PDA

View Full Version : "But who will plow the roads?!"

Cabal
02-15-2015, 11:15 AM
These folks figured it out with exceptional ease, it seems. Dat every-day anarchy. How long before the State tells them they can't do that anymore, I wonder.

Michigan neighborhood bands together to buy tractor, clear sidewalks (http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/02/residents_of_a_michigan_neighb.html)

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The residents of an Ann Arbor, Michigan, neighborhood pooled together to buy a $43,000 tractor to plow their sidewalks.

More than a dozen signed up to drive their sidewalk snowplow, SnowBuddy, around the 1,000 homes of Water Hill after snowstorms. Another 25 residents serve as shovelers, clearing the piles of snow left behind from the street plow.

"The current system assumes that when you spot an unshoveled sidewalk you should call the police on your neighbors," said Paul Tinkerhess, who organized the SnowBuddy program. "But it has very little chance of it actually meeting the needs of pedestrians. And then on top of that you think, 'Gosh, should every homeowner be required to go out and lift hundreds of pounds of snow every time it snows in order to maintain what is essentially a public right-of-way?'"

A vast majority of Tinkerhess' neighbors agreed with him because SnowBuddy is funded entirely through donations.

Who bought SnowBuddy?

Tinkerhess founded a nonprofit organization. By November the board already had a volunteer base willing to go to every house in Water Hill to ask for support.

In less than a month, volunteers raised $18,000, enough for a down payment on SnowBuddy, which was financed for $43,000 over four years from the Ohio-based Ventrac Products Inc., which produces snowplows, tractors and other machinery. The tractor has a heated cab and three attachments, a broom, snow thrower and blade.

So far, the neighbors have more than 300 donations for a total of $30,000. He said some of the donations even come from supporters out of state.

"We run it like a public radio station, that's our model," Tinkerhess said. "In that we provide the service for free in an entire area and then we survive on donations. And like public radio if people think the service is worth it, they send us a donation. And so far they are really kicking in."

How does SnowBuddy work?

SnowBuddy is stored in a "Snow Cave," which takes up half of one neighbor's garage.

Tinkerhess said one "super volunteer" serves as the group's "snowcaster." He tracks the weather and organizes the plowing by using a Google spreadsheet to coordinate pathways, times and drivers' schedules.

Tinkerhess said they use a map that "looks a lot like a New York subway map" to plan plowing routes, generally starting with the sidewalks that have the highest foot traffic. But after every snowstorm, all 12 miles of sidewalk in Water Hill are cleared.

They also put down an ice-melt product that is environmentally, animal and concrete friendly.

"It takes us about 10 seconds to clear the walk in front of somebody's home, in contrast to that homeowner taking 10 minutes to do the same job," he said.

phill4paul
02-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Doing. It. Right.

There are still some pockets of humanity out there.

Ronin Truth
02-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Road plow truck drivers?

Suzanimal
02-15-2015, 11:30 AM
These folks figured it out with exceptional ease, it seems. Dat every-day anarchy.

Nice.

How long before the State tells them they can't do that anymore, I wonder.

I wouldn't be surprised. I wager they produce some sort of safety violation or ordinance that prohibits it.

Uriel999
02-15-2015, 12:04 PM
This needs to banned! This takes away the jobs of the snow plowers! I mean safety, and children!

Sola_Fide
02-15-2015, 12:16 PM
This should be illegal.

kcchiefs6465
02-15-2015, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised. I wager they produce some sort of safety violation or ordinance that prohibits it.
Certainly if they charged money it would be.

ctiger2
02-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Are they properly licensed?

Sola_Fide
02-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Are they properly licensed?

Good question. It almost seems they are "anti-government". Probably treasonous.

2young2vote
02-15-2015, 01:49 PM
I live on a corner of a busy road and a side road. The busy road is plowed almost non-stop during and after a snowstorm, but the side road, which is what my driveway is on, isn't plowed for a couple days, usually. That means that the snow that is pushed off of the busy road gets piled up on the side road, so people turning on-to or off the side road have real trouble if they aren't in a big 4x4 vehicle. I've seen cars get stuck for 3-4 minutes trying to turn onto the busy road because there can be upwards of 8 or more inches of snow and slush piled up.

So i go out after every major snowstorm and shovel that intersection for about 20 feet into the side road. People are thankful. Lots of waves and smiling faces. If i had a truck I'd probably do the entire neighborhood for free.

Cabal
02-15-2015, 02:16 PM

Illinois goons have gone after snow shovelers before...

Peoria man cited for illicit snow shoveling (http://www.pjstar.com/article/20140108/NEWS/140109308)

In the annals of Peoria crime, Doug Haley probably won't become infamous as The Mad Shoveler.

But he does stand accused of an unusual charge: essentially, reckless snow-shoveling. Sunday, a police officer wrote him a citation for violating a city ordinance by throwing snow into the street in front of his house. The pending fine: $100.

RJB
02-15-2015, 02:17 PM
In times of emergencies (as it is in Boston) I only trust people in camouflage uniforms and carrying unloaded M-16s to clear the streets. Only the National Guard is capable in such times.

Suzanimal
02-15-2015, 02:27 PM
Illinois goons have gone after snow shovelers before...

Peoria man cited for illicit snow shoveling (http://www.pjstar.com/article/20140108/NEWS/140109308)

Sounds like something from The Onion but sadly, it's true.
We are so fucked.

CaptUSA
02-15-2015, 04:20 PM
http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width960/img/ann-arbor_photos/photo/-b94e5dc9f41dae4e.jpghttp://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width960/img/ann-arbor_photos/photo/-29af665812a6d4c7.jpg

Slave Mentality
02-15-2015, 04:39 PM
In times of emergencies (as it is in Boston) I only trust people in camouflage uniforms and carrying unloaded M-16s to clear the streets. Only the National Guard is capable in such times.

I see someone wants an extra chocolate ration. Good work Citizen!

tangent4ronpaul
02-15-2015, 05:00 PM
I live on a corner of a busy road and a side road. The busy road is plowed almost non-stop during and after a snowstorm, but the side road, which is what my driveway is on, isn't plowed for a couple days, usually. That means that the snow that is pushed off of the busy road gets piled up on the side road, so people turning on-to or off the side road have real trouble if they aren't in a big 4x4 vehicle. I've seen cars get stuck for 3-4 minutes trying to turn onto the busy road because there can be upwards of 8 or more inches of snow and slush piled up.

So i go out after every major snowstorm and shovel that intersection for about 20 feet into the side road. People are thankful. Lots of waves and smiling faces. If i had a truck I'd probably do the entire neighborhood for free.

When I lived in the mountains this was the norm for the side/dirt roads. One place they built a road over a spring on an incline and helping people that had hit that and slid off and gotten stuck was a pretty much daily occurrence. Another place, there was a neighbor who had a pickup with a plow on it. Every storm he cleared the street.

Here there are neighbors that shovel the walk and I and the next door one used to shovel the drive way for the little old lady that used to live across the street before she passed.

I don't see this working for highways. One of the reasons I'm not an anarchist. some of those tax dollars are damn well spent! I found it ironic that in the mountains the main roads were 100% cleared. Plows were out there when it started snowing. Then you got into the city and the roads were totally F'd up... :rolleyes:

-t

presence
02-15-2015, 05:25 PM
Meanwhile the road in front of my home never gets plowed because our drunken town plow truck operator prefers to leave it as a illicit snow mobile trail for his buddies.

I'd do it myself... but that would be criminal.

Good thing I always pay my highway tax on 1200' of frontage.

georgiaboy
02-15-2015, 06:57 PM
This should be national headlines, and Republicans should seize on this stuff. Heck, they should start a campaign just to report this kinda grassroots activity by real Americans. Maybe Rand's "Shut the Damn Thing Down" or something.

In other news, the banner ad at the bottom of this thread says to me "You're Invited To Dinner with Hillary Clinton" "enter now", "www.dinnerwithhillary.com". Think I'll pass. Sheesh the irony.

tangent4ronpaul
02-16-2015, 10:14 AM
In other news, the banner ad at the bottom of this thread says to me "You're Invited To Dinner with Hillary Clinton" "enter now", "www.dinnerwithhillary.com". Think I'll pass. Sheesh the irony.

How much are tix?
Anyone know where I could pick up a couple of skunks on short notice?
:D

-t

Uriel999
02-16-2015, 11:37 AM
I see someone wants an extra chocolate ration. Good work Citizen! I think you mean doubleplus good.

Anti Federalist
02-16-2015, 12:05 PM
http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width960/img/ann-arbor_photos/photo/-b94e5dc9f41dae4e.jpg

Totally off topic rant, and good for these people by the way, but when did it become a thing to have to wear blaze yellow jackets and hi vis tape every time you do anything anymore?

Not enough safety I say.

http://shootshescores.com/movies/Hard_Hat2.gif

Suzanimal
02-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Totally off topic rant, and good for these people by the way, but when did it become a thing to have to wear blaze yellow jackets and hi vis tape every time you do anything anymore?

Not enough safety I say.

:D

I was thinking the same thing. It seems odd especially for the guy driving the Snow Buddy.:rolleyes: Really? How can ya miss that thing?

nobody's_hero
02-16-2015, 12:28 PM
I only have one question:

Why does the snow buddy have a fan in the cab?

truthdivides
02-16-2015, 12:40 PM
It prevents the window from fogging up inside.

CaptUSA
02-16-2015, 01:10 PM

It is an OSHA regulation. Anytime you are performing "work" within 10 feet of a roadway, you have to have one of these hi-vis vests or other hi-vis apparel with a certain amount of sq. in. area of reflective material.

No. I'm not kidding.

If he were to get out of the thing near a roadway without his vest on, he could be technically be in violation of OSHA regs.

Now, it makes you wonder how much the guy who came up with the regs got in payback from the manufacturers of hi-vis reflective material.

PaulConventionWV
02-16-2015, 01:24 PM

Not enough safety I say.

It does seem a bit unnecessary, but I think it probably has something to do with the association of blazer vests with carrying out an "official" function. They have become kind of par for the course for people who "direct" or take care of "official" public duties.

ETA: Or what CaptUSA said above ^^^ i.e. "regulation"

CaptUSA
02-16-2015, 01:43 PM
https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=27155

All workers within the right-of-way of a Federal-aid highway who are exposed either to traffic (vehicles using the highway for purposes of travel) or to construction equipment within the work area shall wear high-visibility safety apparel.
That has been interpreted to mean ALL roadways. (Except driveways) This was the letter of interpretation that kicked everything off. Prior to this, you may see an orange vest here or there, but nothing like what you're seeing now.

Anti Federalist
02-16-2015, 01:50 PM
https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=27155

That has been interpreted to mean ALL roadways. (Except driveways) This was the letter of interpretation that kicked everything off. Prior to this, you may see an orange vest here or there, but nothing like what you're seeing now.

And who voted for that?

No Regulation without Representation!!!

CaptUSA
02-16-2015, 02:04 PM
And who voted for that?

No Regulation without Representation!!!HA HA HA.

Silly, boy... Where do you think you are?! In Amerika, we regulate anything and everything. Don't like it? We'll see you in our courts. And you will be bled.

CaptUSA
02-16-2015, 02:05 PM
//

donnay
02-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Great initiative...but this will put so many state jobs in jeopardy. You know government hates competition.

EBounding
02-16-2015, 02:16 PM
That is a very scarey machine. The vests give me some comfort, but do they have the proper licenses? Have the Authorities certified them as snow plowers? Is the machine up to code? Until they do this, it's only a matter of time before they start driving it into houses and mowing down children.

devil21
02-16-2015, 03:05 PM
That thing is $43k??? It's a lawn mower with a cab and a brush attachment. Nope, no inflation here.

Good for them on principle but methinks they took it up the rear on the price.

paleocon1
02-17-2015, 10:04 AM
What if after privately addressing one REAL need in their Community without crawling to the State these seditionists get the idea that THEY are able to address other issues as well. Best to nip this rebellion in the bud.

Anti Federalist
02-17-2015, 10:35 AM
HA HA HA.

Silly, boy... Where do you think you are?! In Amerika, we regulate anything and everything. Don't like it? We'll see you in our courts. And you will be bled.

Yes, sir.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/082/456/Okay.png

Anti Federalist
02-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Railroads have this shit figured out already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yja2VmZOfdA

heavenlyboy34
02-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Call Mr Plow!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVWdf1Ky2bI

ChristianAnarchist
02-17-2015, 11:52 AM
HA HA HA.

If you don't like it --- LEAVE!!! Oh, and there will be an exit tax on your way out... also if you don't relinquish your "citizenship" you will be responsible for filing and reporting on ALL your income from what ever source (as well as any from your foreign spouse). Oh, want to drop that citizenship?? There's a million forms and HUGE fees for doing just that... it might take some time but our "friendly" agents will gladly put you on hold and shuffle you around until you get fed up and hang up...

Anti Federalist
02-17-2015, 11:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzwxUdXhjMs