PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Emerges As The Successor To Daniel Patrick Moynihan

NACBA
01-30-2015, 08:09 AM
Rand Paul recently sat with me to share some of his views. The insights on his worldview left me persuaded that he deserves to be considered the most important public intellectual serving in the United States Senate. Time Magazine calls him “the most interesting man in American politics.”

The Senate’s public intellectual chair has been vacant since the departure of Daniel Patrick Moynihan. As an M.D. rather than a Ph.D. Paul is less academic than was Moynihan. Yet Paul demonstrates a comparable wit, keen intelligence, and coherent worldview.

Sen. Paul works from the premise that people are more competent at solving our own (and each other’s) problems than is the government. The (sometimes) well-intended denizens of the nation’s capital have only one tool: government. Humanistic psychologist Abraham Maslow wrote in The Psychology of Science (1966) something that has been paraphrased into lore: “if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/2015/01/30/rand-paul-emerges-as-the-successor-to-daniel-patrick-moynihan/

Foreigner
01-31-2015, 09:15 AM
I don't know who Daniel Patrick Moynihan is, but the article was really good. Rand is a really smart guy, it must be frustrating for him to have to condense his ideas down to soundbites and rhetoric everybody can understand. The same goes for a guy like Ted Cruz, who comes off as purposely stupid at times, but is incredibly smart. (Not that I support Cruz and his hawkish foreign policy)

PaleoPaul
02-02-2015, 02:57 AM
DPM was a lefty progressive Senator from New York. When he retired from the Senate, Hitlary replaced him.

sylcfh
02-02-2015, 05:56 PM
"No alternative?" Moynihan sputtered. "There's
chaos already. Things could get vastly worse." The senior
senator from New York, now in his fourth term, has never been
diffident about expressing his ever-shifting views. A few decades
ago, he might have been heard inveighing with equal fervor against
the same social programs that he now defends. In foreign policy,
Moynihan went from hawkish nemesis of the New Left to critic of
Reaganite anti-Soviet excess. Framed magazine covers from the
Nation in 1979 and the New Republic in 1981 hang
in his office. The first is titled "Moynihan: the Conscience