PDA

View Full Version : Paul slams Bush "Hypocrisy"

Michael Landon
01-30-2015, 09:50 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rand-paul-slams-bush-hypocrisy-on-pot/ar-AA8NnOw

Rand Paul slams Bush 'hypocrisy' on pot

DALLAS — Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) accused Jeb Bush of hypocrisy after The Boston Globe reported the former Florida governor was a heavy marijuana smoker while at an elite prep school.

Bush opposed a Florida medical marijuana ballot initiative last year even though he partook liberally of the herb while in high school.

“You would think he’d have a little more understanding then,” Paul told The Hill while en route to a political event in Texas.

“He was even opposed to medical marijuana,” Paul said of Bush, a potential rival in the 2016 Republican presidential primary. “This is a guy who now admits he smoked marijuana but he wants to put people in jail who do.

“I think that’s the real hypocrisy, is that people on our side, which include a lot of people, who made mistakes growing up, admit their mistakes but now still want to put people in jail for that,” he said.

“Had he been caught at Andover, he’d have never been governor, he’d probably never have a chance to run for the presidency,” he added.

Bush told The Globe in a recent interview about his four years at Phillips Academy in Andover, one of the nation’s most prestigious prep schools, “I drank and I smoked marijuana when I was at Andover,” explaining the behavior was “pretty common.”

The Globe cited a former classmate, Peter Tibbetts, who said he first smoked marijuana with Bush and also consumed cannabis, a concentration of the plant’s resin, in Bush’s dorm room.

Tibbetts recalled Bush cranking up Steppenwolf’s “Magic Carpet Ride” on the stereo while he and his classmates got stoned.

Bush has previously acknowledged using marijuana, which he has called “stupid” and “wrong.”

He issued a statement in August urging voters to reject a proposal allowing the use of marijuana to treat debilitating diseases.

He argued it would undermine the state’s image as a “family-friendly destination for tourism and a desirable place to raise a family or retire.”

“Allowing large-scale marijuana operations to take root across Florida, under the guise of using it for medicinal purposes, runs counter to all these efforts,” he claimed.

Paul dinged Bush for now opposing the legalization of marijuana for medical use.

The Kentucky senator has spoken extensively about the need to review the efficacy of the nation’s war on drugs and reconsider harsh prison sentences and other penalties for non-violent offenders.

“I think in politics the biggest thing, the thing that voters from any part of the spectrum hate worse than anything is hypocrisy. And hypocrisy is, ‘Hey I did it and it’s okay for me because I was rich and at an elite school but if you’re poor and black or brown and live in a poor section of one of our big cities, we’re going to put you in jail and throw away the key,’” Paul said.

Paul has hinted at using marijuana in the past.

He told a Louisville television station in December that he “wasn’t a choir boy” when asked if he used the drug in college.

“Let’s just say I wasn’t a choir boy when I was in college and that I can recognize that kids make mistakes, and I can say that I made mistakes when I was a kid,” he said, according to an Associated Press report of the broadcast.

Paul introduced an amendment in July that would shield states that enact medical marijuana laws from federal prosecution. It covered 33 states including California, Kentucky and New Hampshire. He has called decade-long jail sentences for possession or sale of marijuana “ridiculous.”

newbitech
01-30-2015, 10:03 PM
nearly 60% of Florida voters were in favor of broadening medical marijuana access in 2014.

I had hoped that without Jebediah running Rand would puts some emphasis on building a stronger Florida base. Now I think he really has get some high ground in Florida to be able to successfully go toe to toe with the Bush dynasty on a national stage. Texas and Florida are going to be huge components to winning the south, which I think plays well into the larger strategy of broadening the party base to include more minorities.

I am looking for some initiative from the top to start courting those minority votes and getting them registered as Republicans BEFORE the nomination rolls around and its too late.

What will be the shared message to minorities here? How will we encourage those people to register Republican so that they can vote for Rand and then keep them interested?

scottditzen
01-30-2015, 10:45 PM
This is a punch. Right to Jeb's hypocrite face!

twomp
01-30-2015, 10:52 PM
I doubt Jeb would be offended by this. It is a time honored tradition in the Bush family to be called a hypocrite. Read my lips, "it is a time honored tradition in the Bush family to be called a hypocrite." Daddy and brother are probably calling and congratulating him right now.

Crashland
01-30-2015, 11:01 PM
I like how Rand doesn't waste any time. The pressure is on and something tells me he won't let up at all until the whole campaign is over one way or the other.

philipped
01-30-2015, 11:39 PM
RAND PAC Florida Office coming soon.

anaconda
01-31-2015, 04:31 AM
He argued it would undermine the state’s image as a “family-friendly destination for tourism and a desirable place to raise a family or retire.”

“Allowing large-scale marijuana operations to take root across Florida, under the guise of using it for medicinal purposes, runs counter to all these efforts,” he claimed.

LOL. Translation: "My puppetmasters want a domestic war on drugs, and these are the best lame talking points I can think of.."

I wish Rand would call Jeb out on the REAL reason he wants to keep drugs illegal.

torchbearer
01-31-2015, 02:04 PM
I'm stocking up on a lot of popcorn. They are not ready for Rand.

Mr.NoSmile
01-31-2015, 04:51 PM
Politicians are hypocrites? Stop the presses!

Sola_Fide
01-31-2015, 04:53 PM
I like how Rand doesn't waste any time. The pressure is on and something tells me he won't let up at all until the whole campaign is over one way or the other.

Agree. I like that Rand is throwing back at lightning speed.

Matt Collins
01-31-2015, 05:08 PM
I doubt Jeb would be offended by this.No but it could pit Jeb against a large amount of voters during the general election. And in NH it could hurt him quite a bit in the Republican primary.