PDA

View Full Version : Video that may have gotten Bush elected in 2004 - Similar one for Ron Paul?

adpierce
12-04-2007, 01:31 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1081290053848786842&q=Bush+Inner+Strength&total=12&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

This may be the video that got Bush re-elected in 2004. I know I stupidly voted for the man in 2004 in large part due to this video. Now I look back on it in amazement that I could be won over by such a piece of propaganda. I certainly was a sheep. Thanks in some measure to Ron Paul I'm not anymore. The only reason why I'm posting this in the grassroots section was that I was wondering if we can produce something similar to this but not as obtuse. Something tastefully done that emphasizes Ron Paul's values voter credentials would be sweet. Or should we totally stay away from this sort of thing due to it's tackiness? I'd love to see this some opinions on this.

DRV45N05
12-04-2007, 01:33 AM
What got Bush re-elected was responding quickly and forcefully to the hurricane damage in Florida of that year and the fact that he was able to turn out the evangelical vote. Florida was a tossup until then, and the evangelicals put him over the top in Ohio.

a_european
12-04-2007, 01:49 AM
OH MY GOD!
This is one of the most awfull propaganda pieces I have ever seen. Not from the production quality, but from the lies.
I only watched some minutes of it, but that was enough.
Abraham Lincoln a Christian!?! Give me a break.
He doesn't even believed that a god would exist and only used religion, as the political genius he was, in his speeches for his own purposes.
And I guess there his much about how the founding fatheres were so deeply christian and wanted to be America a christian nation. Huckabee likes to spread that lie too.
I'm an atheist btw.

Goldwater Conservative
12-04-2007, 01:57 AM
When you have an issue as divisive as a war, you can't just be hawkish but only less so than the other guy while openly wavering on it and expect to win. That's why Bush didn't win, Kerry lost. Why throw out Bush for an unsure and watered down version of him who might be smarter but takes his marching orders from "the international community"?

What the Dems needed to win, and with which they'd probably have won big in the process, was a conservative within their party who was consistent, adamantly against the war, and proposed a timetable for withdrawal so we could focus on Afghanistan and al-Qaeda, including bin Laden.

Craig_R
12-04-2007, 02:01 AM
and threw up in my mouth a little. If Paul puts out a tacky propaganda piece like this please warn me before I actually watch it

adpierce
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
and threw up in my mouth a little. If Paul puts out a tacky propaganda piece like this please warn me before I actually watch it

I don't advocate putting out something as tacky as this, but something tastefully done which highlights his values voters credentials. But I am serious this video made a big impact in 2004 when things looked like it go either to Kerry or to Bush. Especially in states like my home state of Iowa where the values voters constitute a large section of the voting population.

Just Come Home
12-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I hope Ron Paul doesn't use Christianity like this. As a Christian, this video offends me. I guess some of my bretheren buy into this stuff, but I find this video to be in great distaste.

adpierce
12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I hope Ron Paul doesn't use Christianity like this. As a Christian, this video offends me. I guess some of my bretheren buy into this stuff, but I find this video to be in great distaste.

I doubt the official bush campaign had anything to do with this video being distributed... at least not officially. It however did impact the landscape in key states like Iowa and Ohio. Unfortunately, this is kind of how you win these states. I don't doubt Huckabee (or his supporters) will attempt something of this sort before the election season is over for him. The question is do we wait and allow them to put something out like this before we have a chance to show that Ron Paul is really the best choice for a Christian voter? He stands for pro-life values, homeschooling, allowing the states to decide issues of prayer in the schools and whether Intelligent Design will be taught on the local level. His ideology would allow for Christians to build strong communities where they can practice their faith with far less restraints than since the first century of this country. I think if we were to put forth a tastefully done video I think it could take away from the Huckabites stranglehold on these key states. Am I alone in thinking a video like this could be tastefully done and persuasive.