PDA

View Full Version : Looking for libertarian/voluntaryist literature on psychology issues.

jp1131
02-11-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm doing research on the causes of teen anxiety and teen pregnancy and I was wondering if anyone can point me to literature with libertarian/voluntaryist perspectives on these issues. The kinds of the things people like Stefan Molyneux talk about when discussing these kinds of things are always far more informative and rational than the normal "prevailing wisdom" that you get from statist psychologists.

Ronin Truth
02-11-2015, 03:41 PM
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=thomas+szasz&gbv=2&oq=Thomas+Sz&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.1.5j0l3j0i10l3j0l3.8075922.8082031.0.8087875. 9.9.0.0.0.0.344.2032.2-3j4.7.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..2.7.2016.lOiDpy2YYWY

Rothbardian Girl
02-11-2015, 10:26 PM
http://www.theicarusproject.net/
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it's pretty close. It's basically a libertarian advocacy organization for people who are diagnosed with "mental illness" (research has indicated that this concept is highly flawed).

The Icarus Project is a support network and media project by and for people who experience the world in ways that are often diagnosed as mental illness. We advance social justice by fostering mutual aid practices that reconnect healing and collective liberation. We transform ourselves through transforming the world around us.

HVACTech
02-11-2015, 10:38 PM
+ rep and a bump.

there is NOTHING to be done about "teen anxiety"

but we CAN teach our girls to keep their legs together and make sure they select a good husband. :D

green73
02-11-2015, 10:52 PM
+ rep and a bump.

but we CAN teach our girls to keep their legs together and make sure they select a good husband. :D

Always the fucktard...

Well, not always...you just appeared one day with full rep...

HVACTech
02-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Always the fucktard...

Well, not always...you just appeared one day with full rep...

I like "fucktard" just fine.

I am a Deist and a min-archist. and that SERIOUSLY pisses you off.

I can deal with that.

Ronin Truth
02-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Teenage anxiety and pregnancy:

Inadequate parenting.
Raging hormones.
Incomplete brain development.

pcosmar
02-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Teenage anxiety and pregnancy:

Inadequate parenting.
Raging hormones.
Incomplete brain development.

Yup.. People have known what causes pregnancy for thousands of years.
And it has caused anxiety for nearly as long.

Noam Chomsky
02-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Reification by Timothy Bewes, it doesn't specifically discuss teenage anxiety but it talks about the root causes of anxiety in humans in general.

heavenlyboy34
02-12-2015, 12:13 PM
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=thomas+szasz&gbv=2&oq=Thomas+Sz&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.1.5j0l3j0i10l3j0l3.8075922.8082031.0.8087875. 9.9.0.0.0.0.344.2032.2-3j4.7.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..2.7.2016.lOiDpy2YYWY

FWIW, here Lew interviews Dr Szaz: http://www.lewrockwell.com/podcast/71-psychiatry-as-an-arm-of-the-state/

dannno
02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
+ rep and a bump.

That is a ridiculous anti-biological solution.

Honestly, I don't have a good solution but I do know that people used to start having kids at much younger ages when they were in hunter/gatherer societies and even up to 100+ years ago young people were able to support themselves and start a family.

It's only been in the last 100+ years that we have been essentially forcing people to continue their education until they are 22+ and thus not be able to support themselves and a family.

Of course, we have a lot more information to learn and ways to specialize nowadays, so again I don't know what the best solution is but to try and convince a 17 year old or 18 year old not to have sex is retarded. Some of them will be fine with it, but for the majority it just isn't going to happen.

Fortunately there are better birth control methods out nowadays that have been able to help mitigate this issue, and of course abortion being legal and generally available does as well even though some people disagree with the moral implications.. That would just mean it is more important to teach and help rely on better birth control methods, or else try and educate young people with more applicable skills so they can get more lucrative jobs sooner.

HVACTech
02-12-2015, 06:01 PM
That is a ridiculous anti-biological solution.

Honestly, I don't have a good solution but I do know that people used to start having kids at much younger ages when they were in hunter/gatherer societies and even up to 100+ years ago young people were able to support themselves and start a family.

It's only been in the last 100+ years that we have been essentially forcing people to continue their education until they are 22+ and thus not be able to support themselves and a family.

Of course, we have a lot more information to learn and ways to specialize nowadays, so again I don't know what the best solution is but to try and convince a 17 year old or 18 year old not to have sex is retarded. Some of them will be fine with it, but for the majority it just isn't going to happen.

Fortunately there are better birth control methods out nowadays that have been able to help mitigate this issue, and of course abortion being legal and generally available does as well even though some people disagree with the moral implications.. That would just mean it is more important to teach and help rely on better birth control methods, or else try and educate young people with more applicable skills so they can get more lucrative jobs sooner.

Whoa.. we are talking about underage teen girls here, right?

but we CAN teach our girls to keep their legs together and make sure they select a good husband.

teaching our children is one thing, expecting them to do it is quite another. yes, it would be very foolish to expect that demanding abstinence will work.
that would be poor parenting. impressing upon them the dangers of choosing the wrong spouse is an important part of this "teaching"
so is providing birth control information.

this will help to relieve some of the inherent anxiety induced by coming of age. :)

Christian Liberty
02-12-2015, 09:33 PM
I like "fucktard" just fine.

I am a Deist and a min-archist. and that SERIOUSLY pisses you off.

I can deal with that.

green may have good political ideas, but he's a jerk. Don't take him too seriously and you should be fine.