PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Derrick Grayson (TMOT) questions Senator Rand Paul on TPP

orenbus
02-17-2015, 09:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCRAaaXYR8U

Brett85
02-17-2015, 11:06 AM
I think most libertarians who are opposed to the TPP have said that they're opposed to it because they think it violates U.S sovereignty, not because they think it will cause us to lose jobs. Rand didn't really address the sovereignty question in his response.

philipped
02-17-2015, 03:17 PM
I think he should be opposed to it on the principle of it's inception in secrecy :/

Galileo Galilei
02-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Basically, Rand is handling TPP like he handled immigration:

With immigration, Rand was in favor of reform, but when the bill sucked, he voted against it.

With TPP, Rand favors trade, but if the treaty sucks he will vote against it.

invisible
02-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Disappointed. He ducked the question. I wanted to hear him explain why he supposedly supports this thing, in spite of all the bad stuff that it's supposed to contain. Instead he talked about why the US isn't competitive in the global market. He absolutely needs to be question on his stance here, and pressed for an actual answer.

Galileo Galilei
02-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Disappointed. He ducked the question. I wanted to hear him explain why he supposedly supports this thing, in spite of all the bad stuff that it's supposed to contain. Instead he talked about why the US isn't competitive in the global market. He absolutely needs to be question on his stance here, and pressed for an actual answer.

Rand said the deal is not written yet, so when he says he *supports* it, he means he supports it in principle based upon promises made to him. That does not mean he will vote for TPP.

Brett85
02-18-2015, 11:20 PM
Rand said the deal is not written yet, so when he says he *supports* it, he means he supports it in principle based upon promises made to him. That does not mean he will vote for TPP.

In all likelihood he'll vote for it. He's voted in favor of all the free trade agreements so far.

Galileo Galilei
02-18-2015, 11:38 PM
In all likelihood he'll vote for it. He's voted in favor of all the free trade agreements so far.

Rand has opposed every treaty. TPP is the only one he said he supports. He voted against the UN small arms treaty and has been blocking FACTA for 4 years:

S Amdt 139 - Prohibits the United States From Entering into the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty - Key Vote
Rand Paul voted Yea (Amendment Vote) on this Amendment.
https://votesmart.org/bill/16401/43297/117285/prohibits-the-united-states-from-entering-into-the-united-nations-arms-trade-treaty#.VOV0xWM5Dcs

see also, he voted against this, too:

Treaty Doc. 112-7 - The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities - Key Vote
Rand Paul voted Nay (Passage) on this Treaty.
https://votesmart.org/bill/15948/41992/117285/the-convention-on-the-rights-of-persons-with-disabilities#.VOV1OWM5Dcs

Natural Citizen
02-18-2015, 11:45 PM
I think most libertarians who are opposed to the TPP have said that they're opposed to it because they think it violates U.S sovereignty, not because they think it will cause us to lose jobs. Rand didn't really address the sovereignty question in his response.

Well. I don't know. It sounded like he did address it in a round about way. But he also did so under the premise of the thing being an actual free trade agreement instead of some mercantilist skullduggery. By that standard, one could agree with him. He said that we need to impose our will on other nations basically. If you want to trade with us then you'll need to behave a certain way, he said. Of course, I question whether or not "we" means "us", as in the people begind those closed doors. Industry holds no loyalty to any nation. And if a nation's laws contradict a projected profit then it could be assumed that those nations are understood to be "misbehaving" by the industries who function within a mercantilist infrastructure. Of course, in a mercantilist economic structure whereas industry becomes more powerful by way of government, one could use the old "we" gag, I suppose. But, really, that's only because the people simply can't decipher the difference between mercantilism and an actual free market.

At the end of the day, though, the rest of the world are far more active in opposing the thing and are actually debating the issues that come with it as opposed to the model we have here in the states where we are more likely to avoid discussing the goings on with the TPP itself in favor of defending our favorite political figures. The fact is that the only people who even know about it are the politically active deomograph and with that comes selling a candidate before anything. Irrelevant of that ,I don't think it gets authorized in the long run based on the fortitude of the rest of the world. They are, and have been, taking to the streets. I've posted a few vids and reports on it. They're peeved about it, alright.

At the same time, it is refreshing to hear him respond to the fact that it is happening in secret. Nobody wants to let the American people or the bulk of our representatives know what is happening with it. What we have is a merge of corporations and state whereas they pen the screed together and then try to enforce it. There is a word for that. Right?

Galileo Galilei
02-18-2015, 11:47 PM
Rand also voted against the Export-Import bank: https://votesmart.org/bill/15159/39851/117285/export-import-bank-reauthorization-act-of-2012#.VOV3sWM5Dcs

He voted for allowing FDA-approved drug imparts from Canada (which is a good treaty)

He voted to repeal funding of this treaty: https://votesmart.org/bill/13997/37046/117285/repeals-funding-for-trade-adjustment-assistance-for-firms#.VOV4B2M5Dcs

He voted against the Currency Exchange Rate Oversight Act of 2011.