this audio repugnant and I told them so in an email.
Sure, out of context it is a funny line, but this man was practicing non-violent civil disobedience and was brutally assaulted for it.

Nonsense. Meyer (the ass student in question) was line-jumping in front of people who were patiently waiting for a microphone at the event, acting like an ass, resisting lawful arrest, and got what was coming to him.

(Actually, I must correct myself - what Meyer deserved and didn't get was a "wood shampoo". But the tasing was infinitely more entertaining.)

Meyer himself issued a highly public apology for his "failure to act calmly", stating that he "stepped out of line" and that his arresting officers "did nothing wrong".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida_Taser_incident

Fightin' with the police will get ya tased every time.

jaybone
12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Nonsense. Meyer (the ass student in question) was line-jumping in front of people who were patiently waiting for a microphone at the event, acting like an ass, resisting lawful arrest, and got what was coming to him.

(Actually, I must correct myself - what Meyer deserved and didn't get was a "wood shampoo". But the tasing was infinitely more entertaining.)

Meyer himself issued a highly public apology for his "failure to act calmly", stating that he "stepped out of line" and that his arresting officers "did nothing wrong".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida_Taser_incident

Fightin' with the police will get ya tased every time.

I disagree.
Bad behavior, as long as it is not physically violent, is not grounds for assault.
If they were to cuff him and take him away that would be OK, taser is over the top. A taser is not non-lethal, just less-lethal.
I'm surprised to find someone so willing to accept police violence in this place.

asgardshill
12-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I disagree.
Bad behavior, as long as it is not physically violent, is not grounds for assault.

I'll remember that the next time a deranged Mitt Romney or Rudy Guiliani supporter kicks down your front door and harangues you with a bullhorn turned up to full blast in your bed at 3 AM. Free speech does not impose an equal obligation to listen on the recipient.

If they were to cuff him and take him away that would be OK

They tried that - he physically fought them. What would you have done - shook your finger at him and said, "Now now, come along" for 3 hours? The people attending this event came to hear John Kerry, not some full-of-himself loudmouthed jerk.

taser is over the top. A taser is not non-lethal, just less-lethal.

It beats the alternatives - 40 cops making a polyester pile out of the guy or a 9MM slug through the heart. Don't act like an ass in public and/or fight with the police and ya won't get tased - its really as simple as that.

I'm surprised to find someone so willing to accept police violence in this place.

When "police violence" is necessary to protect others and/or the recipient had it coming like Meyer did, then I am all for it.

jaybone
12-04-2007, 01:46 PM
wow, you MUST be a troll,
anyway have a nice life

asgardshill
12-04-2007, 01:49 PM
wow, you MUST be a troll,
anyway have a nice life

I'm not, and I always do. But I accept your surrender on this issue.

Good day.

jaybone
12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
no surrender, I just have more constructive things to do with my life than argue with somebody who clearly does not understand the rule of law