PDA

View Full Version : Congressman Ted Lieu: President hasn't made case ISIL is a direct, grave threat to US

tsai3904
02-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Congressman Ted Lieu Opposes New AUMF Proposal

WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman Ted Lieu (CA-33) has issued the following statement in response to the Administration’s new AUMF proposal:

“President Obama has shown consistent thoughtfulness and care in dealing with national security challenges as our Commander in Chief. However, as currently drafted, I cannot support the Administration’s proposed authorization for the use of force against the so-called Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). The Administration’s proposal potentially authorizes the deployment of unlimited ground troops in Iraq and Syria (and anywhere else in the Middle East) by this President and our next President for the next three years, while at the same time restricting the actions of those ground troops. As a member of Congress, a graduate of Air War College and a former active duty Air Force officer, I believe we can only put American daughters and sons in harm’s way to confront the gravest of threats. ISIL’s actions are repugnant and should be confronted. At present, however, I do not believe the Administration has made the case that ISIL represents a direct, grave threat to our nation. I look forward to continuing this discussion with the Administration and my colleagues in Congress.”

Congressman Ted Lieu serves on the House Committees on the Budget and Oversight & Government Reform. He is also the Democratic Freshman Class President.

https://lieu.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congressman-ted-lieu-opposes-new-aumf-proposal

oyarde
02-12-2015, 12:27 AM
They are no threat to me .

r3volution 3.0
02-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Glad to see it, but I have to criticize one thing...

As a member of Congress, a graduate of Air War College and a former active duty Air Force officer, I believe we can only put American daughters and sons in harm’s way to confront the gravest of threats.

Note the reversal of the normal order (sons and daughters). It's like the systematic purging of "he" as the standard impersonal pronoun.

Feminist NewSpeak, even in this piece of writing which has nothing whatsoever to do with gender...

...makes me ill.

Stratovarious
02-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Glad to see it, but I have to criticize one thing...

Note the reversal of the normal order (sons and daughters). It's like the systematic purging of "he" as the standard impersonal pronoun.

Feminist NewSpeak, even in this piece of writing which has nothing whatsoever to do with gender...

...makes me ill.

I totally agree, he just lost any respect I might have had for him. His revisionist stance is bigger than the issue he is trying to present.