PDA

View Full Version : Critics Slam Mississippi Bill That Equates Pit Bulls And 'Dangerous Dogs'

Suzanimal
01-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Critics Slam Mississippi Bill That Equates Pit Bulls And 'Dangerous Dogs'

Mississippi state lawmakers have introduced a first-of-its-kind bill that would, in part, allow police officers, without a warrant, to enter any home where they believe a pit bull or other "dangerous dog" might be present.

In addition, under House Bill 1261, police may kill the animals if two of the following three factors apply:
The dogs are "not under proper restraint when on the premises of its owner."
They aren't wearing vaccination tags on their necks.
They are still running around after "attempts to peacefully capture the dog have been made and proven unsuccessful."

The measure, also known as the Mississippi Regulation of Dangerous Dogs Act, is meant to "create civil and criminal penalties for failing to keep dangerous dogs securely confined and under restraint, and for failing to meet certain requirements designed to protect the public."

If the bill -- introduced Jan. 19 and sponsored by four Republican lawmakers -- becomes law, Mississippi would be alone in having this kind of state-wide discriminatory legislation specifically calling out pit bulls.

"This bill would make Mississippi the only state in the nation with a statewide policy discriminating against a specific dog breed, and the impact on local communities, animal shelters, and law enforcement would be disastrous," says Chloe Waterman, senior manager of state legislative strategy for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. "Dogs permitted by their owners to run loose, and dogs who attack people or other animals, pose a serious problem to public safety. But breed-specific dangerous dog laws are ineffective, inhumane and costly."

Indeed, jurisdictions across the country have begun scrapping anti-pit laws and regulations, and on Jan. 1, Utah became the 19th state to get rid of breed-specific legislation altogether.

Of course, H.B. 1261 raises a slew of concerns on its own, especially the issue of warrantless searches and seizures.

"The fourth amendment clearly protects people from such actions," observes Kris Diaz, executive director of a group that advocates for breed-neutral legislation, who called attention to the Mississippi bill on her blog. "This bill effectively removes any protections people have from unreasonable search and seizure, and opens the door to using a dangerous dog claim as a way to scrutinize people for things they couldn’t otherwise get a warrant for."

University of Florida law professor Darren Hutchinson agrees.

"Anything that tries to eliminate the need for a warrant to enter into a home raises huge fourth amendment concerns," he says.

Echoing those statements, Aimee Shaw, founder of Mississippi-based Shaw Pit Bull Rescue, says the bill doesn't even "address the bigger issue."

"We need specific laws that issue stiffer fines and punishment for animal abuse, neglect and dog fighting," she says. "The costs associated with enforcing H.B. 1261 could be better utilized in promoting spay/neuter, and training police officers in dog body language to prevent the needless killing of family dogs. Education is the key, not discrimination."

She's also worried that passage of the bill would make euthanasia rates "go through the roof."

"There are so many breeds that are mistaken for pit bulls that would be euthanized, as well -- labs, boxers, hounds, the list goes on," she says.

The bill in part defines a "dangerous dog" as a pit bull, but that definition is also problematic.

Under H.B. 1261, a pit bull is in "a class of dogs that specifically includes the breeds of American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bulldog, and any other pure bred or mixed breed dog that is a combination of these dog breeds."

"This would mean that if a dog was 1 percent pit bull, it could fall under the definition as written," says Fred Kray, a lawyer who hosts a weekly podcast on pit bulls and the law. "There is no government rational basis for banning a dog that is 99 percent Lab and 1 percent pit bull. There is no scientific or any evidence whatsoever genetically or behaviorally, that such a dog would be a danger to the public safety."

The Huffington Post asked the bill's four sponsors -- Republicans Larry Byrd, Randy Boyd, Lester Carpenter and Tommy Taylor -- to address the concerns about their proposed law but did not receive an immediate response.

For now, the bill has been referred to the House of Representatives' Judiciary B committee, according to the website. It is unclear if a vote or hearing has been scheduled.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/26/mississippi-pit-bull-bill_n_6543414.html

chudrockz
01-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I expect FB will blow up with petitions and links to email, etc., soon. I'll do my part to help that happen.

I knew very little about "pit bulls" two year ago, except that our neighbor had two and they seemed like very nice dogs. Now that I have two of my own, I doubt I'd ever own another breed. They are TERRIFIC dogs.

Here's me with one of my two dangerous killers. :)

http://i60.tinypic.com/14xo4z9.jpg

Legend1104
01-27-2015, 06:42 PM
This is ridiculous and very dangerous. So they would be able to search my home just because they believe there might be a "dangerous animal." Ok, who gets to decide if there is an animal in my house and if it is dangerous? Then they can kill my animal if it does not have a vaccine collar and does not come when the police say come. Please Mississippians do not stand for this. Contact your Representatives. Mark my words, this will lead to the end of what remains of our 4th Amendment rights. Next they will be coming in for guns because they believe the gun owner is a "dangerous animal."

I love being a Mississippian, but sometimes my compatriots here make my head hurt.

Suzanimal
01-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Look at that dangerous dog...

Thanks for the info. I expect FB will blow up with petitions and links to email, etc., soon. I'll do my part to help that happen.

I knew very little about "pit bulls" two year ago, except that our neighbor had two and they seemed like very nice dogs. Now that I have two of my own, I doubt I'd ever own another breed. They are TERRIFIC dogs.

Here's me with one of my two dangerous killers. :)

http://i60.tinypic.com/14xo4z9.jpg

DamianTV
01-27-2015, 08:24 PM
The bill has NOTHING to do with Dogs. Dogs are an excuse. Kids are an excuse. Drugs are an excuse. They will continue to legislate the idea of "We do not need a fucking warrant" for every excuse they can dream up until it becomes LAW.

Vitamins? Dont need a Warrant
Anti Vaccine? Dont need a Warrant
Anti GMO? Dont need a Warrant
Ex Military? Dont need a Warrant
Cop Oopsed? Dont need a Warrant
Have a Dog? Dont need a Warrant
Have a Kid? Dont need a Warrant
Drugs? Dont need a Warrant
Vegetable Garden? Dont need a Warrant
Muslim? Dont need a Warrant
Ron Paul supporter? Dont need a Warrant
Mental Illness? Dont need a Warrant
Brown? Dont need a Warrant
Atheist? Dont need a Warrant
Cash? Dont need a Warrant
Drive? Dont need a Warrant
Snow? Dont need a Warrant
Suspect At Large? Dont need a Warrant
Gun? Dont need a Warrant
Permit for Gun? Dont need a Warrant

Are you kinda starting to see the PATTERN here? Dont need a fucking Warrant because they say they dont need a fucking Warrant.

EVERYTHING is Probable Cause, just as every potential Problem becomes a Nail when you are a Hammer.

phill4paul
01-27-2015, 08:46 PM
A dog is a dog. Before it is a dog it is a puppy. It comes into this world seeking it's part in the pack. Much like humans. It wants to be pleased and rewarded for pleasing. Within a healthy pack, much like humans, a puppy will find it's place. It will learn the social norms of the pack. It doesn't matter which breed of dog. No puppy comes into life as a killer. However, like humans, some come into this world damaged. It is very few. And it is not prone to any breed. I've seen German Shepherds, Rottweillers, Dobermens, St. Bernhards (Thank Stephen King) and now Pitbulls in the line of excoriation and targeting as "dangerous." It's bullshit.

DamianTV
01-27-2015, 09:16 PM
A dog is a dog. Before it is a dog it is a puppy. It comes into this world seeking it's part in the pack. Much like humans. It wants to be pleased and rewarded for pleasing. Within a healthy pack, much like humans, a puppy will find it's place. It will learn the social norms of the pack. It doesn't matter which breed of dog. No puppy comes into life as a killer. However, like humans, some come into this world damaged. It is very few. And it is not prone to any breed. I've seen German Shepherds, Rottweillers, Dobermens, St. Bernhards (Thank Stephen King) and now Pitbulls in the line of excoriation and targeting as "dangerous." It's bullshit.

Fearmongering to validate the existence of the State, its Laws, and Removal of Rights. Read the first line again as it is the most important part:

Mississippi state lawmakers have introduced a first-of-its-kind bill that would, in part, allow police officers, without a warrant, to enter any home where they believe a pit bull or other "dangerous dog" might be present.

phill4paul
01-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Fearmongering to validate the existence of the State, its Laws, and Removal of Rights. Read the first line again as it is the most important part:

Indeed...From the Bill....

(a) (i) "Dangerous dog" means:
34 1. Any pit bull dog in a class of dogs that
35 specifically includes the breeds of American pit bull terrier,
36 American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier,
37 American bulldog, and any other pure bred or mixed breed dog that
38 is a combination of these dog breeds.

Geez they called them terriers as much as pit bulls. But terriers just don't sound as menacing...do they?

From now on I'm gonna refer to Newman as a terrier.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10846511_10204059161054239_2175737658246716410_n.j pg?oh=ba0ee991159c8f5b906ac74706d56561&oe=5560E67E&__gda__=1431451947_0398595d382a9b051e0996fa29b74d5 c

euphemia
01-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Our small dog is a rescue. He was abused by his previous owners, and we have had a real job of it to help him live with confidence. He is still a fear biter. He does not fear us, but we have no illusions that he will never bite a stranger.

Dogs are only as good as their owners. People will get from their pets what they put into them.

I have a friend who thinks dogs are better people than some people he knows. I'm inclined to agree.

TomKat
01-27-2015, 11:23 PM
Dogs are only as good as their owners. People will get from their pets what they put into them.

This is so true. Every APBT owner I have ever met has been the most loving dog owner and their dog was the same to the public. I also try not to associate with assholes nor meet their dogs so I may be biased on this one.

acptulsa
01-28-2015, 08:56 AM

Indeed...From the Bill....

(a) (i) "Dangerous dog" means:
34 1. Any pit bull dog in a class of dogs that
35 specifically includes the breeds of American pit bull terrier,
36 American Staffordshire terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier,
37 American bulldog, and any other pure bred or mixed breed dog that
38 is a combination of these dog breeds.

Geez they called them terriers as much as pit bulls. But terriers just don't sound as menacing...do they?

From now on I'm gonna refer to Newman as a terrier.

Phil, phil, phil--it isn't about the dogs. Let me try that quote again. Damien didn't quite get right down to the heart of the matter, let's see if I can:

Mississippi state lawmakers have introduced a first-of-its-kind bill that would, in part, allow police officers, without a warrant, to enter any home where they believe...

They fill in the blank with anything. Where they believe there's a drug, where they believe there's a gun, where they believe someone's
flushing evidence of something down a toilet, where they believe someone is picking his nose--the point of the law is not this breed of dog, or that breed of dog, it's 'unconstitutionally enter your home without a warrant.'

Here's a question to ask: If a dog is locked in a house, be it a chihuahua or a gray wolf, how is it dangerous? Dangerous to whom? Dangerous to the couch?

If you want to stir up a nice, strong populist movement against this legislative turd, try calling it The Great Mississippi Carpet and Drapery Protection Act of 2105.

chudrockz
01-28-2015, 09:14 AM
This is so true. Every APBT owner I have ever met has been the most loving dog owner and their dog was the same to the public. I also try not to associate with assholes nor meet their dogs so I may be biased on this one.

Before my gramma passed away two years ago at age 102 we brought our fresh from the Humane Society adoptee Snowflake to meet her. Gramma was confined to bed and very weak, so I told the dog "up GENTLE!" and (holding the leash) let her climb up. She kept her back feet on the floor, and pulled her head with her front feet until it was over my gramma's hand, and then gently put her head down and licked her hand. My gramma was absolutely tickled. I was completely amazed and in love with the dog we had only had at that point for maybe a week.

jbauer
01-28-2015, 09:31 AM
I don't think its the Governments job to pick dog breeds but the only dogs I've ever come across that have been a problem have been pitbulls. Truth be told there's plenty of good pitbulls but theres just as many on the other side of the fence.

As long as we hold dog owner accountable for the actions of their dogs I think most of the issues would wash themselves away. If you want to have a breed that needs a constant loving relationship thats great. The Pit will probably be a good dog for you. If not, buy something else.