PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Covert this guy from being an outdated Republican into a informed Libertarian

RonPaul4Prez2012
02-10-2015, 11:13 PM
this guy i know from my hometown is a full on GOP republican conservative. I keep seeing the biased teaparty shat on facebook he posts and it just makes me scratch my head day in and day out. He does care a lot about the direction of the country though and he did serve in the military so hes a good guy, just a little misdirected. The last I talked to him he was reading Mark Levin propaganda.

Is there anything pro-libertarian or anti-republican that you could recommend for him to see the light? Any help would be appreciated. Post your favorite documentaries, websites, books to read, political figures so that we can save this guy from the gulag.

thanks beforehand :cool:

Crashland
02-10-2015, 11:26 PM
this guy i know from my hometown is a full on GOP republican conservative. I keep seeing the biased teaparty shat on facebook he posts and it just makes me scratch my head day in and day out. He does care a lot about the direction of the country though and he did serve in the military so hes a good guy, just a little misdirected. The last I talked to him he was reading Mark Levin propaganda.

Is there anything pro-libertarian or anti-republican that you could recommend for him to see the light? Any help would be appreciated. Post your favorite documentaries, websites, books to read, political figures so that we can save this guy from the gulag.

You might need to convert yourself into an informed libertarian first.

RonPaul4Prez2012
02-10-2015, 11:30 PM
You might need to convert yourself into an informed libertarian first.

I'm very informed Ive been a libertarian since 2008. Youre kinda a big ass for posting some shat like that.

heavenlyboy34
02-10-2015, 11:35 PM

Someone like that isn't likely going to read. Point him to video/audio and links to relevant literature for further reading. RP has put out good stuff, as has Mises Institute, LRC, and others.

specsaregood
02-10-2015, 11:47 PM
I'm very informed Ive been a libertarian since 2008. Youre kinda a big ass for posting some shat like that.

Well either way, you are probably on the wrong site. Last I checked Ron Paul is a republican conservative, so is his son as well as many if not majority of active posters on this site.

TaftFan
02-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Old Southern Avenger videos. Also, my signature.

Crashland
02-10-2015, 11:51 PM

Nah man it's because I'm personally insecure.

Natural Citizen
02-10-2015, 11:53 PM

Well. One thing first off is that we have people from all walks of political life on this forum. Don't feel disfranchised if you're told otherwise. It simply isn't true. I don't know why your rep bar is so red because I haven't read any of your postings but what seems to be your specific issue with his positions? By that I mean what specific issues do you disagree with him on? And then how so? You can't just say teaparty shat. There are some good people in the Tea Party whether it be the instant or home made varieties. There really are.

RonPaul4Prez2012
02-10-2015, 11:53 PM
Well either way, you are probably on the wrong site. Last I checked Ron Paul is a republican conservative, so is his son as well as many if not majority of active posters on this site.

true man, he is no different than John McCain or George Bush. Carry on.

heavenlyboy34
02-11-2015, 12:11 AM
RP describes himself as a libertarian also, depending on the audience he's speaking to. Politicians gonna politick. Due to his rhetoric and writings past n' present, I consider him a type of libertarian.

Rudeman
02-11-2015, 04:24 AM
Depends on the type of stuff he is interested in. Not every libertarian is pure and those that end up being pure (or as close to it as you can get) usually don't start that way. They find something that sparks their interest and it goes from there.

For example Ron Paul's foreign policy views is what sparked my interest, eventually I started exploring his other beliefs and I found myself agreeing with them (wasn't an overnight shift).

AuH20
02-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Mark Levin isn't that bad. He's too caught up with American exceptionalism and America's role in the world, but I have far more in common with him then say your average paid Republican operative.

JK/SEA
02-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Mark Levin isn't that bad. He's too caught up with American exceptionalism and America's role in the world, but I have far more in common with him then say your average paid Republican operative.

Levin is a statist fuckwad, and sleeps with Glenn Beck.

JK/SEA
02-11-2015, 10:24 AM

watch the movie 'The Matrix', then' V for Vendetta', then 'They live'.

William Tell
02-11-2015, 10:29 AM
I don't know about how to actually convert him to libertarianism. But exposing him to the truth about the origins of NeoConservatism should help get him moving our way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcratzFRPek

otherone
02-11-2015, 11:00 AM
watch the movie 'The Matrix', then' V for Vendetta', then 'They live'.

...or just throw a brick at his head. If he wakes the fuck up, GREAT! If not, at least, there is no downside.

TomKat
02-11-2015, 11:31 AM
I don't try to "convert" anyone, they would just resist if I did. I just keep planting seeds by talking about the points that I want to get across. Either you will start making sense or you will start to annoy. Either way you make progress. Most of the people I used to "annoy" have been coming back to me now spouting my own view points because they wanted to disprove me and spent so much time thinking about it and looking it up that I think they forgot their original point.
I used this method to get almost everyone I know to vote for Ron in 2012 when the same people were calling him crazy in 2008. It just takes time and you have to plant the seed correctly.

Krugminator2
02-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Economics in One Lesson is the best book I have ever read on any topic.

I would watch John Stossel's ABC special "Is America Number 1?" next. I saw in a high school class and it had a big impact on me.

Understanding basic free market economics makes understanding every other aspect of libertarianism easier.