PDA

View Full Version : Magna Carta Documentary Kickstarter: Our Shared Legacy of Liberty

Bryan
02-19-2015, 09:24 PM
From the kickstarter page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robson-pellerin/magna-carta-our-shared-legacy-of-liberty

We tell the story of Magna Carta, foundation of our rights: freedom’s unlikely origins, remarkable triumphs and modern challenges.

Magna Carta: Our Shared Legacy of Liberty

From the time Magna Carta was sealed in 1215, it has been the foundation of liberty, the touchstone of those who believe citizens control their government not the other way around.

Down through the centuries, its guarantees have been included in the laws and constitutional order of the English-speaking world. Defended when challenged, refined as needed, appealed to again and again, they have protected freedom for nearly a thousand years.

It’s a remarkable story, from its origins in the beleaguered Wessex of the Dark Ages through the rise of Parliament, the English and American revolutions, the granting of self-government to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and later India and the rest of the British Empire. These freedoms have been defended in Parliament, in war and in public debate. But we cannot take them for granted.

If we do not know the story, if we do not cherish these rights, understand them and defend them, if we do not make the story our own, Magna Carta could fade into the pages of history....

Continued with video at link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robson-pellerin/magna-carta-our-shared-legacy-of-liberty

www.magnacartadocumentary.com

Bastiat's The Law
02-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Seems promising. Americans don't know history.

Suzanimal
02-19-2015, 09:51 PM
A bit off topic...

Magna Carta found in scrapbook may be worth millions

(CNN)Just days after four Magna Cartas were united for the first time in 800 years at the British Library in London, another ancient version of the document has been discovered by chance in a medieval coastal town in England.

Mark Bateson, an archivist in Sandwich, southern England, found the previously unknown version of the Magna Carta -- which established the principle that everybody, including the king, was subject to the law -- after historian Nicholas Vincent had asked him to look for a separate document dealing with a local forest that he was researching.

After rummaging through a scrapbook of council archives, Bateson found the Forest Charter, a document issued by King Henry III in 1217, as well as a tattered page that he thought looked like the Magna Carta.

"He wasn't really aware of the fact that they were either rare or that this one was indeed what it purported to be. I think, from his point of view, it was all a bit of a shock," said Vincent, professor of medieval history at the University of East Anglia.

But he says there is no doubt that this is a version of the Magna Carta, or "The Great Charter," that was published in 1300 under the reign of King Edward I. The original document was issued by England's King John in 1215.

The document is badly damaged, with a third of its text and the royal seal of Edward I missing and the back of it firmly stuck down. But despite its deformities, Vincent said it could fetch millions. "It [the damage] probably would interfere with the value of it if someone were foolish enough to sell it," he said. "But I think there's no question of that.

"This one is in nothing like the condition of the one that went for sale in New York [in 2007, for $21.3 million] but I would say it's certainly worth in the millions rather than in the tens and hundreds of thousands. And as a pair, they are all the more desirable."

And other discoveries have been made as well.

"The fact that they [Magna Carta and Forest Charter] are both there in Sandwich is particularly interesting because there is no royal forest in Kent. That really tells us something that we really didn't know before about the way that the document was published," Vincent said.

"And given that this is the most important document in English history, people make such a fuss about it, to find out anything new about it is rather exciting."

This is a hugely significant gain for Sandwich. "Through the American Declaration of Independence, continuing in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Magna Carta still underpins individual liberties worldwide," said the town's mayor, Paul Graeme. To own such a document, and the Charter of the Forest, is an honor and a great responsibility."

"What matters is Sandwich now becomes one of a very small number of institutions -- there are only about a dozen -- that own a Magna Carta," said Vincent.

"There are lots and lots of institutions across the Atlantic and elsewhere in the world that would love to have this document."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/09/europe/magna-carta-kent/

ChristianAnarchist
02-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Watched the video and I'm not impressed. First thing the guy says is that it's because of magna carta that we have our rights... Sorry, wrong premise. Our rights were always there, the magna carta's purpose (I believe) was to prevent the goons from VIOLATING those rights. Of course no document can do this but it does represent the first attempt that I know of to do so. It's a great idea (restricting goons so they don't violate rights) and if promoted properly to enough people it WILL happen simply because "the people" will not allow the goons to violate them since there are simply more of "us" than there are of "them"...

Natural Citizen
02-19-2015, 10:27 PM
A bit off topic...

Magna Carta found in scrapbook may be worth millions

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/09/europe/magna-carta-kent/

There are all sorts of neat things out there floating around. Old family Bibles from the original colonists are truly historical treasures. They kind of served a two fold purpose. One as a Bible and the other as a record of sorts. Can usually find some really neat things tucked into them.

Natural Citizen
02-19-2015, 11:54 PM
I feel like I want to watch National Treasure again. That was a great movie. And you know that in fiction there is always a hint of truth. Heh.

Ronin Truth
02-20-2015, 07:09 AM
The bandit barons made out like ......... well bandits, as usual.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=magna+charta+barons&gbv=2&oq=MAgna+Char&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.5.5j0l3j0i10j0l5.67838438.67842047.0.67848797 .10.5.0.0.0.0.969.3016.4-1j1j2.4.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..6.4.3016.lqVHsQQoTY8

Ronin Truth
02-20-2015, 07:14 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ironclad+magna+carta+movie&hl=en&gbv=2&oq=&gs_l=

Acala
02-20-2015, 02:53 PM
When my son and I went to DC for Ron Paul's march on the Capital, we stopped in at the National Archive. They had one of the original Magna Cartas there on display. I was very impressed.

Southron
02-20-2015, 07:26 PM
It looks interesting. I think the further we get away from our British founding, the more important it will be to understand their contributions to our Constitution and foundation of law. All cultures and philosophies are not equal.

Christopher A. Brown
04-09-2015, 11:18 PM
The environment which the Magna Carta comes from is quite a bit different than what written history carries. This over the entrance to the Hellfire Cave needs explaining.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2183/3529716432_945c3e7258.jpg

Sola_Fide
04-09-2015, 11:21 PM
The Puritans and all of the early Calvinist settlers drew upon the Magna Carta.

osan
04-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Watched it - historical account was acceptable, but the editorial content at the end was terribly full of holes. At the end, they praise the UN Declaration of Human Rights, which I have summarily demolished, beginning here (http://freedomisobvious.blogspot.com/2013/12/un-declaration-of-human-rights-preamble.html).

I cannot tell from the content whether the creators are on an agenda of which we would tend to be disapprove, or they are just not that well clued-in to the basics of proper human liberty.

Christopher A. Brown
04-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Watched it - historical account was acceptable, but the editorial content at the end was terribly full of holes. At the end, they praise the UN Declaration of Human Rights, which I have summarily demolished, beginning here (http://freedomisobvious.blogspot.com/2013/12/un-declaration-of-human-rights-preamble.html).

I cannot tell from the content whether the creators are on an agenda of which we would tend to be disapprove, or they are just not that well clued-in to the basics of proper human liberty.

I'd vote the agenda not approved.

Experience tells me that a large percentage of what is easy to find in history is erroneous and misrepresented to further an agenda of tyranny.

As long as the history of the MC insists upon portraying only the king and barons, while not providing very good reason for those tyrannical despots to give rights to commoners; and at the same time the only popular account of the peoples is a character like Robin Hood; I cry foul!