PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show

Suzanimal
02-10-2015, 05:59 PM
The AV Club is reporting Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show. Stewart, who has hosted the show on Comedy Central since taking over for Craig Kilborn in 1999. Stewart apparently let the cat out of the bag at today’s episode taping, and told the audience he is "retiring." There are currently no details on where he might be heading next.

Comedy Central has confirmed the news with a statement from president Michele Ganeless:

For the better part of the last two decades, I have had the incredible honor and privilege of working with Jon Stewart. His comedic brilliance is second to none. Jon has been at the heart of Comedy Central, championing and nurturing the best talent in the industry, in front of and behind the camera. Through his unique voice and vision, ‘The Daily Show’ has become a cultural touchstone for millions of fans and an unparalleled platform for political comedy that will endure for years to come. Jon will remain at the helm of ‘The Daily Show’ until later this year. He is a comic genius, generous with his time and talent, and will always be a part of the Comedy Central family.
Developing...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/10/8016257/jon-stewart-is-reportedly-leaving-the-daily-show

amy31416
02-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Everybody seems to be jumping that ship/shark. His "sidekicks" are often much funnier than him these days.

jmdrake
02-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Everybody seems to be jumping that ship/shark. His "sidekicks" are often much funnier than him these days.

It's hard to be funny and partisan at the same time. When he tried to attack Rand Paul on the sly for telling the truth that stupid laws were a contributing factor to police brutality, he jumped the shark.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-10-2015, 06:13 PM
The Daily Show sucks with or without him.

amy31416
02-10-2015, 06:29 PM
It's hard to be funny and partisan at the same time. When he tried to attack Rand Paul on the sly for telling the truth that stupid laws were a contributing factor to police brutality, he jumped the shark.

Yeah. I think that nails it--he's been pretty strained trying like hell to defend liberals and smear conservatives (not that many of them exist.)

Matt Collins
02-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Jon Stewart is a progressive propagandist disguised as an entertainer disguised as a newsman. Never forget that...
Successful comedians are able to get their audiences to let their guard down, and in his case, then able to push their agenda onto unsuspecting minds.

Jon Stewart can be hilarious, and he can speak truth to power on occasion in a way that only the court jester can. He gave my former boss, Congressman Ron Paul, a very fair shake when few in the media would. Jon Stewart even criticized Obama and some liberal Democrats when he didn't have to.

But regardless of how entertaining, or how funny, or how fair he may come across, at his core he is a propagandist for the progressive cause and has helped shaped the thoughts of millions of people across the country. That should not be forgotten.

Matt Collins
02-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Jon Stewart leaving the Daily Show:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/11/arts/television/jon-stewart-leaving-daily-show.html?_r=0

RabbitMan
02-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Jon Stewart is a progressive propagandist disguised as an entertainer disguised as a newsman. Never forget that...
Successful comedians are able to get their audiences to let their guard down, and in his case, then able to push their agenda onto unsuspecting minds.

Jon Stewart can be hilarious, and he can speak truth to power on occasion in a way that only the court jester can. He gave my former boss, Congressman Ron Paul, a very fair shake when few in the media would. Jon Stewart even criticized Obama and some liberal Democrats when he didn't have to.

But regardless of how entertaining, or how funny, or how fair he may come across, at his core he is a propagandist for the progressive cause and has helped shaped the thoughts of millions of people across the country. That should not be forgotten.

No. Just no. He is a comedian and an important public persona who pushed for moderation and intelligence in all things. Just because you didn't agree with his conclusions is no reason to brandish him so callously as a 'propagandist'. By that same notion, you and I aren't free thinkers, we are merely propagandists for the Koch brothers cause.

Come on.

kcchiefs6465
02-10-2015, 10:28 PM
No. Just no. He is a comedian and an important public persona who pushed for moderation and intelligence in all things. Just because you didn't agree with his conclusions is no reason to brandish him so callously as a 'propagandist'. By that same notion, you and I aren't free thinkers, we are merely propagandists for the Koch brothers cause.

Come on.
I think you're a little too fair with your words about Stewart. He pushed for 'moderation and intelligence in all things?' I remember his Founder's 'AR vs. Musket' segment well. Countless others. He says some good things every once in a while (maybe twice or three times a week), but really, he was bought and sold a long time ago. Not because he has differing political opinions (though his authoritarian, busy body views should be ridiculed), but because he damn well knows better and pays false tribute to a cause and then kills it through mockingly downplaying the effect, if showing it at all.

Working Poor
02-10-2015, 10:44 PM
I think he is getting the can because of what he said about police brutality. I am sure tptb did not like it one bit.

amy31416
02-10-2015, 10:46 PM
I'll go out for a beer with Stewart before I would with Collins. For one, Collins would probably require a chip-in for the beer....

Matt Collins
02-10-2015, 10:46 PM

Come on.
Watch his attack of Judge Napolitano and then get back to me:
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/uhvdtk/andrew-napolitano

ctiger2
02-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Maybe the Leibowitz in him has has finally caught up with the Stewart?

FloralScent
02-11-2015, 10:28 AM
...but really, he was bought and sold a long time ago.

He wouldn't have a show on the propaganda box if that were not the case.

brushfire
02-11-2015, 10:32 AM
FWIW, I left the Daily Show a long time ago. The only time I've watched recently, are clips posted here, and they usually involve Ron or the Judge.

Really, I think I've seen more John Stewart show episodes than Daily show episodes, and that was back when MTV was still "Music Television".

JK/SEA
02-11-2015, 10:32 AM
stewart is annoying.

my undestanding is he's going into being a producer.

Zippyjuan
02-11-2015, 02:09 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/videos/watch-jon-stewart-s-stunning-daily-show-departure-speech-20150211

After the taping of last night's The Daily Show, news began trickling out over social media and a subsequent Comedy Central statement that the program's longtime host Jon Stewart had announced he was leaving The Daily Show. We can now watch as Stewart delivers the news to an unsuspecting audience with an emotional, thankful monologue. "I would imagine that as this show is airing, there may be information out there that the audience might not be aware of," Stewart warns before dropping his bombshell.

The first sign that something was afoot was when Stewart bumped The Daily Show's nightly interview a little earlier in the program, giving himself room to make his big announcement at episode's end. "Seventeen years is the longest I have ever in my life held a job by 16 years and five months," Stewart says. "The upshot there being, I am a terrible employee. But in my heart I know it is time for someone else to have that opportunity."

Stewart added that he doesn't have a clear end date or any firm decision on what his post-Daily Show schedule will be. "I don't have any specific plans. Got a lot of ideas; I got a lot of things in my head. I'm gonna have dinner, on a school night, with my family, who I have heard from multiple sources are lovely people," Stewart said.

"This show doesn't deserve an even slightly restless host, and neither do you. I don't think I'm going to miss being on television every day. I'm going to miss coming here every day. I love the people here. They're the best," Stewart said in closing out his big announcement. "It's been an absolute privilege. It's been the honor of my professional life. And I thank you for watching it. For hate-watching it. Whatever reason you were tuning in for. You get in this business with the idea that maybe you have a point of view and something to express, and to receive feedback from that is the greatest feeling you could ask for, and I thank you."

Video at link of his announcement.

PaulConventionWV
02-11-2015, 02:36 PM
It doesn't matter. They'll just find another one. Just when you think you got rid of them, another one pops up in its place. Oh, when does it end!

Zippyjuan
02-11-2015, 03:09 PM
There will always be politics. And political commentators.

Danke
02-11-2015, 03:30 PM
He should go on to MSNBC.

Matt McGuire
02-11-2015, 03:43 PM
I'm going to miss him. He was one of the reasons I ever "found out" about Ron Paul. His video after the Ames Straw Poll media blackout on RP led me down the rabbit hole.

Mach
02-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Stewart was probably pushed out........ I have to say, I've laughed at some of his crap before.... but overall I agree with Matt, he is/was just another tool..... "light-heartedness" is one of the, sharpest tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrPOUdvo9w

TheTexan
02-11-2015, 05:20 PM
My sources tell me that Jon Stewart may or may not be leaving the Daily Show to prepare for a 2016 Presidential Run.

Matt Collins
02-11-2015, 08:10 PM
There will always be politics. And political commentators.
But he isn't a commentator, he is a propagandist.

heavenlyboy34
02-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Stewart was probably pushed out........ I have to say, I've laughed at some of his crap before.... but overall I agree with Matt, he is/was just another tool..... "light-heartedness" is one of the, sharpest tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrPOUdvo9w
LOLZ :D Tool or not, his show was comedy. He never claimed otherwise. I can't believe people get so out of sorts about Stewart when there are genuinely dangerous and reckless "journalists" like BillyO to be concerned with. (Billy is not an actual journalist, of course, but he presents himself as one and his audience tends to believe him to be a legit journalistic source)

Matt McGuire
02-11-2015, 08:18 PM
My sources tell me that Jon Stewart may or may not be leaving the Daily Show to prepare for a 2016 Presidential Run.

I miss the days when Stephen Colbert was running for President and Jon was running his super pac.. it's a bummer we won't have them around (especially Stephen) for the 2016 election.

green73
02-11-2015, 08:19 PM

Or staying depending on the big fatness of a contract.

euphemia
02-11-2015, 09:42 PM
No. Just no. He is a comedian and an important public persona who pushed for moderation and intelligence in all things.

Um, no. He expoited ignorance and fomented it. He's not funny or relevant any more.

Great hair, though.

heavenlyboy34
02-11-2015, 10:21 PM
I'll go out for a beer with Stewart before I would with Collins. For one, Collins would probably require a chip-in for the beer....

LMAO!!! :D

John F Kennedy III
02-12-2015, 05:24 AM

Not only that Collins would make you carry his high chair for him.

Spikender
02-12-2015, 05:43 AM
It's no big loss, I still have Rachel Maddow if I want to watch a comedy show masquerading as a news program.

PaulConventionWV
02-12-2015, 09:38 AM
LOLZ :D Tool or not, his show was comedy. He never claimed otherwise. I can't believe people get so out of sorts about Stewart when there are genuinely dangerous and reckless "journalists" like BillyO to be concerned with. (Billy is not an actual journalist, of course, but he presents himself as one and his audience tends to believe him to be a legit journalistic source)

Because, believe it or not, people actually do take comedians seriously. Like this, for instance. Comedy? Maybe to some people, but still with an obvious agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVuspKSjfgA

HAY GUYZ! GUN CONTROL IN AUSTRALIA WORKED!

PaulConventionWV
02-12-2015, 09:42 AM

Come on.

Except we're not employed by the state-run media. Come on, he was a propagandist. No true libertarian would have ever been allowed on TV in his position.

AuH20
02-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Except we're not employed by the state-run media. Come on, he was a propagandist. No true libertarian would have ever been allowed on TV in his position.

Very true.