PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul's Wardrobe Upset GOP Donors

AuH20
02-04-2015, 11:58 AM
More hilarity.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rand-pauls-jeans-upset-powerful-gop-donors-2015-2

RonPaulFanInGA
02-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Two things about this surprises me:

1. That it's a real article. Thought it was going to be satire when I clicked this thread.

2. That this article is not from Politico.

CPUd
02-04-2015, 12:07 PM
All part of his master plan - "send me money so I can buy some pants"

luctor-et-emergo
02-04-2015, 12:13 PM
They just envy him because he dares to be different than the status quo. It's about more than clothing but to admit that would make these people look like a sorry bunch. They just don't have good arguments against actual policy and rather than give in to their own hypocrisy they will blame the man for wearing the wrong clothes.

AuH20
02-04-2015, 12:15 PM
They just envy him because he dares to be different than the status quo. It's about more than clothing but to admit that would make these people look like a sorry bunch. They just don't have good arguments against actual policy and rather than give in to their own hypocrisy they will blame the man for wearing the wrong clothes.

The entire country is built on the deceitful model of style over substance. So none of this is surprising at it's core. The GOP establishment went crazy when they found out Goldwater was going to run as Goldwater and not some plastic politician.

Jamesiv1
02-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Bad decision by Team Rand.

You go to a social event, you dress appropriately. Why not do the same for a political event?

Always over-dress. You will never get in trouble for over-dressing. And that does NOT include wearing a tuxedo to a cook-out. That's clown-dressing, not over-dressing.

Good quote from the article:

"Rand Paul, for his striking speech, marched onto the stage in a suit jacket, tie and jeans. I wear jeans and you wear jeans and it’s not unusual for a man to wear jeans with a tie and jacket. They look like happy farmers, or cable TV anchors whose desks don’t show their legs. That being said, could we not wear grown-up suits when we are running for high office?"

thoughtomator
02-04-2015, 12:58 PM
I agree that Rand needs to dress the part. If you're wanting to be President, look like it. A campaign is essentially an extended job interview, and, as the old adage goes, you dress for the job you want not the one you have.

AuH20
02-04-2015, 01:16 PM
I agree that Rand needs to dress the part. If you're wanting to be President, look like it. A campaign is essentially an extended job interview, and, as the old adage goes, you dress for the job you want not the one you have.

15 to 20 years ago, I would have agreed with you. But I'm sick of all the bait and switch.

Mr.NoSmile
02-04-2015, 01:43 PM
I'm glad to know so many people place so much emphasis on appearance.

Sola_Fide
02-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Rand doesn't dress right, he's too short, he wears a wig, etc.

These are all the things that boobus really takes into account when choosing a President.

Brett85
02-04-2015, 02:03 PM

These are all the things that boobus really takes into account when choosing a President.

Yeah, it really makes you think that there's no hope for our country at all when people care about superficial things like that, rather than things that actually matter.

fisharmor
02-04-2015, 02:08 PM
So, when did Rand officially declare his candidacy?
I seem to have missed it.

thoughtomator
02-04-2015, 02:14 PM
I'm glad to know so many people place so much emphasis on appearance.

My appearance changes often, and sometimes quite dramatically, depending on how long I let my hair grow, whether I grow a beard and how it's trimmed, whether I'm wearing glasses or not, and what clothes I wear.

The very same people who would treat me with total respect when I look nice often treat me like dirt when I'm unkempt, poorly dressed or otherwise shabby in appearance.

Appearance has a huge impact on how a person is perceived. There's no getting around it - these are instinctive, habitual, and trained responses that people have to appearance. While I totally agree that judging someone on appearance is bullshit, fact is that 99% of people do exactly that.

Rand downdressing in inappropriate circumstances is an unforced error.

specsaregood
02-04-2015, 02:27 PM

I think Randal should grow out a beard before he announces his candidacy. It's been a long time since we had a presidential candidate with a beard.

Natural Citizen
02-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Meh. You can't go wrong with jeans and boots. Plus you have to be yourself. You know? I never could relate to a fake.

Heh. The piece reminds me of that old line in a song...

My boss screamin' in my ear 'bout who I'm s'posed to be, "Get a three-piece Wall Street smile, and son you'll look just like me". I said "Hey, man, there's somethin' you oughta know, well I tell ya Park Avenue leads to...Skid Row!!"...

Tod
02-04-2015, 02:41 PM
The country needs fixing, and men who wear jeans are no-nonsense, get it done types. Only smarmy politicians with empty promises wear fancy suits.

;)

asurfaholic
02-04-2015, 02:45 PM
I don't want a sparkly prissy ass politician in a suit. I want a leader. Not a king, a real man- a leader. His pants do not interest me.

Natural Citizen
02-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Only smarmy politicians with empty promises wear fancy suits.

Plus, when you put them all together they look like one of those minion memes. You Know? The banana one?

acptulsa
02-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Are they upset because he won't hide his criminality in pinstriped camouflage, or because he doesn't need to wear camouflage because he's not a criminal?

You know, we really ought to make this backfire in their faces. The media thinks you can't be president if you wear jeans. As the voters who elect the president, what do you think?

We really need to find a way to make this a case of 'us vs. them', and the sooner the better. The Christmas rush may well be too late. Would jeans be a way to do it?

AuH20
02-04-2015, 02:53 PM

And then they act perplexed when things are so screwed up?

eleganz
02-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Not a big deal, I noticed Rand changing up his wardrobe lately, more fitted suiting options, he's definitely been getting new clothes.

Also, if Frayda Levin is concerned, Rand will listen.

idiom
02-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Same god damn site

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/mark-zuckerberg-same-t-shirt-2014-11

The dude has a drawer with 20 identical t-shirts. Is way more qualified than most Presidents.

For those who haven’t noticed yet, Zuckerberg wears the same grey T-shirt at most public events. While many expected a playful response, Zuckerberg gave a pretty serious answer for his penchant to wear the same grey shirt.

“I really want to clear my life to make it so that I have to make as few decisions as possible about anything except how to best serve this community,” Zuckerberg said, after clarifying that he has “multiple same shirts.”

He said even small decisions like choosing what to wear or what to eat for breakfast could be tiring and energy consuming, and he doesn’t want to waste any time on that.

“I’m in this really lucky position, where I get to wake up every day and help serve more than a billion people. And I feel like I’m not doing my job if I spend any of my energy on things that are silly or frivolous about my life,” he said.

Natural Citizen
02-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Well. Hm. I just did a few random Google map searches for various cities and towns that peopped into my noggin. Guess what. When I went to street view everyone, or most everyone was wearing jeans. So, then, I suppose that the moral of that story is that junior would do well to remember to who he truly is representative. Is it the people? Average jokers just trying to make a living or Frayda freakin Levin (since she was mentioned) and whatever special interest of the day she's representing? Please.

eleganz
02-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Well. Hm. I just did a few random Google map searches for various cities and towns that peopped into my noggin. Guess what. When I went to street view everyone, or most everyone was wearing jeans. So, then, I suppose that the moral of that story is that junior would do well to remember to who he truly is representative. Is it the people? Average jokers just trying to make a living or Frayda freakin Levin (since she was mentioned) and whatever special interest of the day she's representing? Please.

Frayda Levin is a wealthy libertarian donor who has made it her mission to support Rand all the way with funding and networking.

Natural Citizen
02-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Frayda Levin is a wealthy libertarian donor who has made it her mission to support Rand all the way with funding and networking.

I know who she is. And I know what board(s) she sits on. And who has established those organizations. And I'm fully aware of her monetary contributions across the board.

At the end of the day junior is seeking to be representative of the people if he should decide to run. And, yes, most of them wear jeans. And, yes, even boots. Jiiiminy crickets. The nerve of the peasants. That's pack structure. Polar opposite of the 3-piece gift wrap that decorates trustees in PAC structure. And so, don't associate yourself with those boot wearing, jean touting scum. Put on a suit and shine up those new shoes and come over here with that wall street smile and show us who you really want to represent like I do. Right?

Feeding the Abscess
02-04-2015, 06:48 PM
It's hard for me to be sympathetic when numerous elements of Team Paul spent the last two presidential cycles chastising their own supporters for their appearance.

If your own candidate can't be bothered to wear a suit to a gathering with business leaders and big money donors, don't be surprised if they react a certain way. And spare me the crocodile tears after you do the same thing to those 'below' you.

rich34
02-04-2015, 07:00 PM
"And it didn't really matter if the truth was their, it was the CUT OF HIS CLOTHES and the length of his hair..."
Johnny Cash

This is all BS..

There is a couple reasons for this, but first off...

These old guys ego's are hurt, plain and simple. In their mind Rand not getting all dressed up for them is showing a lack of respect and apparently a slap in the face. In their mind, "how dare this mf'r come in here not bowing to US.."

It's also a subconscious way of portraying him as sloppy, which also can pierce the mind as having a poor work ethic. All of which is not true of course, but the groundwork/script is being setup for the benefit of their selected candidate. I have said it before and will keep saying it. They are setting the stage for Jeb and his stupendous amount of "integrity" that is simply the sole reason the man she be elected, to hell with the issues!

As for this being newsworthy? Seriously? Between his clothes, vaccine bs, and oh recent poll numbers placing him 1st in NH, 2nd in Iowa, and 2nd nationally, I'd say this has more to do with knocking him down for a particular candidate than anything else. I mean come on!! Why does the dress code BS even come up at all, but even more so why now right after the vaccine smear?? Coordinated effort? Why of course it is! Why haven't we already gotten a MSM article about this? It don't take two brain cells to see that this isn't even a story without the vaccine controversy. But where's the controversy? The extremely odd thing is that had to be created as well given the fact he's vaccinated all of his children, and other than not believing in given newborns 5 vaccines at one time is supportive of them. Not so supportive to force them on people and give folks the right to choose, but still, nothing was said negative about vaccines. Unless they think it's a good idea to give 5 at one time, hell maybe a few years from now they'll think 10 is better so they can change the debate from it's better to take 10 at one time vs. 5 so we can move past arguing whether people have a choice at all.

Damn, I don't envy Rand an company at all. Trying to predict when and where snare's are going to be laid is impossible unless you have some people on the inside. I mean seriously who decides this stuff? I have noticed they like to bunch shit together that way more of it sticks, literally. All Rand can do is try to minimize the list of dumb shit they can use against him. And oh, he really don't have to get on his knees, but if he wants money from old white guys he's going to have to give them the illusion he's on his knees by dressing up for them. I know ridiculous, but then again, considering how far they went to create the vaccine story where there simply wasn't one who's to say the dress attire was that big a deal? Anyone read a "real" factual statement by anyone that was there? I know they quoted:

“This is an older crowd and much more establishment crowd. They are used to a Romney. They are used to a Jeb Bush,” Levin said.

Honestly, it's hard to believe anything they even say.. I mean, a Paul supporter is them cannon fodder to hit Rand with? Interesting, but ok, but given the next quote who's to say the "they are used to a Romney/Jeb Bush." And by using Levin, is that Frayda or Marc?

“Jeans might work for a younger audience,” said another attendee, “but these are old bulls who put on a tie every day to go to the office.”

So they go straight from a comment from Frayda Levin, to running it straight in with "another attendee." Damn, shady slight of hand journalism. So Levin doesn't at all say that jeans were as big of an issue as is being portrayed, but slight of hand journalism with "another unnamed attendee" sure as hell does..

Then to top it off, they drop the appearance of sloppiness with a policy idea that is supposedly coming outta left or odd ball field.

"During a Sunday afternoon speech at the Koch forum , Paul drew skepticism among some donors by touting tax breaks as a means of spurring economic growth in blighted inner cities. That stance is anathema to the brand of small-government conservatism espoused by the industrialist brothers and many of their network’s donors, who object to marketplace interference. Even Levin admitted she was “a bit surprised. But he’s just exploring ideas right now. People didn’t quite understand where he was coming from.”

Wow, "Anathema"
1. a person or thing detested or loathed:
"That subject is anathema to him."

2. a person or thing accursed or consigned to damnation or destruction.

3. a formal ecclesiastical curse involving excommunication.

4. any imprecation of divine punishment.

5. a curse; execration.

Using that word right there really says it all. Hit piece from the beginning, but even more bizarre is using it in relation to knock a policy that reduces taxes and gets the government out of the way to explain why a group of small government conservatives didn't like the plan? Are you serious? Not only does it make Paul appear as a big government liberal, since this writer choose to explain it the way they did, but it makes Rand appear to be on the loon side because they simply couldn't "understand where he was coming from." Wow, God help us..

I'm sorry for the long post but I couldn't resist the opportunity to break down this whole "controversy" bullshit. Imo obviously, all manufactured by the media. And in reality from two sources, politico/conservative event, and the other conservative Laura Ingram radio show. So thanks Laura, you sure provided the gas and spark to something that wasn't there and really still isn't there, but the people will believe nonetheless. I see their bullshit and break down what I see, I just have no idea how to fight it. They did this to Ron and are going to do it to Rand, I just really pray someone can figure out how to fight these tactics. The torpedo that derailed Ron wasn't just his newsletters, but also a super shot of testosterone to Santorum courtesy of CNN and their fake ass pole which provided the surge up his arse... Alright I'm done.

fisharmor
02-04-2015, 07:25 PM
So, seriously, I missed this. When did Rand officially announce he's running for President?

JJ2
02-04-2015, 08:15 PM
Two things about this surprises me:

1. That it's a real article. Thought it was going to be satire when I clicked this thread.

2. That this article is not from Politico.

That's where they got the story from: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/rand-was-a-dud-at-the-koch-brothers-conference-114853.html

specsaregood
02-04-2015, 08:38 PM
So, seriously, I missed this. When did Rand officially announce he's running for President?

Immediately after Hillary did.

helmuth_hubener
02-04-2015, 08:41 PM
I agree with acptulsa. While this may indeed have been an "unforced error," the fact that it led to an article berating him for it is a huge opportunity. Again: this is a huge opportunity! This story should be played up like crazy, shouted to high heaven. Go share it or like it or whatever it is that you can do. Post it on other forums. Write articles in response to it.

This is an absolute, 10,000% win for Rand. He just needs to play it right, and that is not challenging. Think of how hard politicians try to appear like "everyman". And how hard it is to pull it off. Even if it seems sincere, people are jaded and know the game. But this story? You couldn't script it better. He wears jeans and the stuffy, lame media gives him a hard time. Wearing jeans vs. not wearing jeans: you don't need a big poll to tell you which is going to be the winning side for that one in America today.

dannno
02-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Are they upset because he won't hide his criminality in pinstriped camouflage, or because he doesn't need to wear camouflage because he's not a criminal?

You know, we really ought to make this backfire in their faces. The media thinks you can't be president if you wear jeans. As the voters who elect the president, what do you think?

We really need to find a way to make this a case of 'us vs. them', and the sooner the better. The Christmas rush may well be too late. Would jeans be a way to do it?

Ya, I think our country is ready for the first jeans-wearing President.

I know there are still a lot of clothists out there, but we need to stand up and show them that their prejudice against people who like to wear comfortable clothes is wrong.

YesI'mALiberal
02-04-2015, 09:06 PM
this is a huge opportunity!

Let me see if I've got this right - publicly making a big deal about these billionaires being tight-asses is going to shame them into giving Paul money? And it will no doubt encourage other tight-assed billionaires to invite Paul to their own ass-kissathons?

Sola_Fide
02-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Let me see if I've got this right - publicly making a big deal about these billionaires being tight-asses is going to shame them into giving Paul money? And it will no doubt encourage other tight-assed billionaires to invite Paul to their own ass-kissathons?

I think you are really underestimating the money and groundwork that is going to come from private people into Rand's campaign.

TommyJeff
02-04-2015, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=AuH20;5774373]More hilarity.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rand-pauls-jeans-upset-powerful-gop-donors-2015-2[/QUOTE
when I watched a clip of this "discussion" I thought he looked sharp. I guess my eyes don't work the same as a GOP donor

TommyJeff
02-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Id also like to add that our current present dresses like its 1984 when he's playing golf - let me know when those pointless articles get written.

ChaosControl
02-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Jeansophobes.

Natural Citizen
02-04-2015, 09:25 PM
I think you are really underestimating the money and groundwork that is going to come from private people into Rand's campaign.

I'm not sure if I want a bunch of fat cats becoming so powerful by way of their pocketbook that they can tell a feller how to dress if he wants to be in their company. Screw them. That's what I say. Heaven help us if a possible presidential candidate kisses their ring so quick with regard to their distaste for the lowly American and their tendency to wear such things as boots and jeans with their jacket. If he bows that easy to something so minimal then one may only imagine what they'd expect to get out of their purchase once policy is on the table.

I wear boots and jeans with a jacket quite a bit. And so the whole discussion is annoying to me.

I'll tell you what does peeve me nice and good though. Have you ever seen those people wearing shorts that come all of the way down between their ankles and calf? The really baggy ones that look like they're 30 lbs. Now what the heck is that all about? That looks stupid. And then with the stupid looking oversized cap with the ironed front. Or at least it looks ironed.

The last time I ordered ball caps for the boys, I bent every last one of those things before handing them out. I worked em in good too. Heh. It's baseball, dammit. We're not a walking billboard out here to advertize for someone elses bottom line. We're celebrating a way of life, I said. I still had one of them show up at the game with the front of his hat nicely pressed, though. I did a double take and just kind of chuckled and spit my seeds out.

helmuth_hubener
02-04-2015, 09:47 PM
In related news:

Deputy quits over boot ban

PINEDALE, Wyo. (AP) — The new sheriff of a Wyoming county has banned his deputies from wearing cowboy hats and cowboy boots, a change that led one longtime deputy to retire rather than give up his Western attire.

Sublette County Sheriff Stephen Haskell imposed the new dress code in the western Wyoming county that includes Pinedale, which True West magazine recently named a true Western town.
Haskell, 53, who has worked in law enforcement for three years, also argues that cowboy boots are slippery on ice and cowboy hats can blow away in Wyoming's blustery wind.

The change led Deputy Gene Bryson to retire last Friday after 28 years with the department and about 40 years total in law enforcement. His uniform included a brown cowboy hat, brown cowboy boots and a leather vest in the summer or a wool vest in the winter.

The uniform change is "kind of the reason why I retired," Bryson told the newspaper. "I am not going to change. I've been here for 40-odd years in the sheriff's office, and I'm not going to go out and buy combat boots and throw my vest and hat away and say, 'This is the new me.'"

Bryson was born and raised on a ranch in Montana and has worked on ranches in Colorado and Wyoming. He went into law enforcement in 1974.

"And I've had a cowboy hat on since 19 — I don't know," Bryson said. "That's what looks good to me in the sheriff's department. It's Western. It's Wyoming."

-- http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Other/212914/deputy-quits-over-wyo-sheriffs-ban-on-cowboy-hats-boots#.VNLnGzw5BMs

acptulsa
02-04-2015, 10:11 PM

Not like they're going to give him any anyway.

They only give money to politicians that can fool the public into thinking that freedom gets people hurt. You know. RINOs and other liberals.

Who else will drive their superior competition out of business for them 'for the common good'?

They want to keep the guy who believes welfare is for the richest banks on the face of the earth and Americans aren't safe unless brown babies are being bombed. The idiot we had the last fourteen years--Dubyobambush.