PDA

View Full Version : got some free time? answer this question for my friend

krott5333
12-04-2007, 06:46 AM
sent out a bunch of messages on myspace with the land of the free video.. here is her response.

I'm so confused...what is going on that is making this Country not a FREE country anymore? I don't get it..I thought this country is a Free one.

i can answer her later, but i have to go to class.. and I figure you folks could give me some ideas

freedominnumbers
12-04-2007, 06:50 AM
For starters your friend can be imprisoned and killed/held forever on secret evidence that nobody will ever see as long as some insider is willing to tell the court it exists.

If that were to happen to your friend he/she would probably not find any support from his/her peers because they've been trained to believe that when the government says something it is so.

hawkeyenick
12-04-2007, 06:50 AM
sent out a bunch of messages on myspace with the land of the free video.. here is her response.

i can answer her later, but i have to go to class.. and I figure you folks could give me some ideas

Suspension of habeas corpus, no one charged with a crime in guantanamo, all the new laws against protesting (aka they can take away everything you own), HR 1955, the illegal and legal phone taping and on and on and on

zeegrim
12-04-2007, 06:58 AM
For me, the main thing that comes to mind is the concept of the federal government imposing on issues that the states should individually deal with. If it so happened that Roe vs. Wade banned all abortion in the US there would be some whose freedom would be threatened. Same goes for the war on drugs which affects some legit medical marijuana users, or the idea of a national smoking ban. If you're not free to choose as long as you harm no other than yourself, do you feel free?

Anyway, I'm sure other people on the forum will have a better, more detailed response.

literatim
12-04-2007, 07:03 AM
-NSA is currently wiretapping your phone line.
-Patriot Act allows two federal agents to write their own search warrant and it is a felony to tell anyone including your own lawyer.
-Patriot Act allows federal agents to search your home without telling you that they did it or what they took.
-Suspension of habeas corpus. They can detain you without trial for as long as they see fit.
-Free speech zones. In many States you are restricted where you are allowed to speak out against the government in form of protest.
-Imminent domain has been expanded by the Supreme Court when they ruled that any government (federal, state, local) can seize your land and give it to corporations.

shrapnel88
12-04-2007, 07:15 AM
just make her watch freedom to fascism on google video.

zeegrim
12-04-2007, 07:18 AM
-NSA is currently wiretapping your phone line.
-Patriot Act allows two federal agents to write their own search warrant and it is a felony to tell anyone including your own lawyer.
-Patriot Act allows federal agents to search your home without telling you that they did it or what they took.
-Suspension of habeas corpus. They can detain you without trial for as long as they see fit.
-Free speech zones. In many States you are restricted where you are allowed to speak out against the government in form of protest.
-Imminent domain has been expanded by the Supreme Court when they ruled that any government (federal, state, local) can seize your land and give it to corporations.

The problem with those, although they are good points, is that they don't relate with the average Joe. Few people, relative to the total population, are affected by these reprehensible laws. It doesn't mean we should live with them, but you're less inclined to protest something that hasn't directly affected you.

Mental Dribble
12-04-2007, 07:30 AM
The problem with those, although they are good points, is that they don't relate with the average Joe. Few people, relative to the total population, are affected by these reprehensible laws. It doesn't mean we should live with them, but you're less inclined to protest something that hasn't directly affected you.

BINGO! Americans dont realize how much of our rights we have given up, because for the average masses they don't see it in their day to day lives....

THIS IS THE PROBLEM. People must THINK and decide to make a stand.

Ron Paul is the thinking mans candidate, which is what scares me.... I dont think most Americans think, at least...... not for themselves.

Austin
12-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Also, remind her that the government will not strip away our freedoms in one swoop. They will chip away at it little by little. Then bring up examples of the Patriot Act, HR 1955, etc.

Then bring up other important issues if she isn't really agreeing with you. If you can't win her on the freedom issue, then get her on foreign policy, immigration, or health care.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
12-04-2007, 07:35 AM

But we should protect the rights of people that may need the liberties that are being infringed on to ensure our future rights. For example reporters, activists, idealists, writers, journalists, professors etc.

In the last few years the police have learned that they can push further. And they are. I think it has gone to far and needs to go back a bit.

zeegrim
12-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Also, remind her that the government will not strip away our freedoms in one swoop. They will chip away at it little by little. Then bring up examples of the Patriot Act, HR 1955, etc.

I think that's what in some cases gives Ron Paul the appearance of a fringe candidate. I personally think it's a good thing that he tries to bring these issues up in his speeches, but others who see no mention of freedoms being chipped away when watching the MSM might have a different opinion.

I guess for most it's better to live in denial than in fear...

zeegrim
12-04-2007, 07:46 AM
But we should protect the rights of people that may need the liberties that are being infringed on to ensure our future rights. For example reporters, activists, idealists, writers, journalists, professors etc.

In the last few years the police have learned that they can push further. And they are. I think it has gone to far and needs to go back a bit.

I don't dispute that, but there are better issues with which we can get voters. For some, the war on Iraq, for others State rights, and again for others, healthcare. These are things people are more likely to think about than increased reports of police using tazers. Get them to elect Ron Paul on these issues and as a bonus they will get to continue feeling they are free thanks to no more Patriot Act (because that way it never got to personally affect them).

RTsquared
12-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Send her the link to this article:

Fascist America, in 10 Easy Steps (http://www.globalresearch.ca/PrintArticle.php?articleId=5487)

Ask her to read this, then see if she still has any questions. If she has any doubts after this article, I'm afraid she's not ready to see the light.