PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul's Difficult Romance With Kochworld [Dave Weigel in Bloomberg Poltics]

anaconda
01-28-2015, 08:49 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-01-28/rand-paul-s-difficult-romance-with-kochworld

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
01-28-2015, 09:59 PM
He's sold out on trade agreements; I don't know what else they want from him now. WTF?

WD-NY
01-28-2015, 11:54 PM
Serious question for my fellow RPFers - what the heck is Weigel's issue with Rand? He hits him harder and more frequently than almost any other political reporter (who doesn't openly write for a partisan outlet like HuffPost, NationalReview, etc). If his articles were openly biased hit pieces, there wouldn't be any issue, but because they're not, they get a lot more traction/pick-up by other "fair and balanced" reporters working at other major networks and pubs.

Openly leftist reporters spinning Rand in the most negative way possible is easy enough to combat - but continued attacks from a reporter like Weigel, who got his start writing for Libertarian mags and purports to understand the movement and people/ideas/etc inspired by it better than anyone else, is a different fish kettle of fish altogether (as attacks from people on your own side always are).

I'm sure Doug Stafford and Co. are well aware of this and are working to warm relations ahead of 2016 (given that Weigel will be one of the small gang of reporters shaping the narrative from on the ground), but perhaps some thoughts on possible reasons for Weigel's massive dislike of Rand might be helpful to them (assuming they sometimes check these boards or are forwarded threads with actionable content)

cero
01-29-2015, 12:22 AM
He's sold out on trade agreements; I don't know what else they want from him now. WTF?

Pls tell me this isn't true

anaconda
01-29-2015, 12:37 AM

Wouldn't the Kochs and Rand want to remove barriers to trade? What is the sell out you are referring to? Just curious.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
01-29-2015, 01:27 AM
Ron Paul always voted against "trade agreements" because they aren't about free trade, they are about globally-managed trade and global government. Rand acknowledges that and that they should constitutionally be treated as treaties, but he supports them them anyway.

idiom
01-29-2015, 01:28 AM
but for a reporter like Weigel, who got his start writing for Libertarian mags

I think you answered your own question.

Rothbards 11th commandment. Thou shalt not speak well of another libertarian.

idiom
01-29-2015, 01:34 AM

According to the article he defended free trade, not free trade agreements. Its the same as opening up Cuba. Free Trade is the opposite of Isolationism.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
01-29-2015, 01:44 AM
Senator Paul has made statements outside of this article.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
01-29-2015, 01:56 AM
Serious question for my fellow RPFers - what the heck is Weigel's issue with Rand?

It's no great mystery. Wiegel is a left-establishment weasel. He knows where his bread is buttered, and that is in sliming any outsider movement-- most certainly including the Pauls. He was actually at USA TODAY before Reason He just saw Reason as a useful stepping stone in his career as a bootlicker.

KingNothing
01-29-2015, 11:00 AM
I very much do not like Weigel, but that article doesn't really seem like a hit piece.

jbauer
01-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Ron Paul always voted against "trade agreements" because they aren't about free trade, they are about globally-managed trade and global government. Rand acknowledges that and that they should constitutionally be treated as treaties, but he supports them them anyway.

When are people going to get over that Rand is not Ron and Ron is not Rand. Judge Rand for Rand rather then against his father. I doubt that during the rest of your life you probably wont run across another Ron Paul. The guy gave a great speech and told the truth 99% of the time. Where as politicians maybe tell the truth....what 5% of time? Might be kinda high with that guess.

Brett85
01-29-2015, 11:15 AM

He supports them because he thinks the good outweighs the bad. He thinks the lower tariffs outweigh the unnecessary regulations and other bad parts of it. A lot of libertarians only look at the bad parts of bills and never look at the good parts, and Rand just doesn't agree with that.

NewRightLibertarian
01-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Serious question for my fellow RPFers - what the heck is Weigel's issue with Rand? He hits him harder and more frequently than almost any other political reporter (who don't openly write for a partisan outlet like HuffPost, NationalReview, etc). If they were transparently biased and/or negative hit pieces, there wouldn't be any issue, but because his articles aren't transparent hit pieces like you'd find on MSNBC, they get more traction/pick-up by other "fair and balanced" reporters working at other major networks and/or outlets.

It's one thing for openly leftist reporters to spin Rand in the most negative way possible...as such is to be expected - but for a reporter like Weigel, who got his start writing for Libertarian mags and purports to understand the movement and people/ideas/etc inspired by it better than anyone else is a harder to swallow.

Im sure Doug Stafford and Co. are well aware of this and are working to warm relations ahead of 2016 (given that Weigel will be one of the small gang of reporters shaping the narrative from on the ground), but perhaps some thoughts on possible reasons for Weigel's massive dislike of Rand might be helpful to them (assuming they sometimes check these boards or are forwarded threads with actionable content)

Remember who broke the 'news' of Ron Paul's racist newsletters? It was Weigel. This pizza faced wretch is a snake, and always has been.

jbauer
01-29-2015, 11:20 AM

"Paul made a defense of free trade"

Trade agreement =/= free trade

NewRightLibertarian
01-29-2015, 11:37 AM
He supports them because he thinks the good outweighs the bad. He thinks the lower tariffs outweigh the unnecessary regulations and other bad parts of it. A lot of libertarians only look at the bad parts of bills and never look at the good parts, and Rand just doesn't agree with that.

Don't think you're fooling anyone with your BS around here. Rand is selling out on AT LEAST the TPP issue, and everyone knows it. Expect more of this garbage as he surrounds himself with establishment snakes and works toward 2016.

anaconda
01-29-2015, 04:05 PM
Don't think you're fooling anyone with your BS around here. Rand is selling out on AT LEAST the TPP issue, and everyone knows it. Expect more of this garbage as he surrounds himself with establishment snakes and works toward 2016.

Maybe the tables will turn to where the "donors" are coming to Rand, rather than the visa versa.