PDA

View Full Version : Colorado residents are first to ask feds to block legal pot

aGameOfThrones
02-19-2015, 02:38 PM
DENVER (AP) -- Colorado already is being sued by two neighboring states for legalizing marijuana. Now, the state faces groundbreaking lawsuits from its own residents, who are asking a federal judge to order the new recreational industry to close.

The owners of a mountain hotel and a southern Colorado horse farm argue in a pair of lawsuits filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Denver that the 2012 marijuana-legalization measure has hurt their property and that the marijuana industry is stinky and attracts unsavory visitors.

The lawsuits are the first in any state that has legalized recreational or medical marijuana in which its own residents are appealing to the federal government to block pot laws.

"It is a bedrock principle of the United States Constitution that federal law is the supreme law of the land," said David Thompson, a lawyer representing the plaintiffs. "The people of Colorado are free to advocate for a change (in federal drug law), but they must do so through their elected representatives in Congress."

The lawsuits are also the first to claim that federal racketeering laws allow them to win damages from pot businesses that flout federal law. The plaintiffs have not specified amounts they would seek.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/colorado-residents-first-ask-feds-175857784.html

Warlord
02-19-2015, 02:41 PM
10th amendment. that guy has a poor understanding of the constitution

ZENemy
02-19-2015, 02:44 PM
"The people of Colorado are free to advocate for a change (in federal drug law), but they must do so through their elected representatives in Congress."

I think I loled at that so hard that I pulled a muscle.

presence
02-19-2015, 03:46 PM
lol, ffs lets be honest about who is really racketteering here.

TheTexan
02-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Yes. States should do as they are told. So should you for that matter.

Obey.

dannno
02-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Title should be changed to "2 Colorado Residents are first to ask Feds to block legal pot"

Acala
02-19-2015, 03:56 PM
It should lose. There is nothing in the Constitution that empowers the Feds to force states to enforce Federal law and the Supreme Court has recognized that. The new law does not prohibit the Feds from enforcing Fedewral law.

Some of the new proposed nullification laws that make it illegal for Federal officers to enforce Federal law WILL run directly afoul of the Supremacy Clause.

willwash
02-19-2015, 04:06 PM
It should lose. There is nothing in the Constitution that empowers the Feds to force states to enforce Federal law and the Supreme Court has recognized that. The new law does not prohibit the Feds from enforcing Fedewral law.

Some of the new proposed nullification laws that make it illegal for Federal officers to enforce Federal law WILL run directly afoul of the Supremacy Clause.
Good point, their beef is with the Feds for not enforcing ther own laws, not the state

jmdrake
02-19-2015, 04:08 PM

You are exactly right. Now will 5 of the 9 "Men and women in black" do the right thing? I'm not holding my breath on that.

thoughtomator
02-19-2015, 04:08 PM
It would be fitting if some anonymous tips led to a mountain of three-letter agencies crashing down on the hotel and horse farm in question.

jmdrake
02-19-2015, 04:13 PM
It would be fitting if some anonymous tips led to a mountain of three-letter agencies crashing down on the hotel and horse farm in question.

LOL

Acala
02-19-2015, 04:13 PM
You are exactly right. Now will 5 of the 9 "Men and women in black" do the right thing? I'm not holding my breath on that.

It shouldn't get that far. The District Court should dismiss it. No private cause of action to enforce Federal drug laws and no obligation by the State to enforce Federal law.

Brian4Liberty
02-19-2015, 04:16 PM
The owners of a mountain hotel and a southern Colorado horse farm argue in a pair of lawsuits filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Denver that the 2012 marijuana-legalization measure has hurt their property and that the marijuana industry is stinky and attracts unsavory visitors.

LOL. Look who's talking!

Brian4Liberty
02-19-2015, 04:19 PM
For every law that is passed, there are people who lost who will try to overturn it. Sometimes they have legitimate complaints and legal justifications, often they don't. The validity of the argument seems to have little bearing on how the Courts rule though.

Anti Federalist
02-19-2015, 04:40 PM

EPA and BLM raids inbound to check for "compliance".

CaptUSA
02-19-2015, 04:45 PM
I wonder if this could get caught up in the federal vs. state laws argument that is going on with immigration. I can see many of the same arguments being considered from both angles.

Dr.3D
02-19-2015, 04:46 PM
LOL. Look who's talking!
I suspect they heard that line from someone complaining about them and since it worked so well that time, decided to use it again.

Thor
02-19-2015, 05:38 PM
I have to LOL at this....

I did a little research... "mountain hotel" helps limit it....

RELATED NEWS: One of the lawsuits involves the Holiday inn in Frisco. The hotel has been a vocal of opponent of a proposed medical marijuana establishment in an adjacent property (http://www.summitdaily.com/news/14636881-113/summit-county-holiday-inn-opposes-marijuana-dispensary-moving-next-door). The Frisco Town Council, however, approved an ordinance (http://www.summitdaily.com/news/14829635-113/frisco-gives-thumbs-up-to-new-marijuana-shop-by-holiday) that would paved the way for the pot business. At the time, the hotel indicated a lawsuit might be in order.

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/regional/15117148-113/summit-county-hotel-files-lawsuit-seeking-to-end-colorado-marijuana

And who is said owner of the Holiday Inn?

Frisco Holiday Inn owner charged with entering female guest’s room

http://www.summitdaily.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Zp6ct Ksg2FFReF1bXxNz_M$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtvfmmvjDDfETX uUwlzx5y_WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

A Summit County business owner was arrested over the weekend on suspicion of harassing at least one of his female guests.

Adam Pietraszek, 52, owner of the Holiday Inn Summit County-Frisco, is charged in Summit County Court with one count of harassment, a misdemeanor.

The charge stems from an incident during the early morning hours of Saturday, March 1, in which Pietraszek allegedly groped a 36-year-old female guest of his hotel and later used his master key to let himself into the woman’s room, according to court records.

Frisco police officers responded shortly before 4 a.m. to the Holiday Inn, at 1129 north Summit Boulevard in Frisco, where they interviewed Pietraszek, the victim and two of the victim’s friends.

Pietraszek told officers he was hosting a town of Frisco event at the Sporting News Grill, located on the second floor of the hotel. He said he provided the woman and her two friends free alcohol throughout the course of the night, according to court records. Pietraszek denied ever entering the woman’s room.

Pietraszek informed the investigating officers they were ‘on his payroll.’

Pietraszek also told officers that he paid their checks, which meant the officers were “on his payroll,” according to court records.

However, the victim and her two friends recounted a different version of the story. Although they all admitted to accepting free drinks from Pietraszek, they told officers the hotel owner had glossed over the part of the story in which Pietraszek invited them to join his table at the bar, according to court records.

While seated at the table with the women and several unidentified patrons, Pietraszek continually placed his hands on the victim’s lower leg and back, according to witness statements. On at least one other occasion, Pietraszek also kissed the woman’s hand, according to court records.

The victim asked Pietraszek numerous times not to touch her because she is married, according to court records. Those statements were verified to law enforcement officers by the victim’s friends.

At about 3 a.m. the woman and her two friends returned to their hotel rooms. The victim and one of her friends, another woman, were staying in the same room, according to court records.

A few minutes after returning to their room, the women heard the doorknob to their room rattling. Pietraszek entered bearing snacks and told the women he was there to check up on them, according to court records. The women demanded Pietraszek leave, which he did.
Based on the statements provided by the victim and her two friends, Frisco police officers placed Pietraszek into custody and booked him into the Summit County jail. He was released on a $500 bond, according to jail records.

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/10458371-113/pietraszek-according-court-records

dannno
02-19-2015, 05:51 PM
I have to LOL at this....

I did a little research... "mountain hotel" helps limit it....

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/regional/15117148-113/summit-county-hotel-files-lawsuit-seeking-to-end-colorado-marijuana

And who is said owner of the Holiday Inn?

http://www.summitdaily.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Zp6ct Ksg2FFReF1bXxNz_M$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtvfmmvjDDfETX uUwlzx5y_WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/10458371-113/pietraszek-according-court-records

It's Larry!!

http://coolaggregator.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/richardkline1.jpg

lol.. pot smokers are unsavory, indeed :D

NoOneButPaul
02-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Im just about to move out there to start working in a grow operation... needless to say i'm going to be super pissed if I go out there and this falls apart.

Whenever I hear people start to make arguments FOR the war on drugs I start to cringe... I've been listening to the arguments for years and no one has even come close to sounding sane. This lawyer here is a real dipshit... I guess I could just move to Oregon if all else fails. I have to think the Northeast will legalize soon enough as well...

I cut my smoking a few years ago because I do consider it a real vice but the fact no one seems to consider the other factors is quite sad. All of the money, all of the persecution, all of the loss of rights... the drug war is one of the worst things to happen to American in it's history and that's saying a lot. We pretty much gave the Feds a backdoor way of busting into our homes whenever they want. All of this shit over a plant that grows out of the ground...