PDA

View Full Version : New regs say passengers cannot fly without biometric ID card

Suzanimal
01-30-2015, 05:43 PM
The ability to travel in the United States is about to become more restrictive as the TSA announces it will soon be enforcing new identification standards in American airports.

Beginning in 2016, passengers attempting to pass through a federal TSA checkpoint will be subject to the requirements of the REAL ID Act. To that end, the TSA will put higher scrutiny on travelers’ identities, and will only accept a federal passport or a “REAL-ID” card, which is issued by the states to meet federal requirements. Passengers will not be allowed to fly through an American airport without submitting to the advanced federal specifications.

Both federal passports and REAL-ID cards require a number of unique personal identifiers to be stored together in government databases, including his or her full name, date of birth, Social Security Number, scanned signature, and other identifiers. Both cards require biometric data: a front-facing digital photograph of the passenger’s face, which is ultimately used with a facial recognition database.

“It is a choice,” flippantly explained David Fierro, the Public Information Officer for the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles. “If you use a passport when you’re traveling you don’t have any problems. If you use your driver’s license as identification, you’ll need to either apply for the Real ID card or get a passport.”

ORIGIN OF ‘REAL ID’

The enhanced security measures stem from the passage of the REAL ID Act of 2005, a U.S. law enacted by President Bush that states that a Federal agency may not accept state-issued identification cards without complying with a number of enhanced standards of the REAL ID Act.

The states were given a number of years to comply, and many moved to pass their own laws to meet the benchmarks of the REAL ID Act. Due to some sluggish response, DHS extended the compliance deadline several times.

Unfortunately, most states were all too willing to bend to the requirements of the federal government in order to obtain “state certifications” of compliance. To signify their compliance with the federal standards, many states are now issuing identity cards emblazoned with gold stars in the corner.

According to the Department of Homeland Security, only Arizona, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, and American Samoa have not met REAL ID standards as of January 2015. By DHS estimates, 70%-80% of all U.S. drivers are already carrying around REAL ID cards or live in states that have received extensions for compliance.

Some states have even gone as far as to require the applicant to present birth certificates, W-2 tax forms, bank statements, and/or pay stubs to verify one’s identity before handing out the new REAL-ID cards. Some cards have RFID chips embedded in them.

Among the 39 benchmarks of the REAL ID Act, state ID cards have to be scannable with a bar code reader, and the states are required to share access to an electronic database with all other states.

Once DHS begins enforcing the REAL ID standards, Americans without a compliant state ID will be effectively prohibited from flying at a commercial airport. Passengers would need to obtain passports even to fly on planes that never leave the United States.

THE ILLUSION OF SECURITY

The REAL ID Act was ostensibly sold as a security enhancement to protect the country against terrorism and illegal immigration. It received overwhelming support from both Republicans and Democrats, passing 388-43 in the House and 99-1 in the Senate.

However, a few rose in opposition to REAL ID, including Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX), who was perhaps its most outspoken critic. Dr. Paul, a former presidential candidate, called REAL ID a “Trojan horse” which “transform[s] state drivers licenses into de facto national ID cards.” In an impassioned speech on the House floor on February 9, 2005, Paul laid out a number of specific objections to H.R. 418:

The REAL ID Act establishes a national ID card by mandating that states include certain minimum identification standards on driver’s licenses. It contains no limits on the government’s power to impose additional standards. Indeed, it gives authority to the Secretary of Homeland Security to unilaterally add requirements as he sees fit.

Supporters claim it is not a national ID because it is voluntary. However, any state that opts out will automatically make non-persons out of its citizens. The citizens of that state will be unable to have any dealings with the federal government because their ID will not be accepted. They will not be able to fly or to take a train. In essence, in the eyes of the federal government they will cease to exist. It is absurd to call this voluntary.

Republican Party talking points on this bill, which claim that this is not a national ID card, nevertheless endorse the idea that “the federal government should set standards for the issuance of birth certificates and sources of identification such as driver’s licenses.” So they admit that they want a national ID but at the same time pretend that this is not a national ID.

This bill establishes a massive, centrally-coordinated database of highly personal information about American citizens: at a minimum their name, date of birth, place of residence, Social Security number, and physical and possibly other characteristics. What is even more disturbing is that, by mandating that states participate in the “Drivers License Agreement,” this bill creates a massive database of sensitive information on American citizens that will be shared with Canada and Mexico!

This bill could have a chilling effect on the exercise of our constitutionally guaranteed rights. It re-defines “terrorism” in broad new terms that could well include members of firearms rights and anti-abortion groups, or other such groups as determined by whoever is in power at the time. There are no prohibitions against including such information in the database as information about a person’s exercise of First Amendment rights or about a person’s appearance on a registry of firearms owners.

REAL ID cards streamline the process for the centralization and federalization of our private biometric data, while offering very little true benefit. In the words of Congressman Ron Paul, the program “offers us a false sense of greater security at the cost of taking a gigantic step toward making America a police state.”

Its difficult to argue otherwise when passports may soon be necessary to travel domestically.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2015/tsa-to-require-real-id/

Natural Citizen
01-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Just shut up and do what yer told. Whatsamatter wit you?

presence
01-30-2015, 05:53 PM
fondle your cock and balls w/ blue glove, irradiate you, plus biometric id ?

yeah that's gonna get me on a plane

lol

Danke
01-30-2015, 05:55 PM

lol

What do you have against blue gloves?

euphemia
01-30-2015, 07:18 PM
My state opted out of RealID. I guess we are out of luck.

tod evans
01-30-2015, 08:21 PM

Anti Federalist
01-30-2015, 08:59 PM
And, of course, this being AmeriKa, not a fuck is given.

New regs say passengers cannot fly without biometric ID card

http://www.policestateusa.com/2015/tsa-to-require-real-id/

"A false sense of greater security at the cost of taking a gigantic step toward making America a police state."

Posted on January 28, 2015 by Site Staff in News

The ability to travel in the United States is about to become more restrictive as the TSA announces it will soon be enforcing new identification standards in American airports.

Beginning in 2016, passengers attempting to pass through a federal TSA checkpoint will be subject to the requirements of the REAL ID Act. To that end, the TSA will put higher scrutiny on travelers’ identities, and will only accept a federal passport or a “REAL-ID” card, which is issued by the states to meet federal requirements. Passengers will not be allowed to fly through an American airport without submitting to the advanced federal specifications.

Both federal passports and REAL-ID cards require a number of unique personal identifiers to be stored together in government databases, including his or her full name, date of birth, Social Security Number, scanned signature, and other identifiers. Both cards require biometric data: a front-facing digital photograph of the passenger’s face, which is ultimately used with a facial recognition database.

“It is a choice,” flippantly explained David Fierro, the Public Information Officer for the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles. “If you use a passport when you’re traveling you don’t have any problems. If you use your driver’s license as identification, you’ll need to either apply for the Real ID card or get a passport.”

ORIGIN OF ‘REAL ID’

The enhanced security measures stem from the passage of the REAL ID Act of 2005, a U.S. law enacted by President Bush that states that a Federal agency may not accept state-issued identification cards without complying with a number of enhanced standards of the REAL ID Act.

The states were given a number of years to comply, and many moved to pass their own laws to meet the benchmarks of the REAL ID Act. Due to some sluggish response, DHS extended the compliance deadline several times.

Unfortunately, most states were all too willing to bend to the requirements of the federal government in order to obtain “state certifications” of compliance. To signify their compliance with the federal standards, many states are now issuing identity cards emblazoned with gold stars in the corner.

According to the Department of Homeland Security, only Arizona, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, and American Samoa have not met REAL ID standards as of January 2015. By DHS estimates, 70%-80% of all U.S. drivers are already carrying around REAL ID cards or live in states that have received extensions for compliance.

Some states have even gone as far as to require the applicant to present birth certificates, W-2 tax forms, bank statements, and/or pay stubs to verify one’s identity before handing out the new REAL-ID cards. Some cards have RFID chips embedded in them.

Among the 39 benchmarks of the REAL ID Act, state ID cards have to be scannable with a bar code reader, and the states are required to share access to an electronic database with all other states.

Once DHS begins enforcing the REAL ID standards, Americans without a compliant state ID will be effectively prohibited from flying at a commercial airport. Passengers would need to obtain passports even to fly on planes that never leave the United States.

THE ILLUSION OF SECURITY

The REAL ID Act was ostensibly sold as a security enhancement to protect the country against terrorism and illegal immigration. It received overwhelming support from both Republicans and Democrats, passing 388-43 in the House and 99-1 in the Senate.

However, a few rose in opposition to REAL ID, including Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX), who was perhaps its most outspoken critic. Dr. Paul, a former presidential candidate, called REAL ID a “Trojan horse” which “transform[s] state drivers licenses into de facto national ID cards.” In an impassioned speech on the House floor on February 9, 2005, Paul laid out a number of specific objections to H.R. 418:

The REAL ID Act establishes a national ID card by mandating that states include certain minimum identification standards on driver’s licenses. It contains no limits on the government’s power to impose additional standards. Indeed, it gives authority to the Secretary of Homeland Security to unilaterally add requirements as he sees fit.

Supporters claim it is not a national ID because it is voluntary. However, any state that opts out will automatically make non-persons out of its citizens. The citizens of that state will be unable to have any dealings with the federal government because their ID will not be accepted. They will not be able to fly or to take a train. In essence, in the eyes of the federal government they will cease to exist.

It is absurd to call this voluntary.

Republican Party talking points on this bill, which claim that this is not a national ID card, nevertheless endorse the idea that “the federal government should set standards for the issuance of birth certificates and sources of identification such as driver’s licenses.”

So they admit that they want a national ID but at the same time pretend that this is not a national ID.

This bill establishes a massive, centrally-coordinated database of highly personal information about American citizens: at a minimum their name, date of birth, place of residence, Social Security number, and physical and possibly other characteristics. What is even more disturbing is that, by mandating that states participate in the “Drivers License Agreement,” this bill creates a massive database of sensitive information on American citizens that will be shared with Canada and Mexico!

This bill could have a chilling effect on the exercise of our constitutionally guaranteed rights. It re-defines “terrorism” in broad new terms that could well include members of firearms rights and anti-abortion groups, or other such groups as determined by whoever is in power at the time. There are no prohibitions against including such information in the database as information about a person’s exercise of First Amendment rights or about a person’s appearance on a registry of firearms owners.

REAL ID cards streamline the process for the centralization and federalization of our private biometric data, while offering very little true benefit. In the words of Congressman Ron Paul, the program “offers us a false sense of greater security at the cost of taking a gigantic step toward making America a police state.”

Its difficult to argue otherwise when passports may soon be necessary to travel domestically.

Natural Citizen
01-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Seems like another Nuremberg trial scenario is the only way our so called representatives would ever be held accountable. As it is they continue to run amok. Damned shame we don't have more statesman like Ron Paul.

mrsat_98
01-30-2015, 09:14 PM

http://www.wnd.com/2015/01/jury-awards-150000-in-mark-of-the-beast-case/

puppetmaster
01-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Yep in Nevada you can opt for a real ID or a standard one ...for now

Working Poor
01-30-2015, 10:46 PM
I hope to god that the airline business crashes bad.

invisible
01-30-2015, 10:54 PM
According to the Department of Homeland Security, only Arizona, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, and American Samoa have not met REAL ID standards as of January 2015.

Why is this information never accurate?!? There was another thread about this about a year ago, where I showed the the ONLY states that do not collect biometric information (biometrics = real id, no matter if they call it that or not) are NH, and possibly ME (unclear because of conflicting information).

Why didn't they bother to mention that the reason for this is because it was sneakily buried as an amendment to a "must pass" disaster relief bill for the hurricane in LA?

Danke
01-30-2015, 11:10 PM
I hope to god that the airline business crashes bad.

It is not the airlines that require this shit.

Any other private business you hope "crash bad" because of government dictates?

staerker
01-30-2015, 11:30 PM

While I never want to blame the victim, airlines are powerful enough to say no to all of this, if they choose to.

It is similar to tech companies complying with the NSA, etc.

Danke
01-30-2015, 11:33 PM
While I never want to blame the victim, airlines are powerful enough to say no to all of this, if they choose to.

Really? There are hundreds of airlines. Who will be the first to go against the TSA, JetBlue? Lufthansa?

staerker
01-30-2015, 11:46 PM
Really? There are hundreds of airlines. Who will be the first to go against the TSA, JetBlue? Lufthansa?

I'm not saying it would be pretty, but when there's something this evil going on, there's a fine line between victim, and enabler.

Danke
01-30-2015, 11:49 PM
I'm not saying it would be pretty, but when there's something this evil going on, there's a fine line between victim, and enabler.

Do you pay federal income taxes?

oyarde
01-30-2015, 11:52 PM
I have been concerned about this , so I put Danke's avatar on my ID some time ago , does not look like me , but nobody seems to notice.Thanks Danke.

staerker
01-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Do you pay federal income taxes?

As noted above, your responsibility to fight back is directly related to your strength.

Weak = victim

Strong = complicit

Now, I realize I may be wrong in the current situation. But the argument remains.

Danke
01-31-2015, 12:00 AM
I have been concerned about this , so I put Danke's avatar on my ID some time ago , does not look like me , but nobody seems to notice.Thanks Danke.

I never thought I'd have to do this, but given that you just made it public, reported.

Danke
01-31-2015, 12:02 AM
As noted above, your responsibility to fight back is directly related to your strength.

Weak = victim

Strong = complicit

Now, I realize I may be wrong in the current situation. But the argument remains.

Why do you think individual airlines are strong wrt the U.S. Government?

oyarde
01-31-2015, 12:56 AM
I never thought I'd have to do this, but given that you just made it public, reported.

LOL , I self report , I am a National Treasure , what can they really do ? if the kill me , :) my Sons , Grandsons will take up a relentless war path .

Pauls' Revere
01-31-2015, 01:04 AM

A company in Sweden inserts chips under the skin.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31042477

idiom
01-31-2015, 02:58 AM
This goes in my 'Americans are weird' folder. Everyone I know has a passport, and they have been biometric for 10 years. The only time I get concerned though is when visiting America. Still the only country to fingerprint me when I visit.

KCIndy
01-31-2015, 03:06 AM

lol

What do you have against blue gloves?

They cause blue balls.

DamianTV
01-31-2015, 04:44 AM
Slightly off topic, but if a Social Security card is NOT supposed to be used as a form of ID, why does EVERYONE DEMAND that you use it as ID?

Social Security Card / Biometric ID = OWNED BY USA STAMP

Remember, they need us more than we need them. This is why the must CONSTANTLY come up with more and more ways to validate their existence.

Working Poor
01-31-2015, 06:28 AM

The airlines could have stood up to this crap. My parents both worked for airlines. They could have handled security themselves and been a lot more concerned for the comfort and privacy of their customers instead they let the government run all over them. I think they deserve to go down IMO. I don't know if anyone remembers how blue the sky was after 9-11 when the planes were not flying. I think the public should have rejected this security shit and opted not to travel by plane. I hate seeing the travel industry being used as a tool for government security BS.

tangent4ronpaul
01-31-2015, 08:08 AM
Both cards require biometric data: a front-facing digital photograph of the passenger’s face, which is ultimately used with a facial recognition database.

You do realize they just banned anyone under the age of 18 from flying, right?

The citizens of that state will be unable to have any dealings with the federal government because their ID will not be accepted.

Last I heard the IRS was part of the federal government... Thanks Real ID Act - no more federal taxes! WOOT!!!

-t

BuddyRey
01-31-2015, 09:27 AM

When said businesses pathetically collude and comply with said government dictates instead of standing up for their customers when they undoubtedly possess the clout and the resources to do so, hell yes. Govsucking crony capitalists get no sympathy from me.

moostraks
01-31-2015, 09:41 AM

You make a valid point. It is easy to have no skin in the game and say well they should (fill in the blank) and save us from this legislation. The customer still has a small amount of power. Problem is that every method of travel is being besieged by this draconian garbage. So option is being limited to walk. Yet, even then the police feel entitled to arrest folks who don't present ID when commanded. Then they can suck your blood out of you and use it for whatever nefarious plans these turds cook up, be it years from now.

So, yep, starve the beast. Squeeze every bit out of their budget. Use whatever legal methods are possible to tank the system. If your conscience commands and/or your situation is right, withhold. No one is listening in Washington, not to anyone who isn't a big money interest.

[Insert Carlin video here]

staerker
01-31-2015, 09:54 AM
Why do you think individual airlines are strong wrt the U.S. Government?

Maybe not a single, individual airline. Therein lies the sadness: the next holocaust is unfolding, and companies are still gnawing at eachother for an extra dollar.

Zippyjuan
01-31-2015, 02:09 PM
I thought that was supposed to happen in 2013. http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20120131-real-id-deadlines-looms

Real ID deadlines looms
Published 31 January 2012

More and more states have adapted the driver’s licenses they issue to meet the requirements of the Real ID Act; several states have not – and they have until 15 January 2013 to do so, or receive an extension from DHS; if these states do not change their driver’s license or receive an extension, their residents will need to start getting passports in order to board commercial airlines

Suzanimal
01-31-2015, 02:15 PM
I thought that was supposed to happen in 2013. http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20120131-real-id-deadlines-looms

They're implementing it in phases.

As of April 2, 2008, all 50 states have either applied for extensions of the original May 11, 2008 compliance deadline or received unsolicited extensions.[16] As of October 2009, 25 states have approved either resolutions or binding legislation not to participate in the program, and with President Obama's selection of Janet Napolitano (a prominent critic of the program) to head the Department of Homeland Security, the future of the law remains uncertain,[17] and bills have been introduced into Congress to amend or repeal it.[18] The most recent of these, dubbed PASS ID, would eliminate many of the more burdensome technological requirements but still require states to meet federal standards in order to have their ID cards accepted by federal agencies.
As of January 2014, 21 states are compliant, 20 states and territories have been granted renewable extensions (until October 10, 2014), and 15 states and territories are noncompliant (but are eligible for extensions).[5]
There are four planned phases, and each of the first three phases will begin with a three-month "notification period" during which noncompliant IDs will continue to be accepted:
Phase 1: restricted areas at the DHS headquarters on Nebraska Avenue
January 20, 2014 – notification period
April 21, 2014 – full enforcement
Phase 2: restricted areas for all federal facilities and nuclear power plants
April 21, 2014 – notification period
July 21, 2014 – full enforcement
Phase 3: semi-restricted areas for remaining federal facilities
October 20, 2014 – notification period
January 19, 2015 – full enforcement
The timeline for Phase 4, which applies to boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft, will be determined after DHS conducts an evaluation of how the first three phases were implemented. To "ensure that the public has ample advanced [sic] notice", DHS says that Phase 4 will not be implemented before January 1, 2016

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

Zippyjuan
01-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Thanks.

DHS says that Phase 4 will not be implemented before January 1, 2016

So it could be even later that that.

From their website: http://www.dhs.gov/news/2013/12/20/dhs-releases-phased-enforcement-schedule-real-id

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will continue to accept driver’s licenses and state-issued identification cards from all jurisdictions until at least 2016. DHS will ensure the public has ample advanced notice before identification requirements for boarding aircraft change.

My ID expires in 2016 so I suppose they will issue me the new one then (look for a gold star in a round circle to see if you have a compliant ID). I do have a passport. Curious how they handle states like Arizona which give you a license with a 40 year expiration date (they don't expire until you are 65 though they request a new photo every 12 years- so why not a 12 year id?)

surf
01-31-2015, 03:41 PM
it's not April 1st, is it?